Help with Utah tags

Huntinfool18

I have 8 points for elk in Utah. Are there any decent hunts that I might have a chance at getting? Rifle or muzzle loader. Thanks for any insight

With 8 points, you will have to look at archery hunts for any remote chance at getting a tag on a decent unit. You are a long ways out for rifle or muzzy and point creep will keep pushing it further and further away as well. Not to be a downer, but that is the reality.

If you want to hunt, you better go Archery. The good thing is, the last week of the Archery elk hunts could put you into the rut, so its not a bad option...

Otherwise, for muzzy or rifle, you'd be winning the lottery to draw a tag. Good luck either way

I would go for archery or muzzleoader Manti with 8 points. Or you could try Wasatch. They both give a lot of tags and you get could lucky

Yes and when I say lucky I meant drawing the tag. Both units hold plenty of elk and you would have fun on either of them. Don't know what caliber bull you are looking for but 315 is pretty achievable. I know everyone want the biggest animal on the mountain but I would say that's pretty close to average size bull on those units between the different hunts.

Telling someone to archery hunt who is not an archery hunter is really bad advice. May not be the case here but please do not hunt archery just to “draw a decent tag” if you are not proficient with a bow. Rant over
I asked him on the deer forum if he did archery. But yes completely agree

Telling someone to archery hunt who is not an archery hunter is really bad advice. May not be the case here but please do not hunt archery just to “draw a decent tag” if you are not proficient with a bow. Rant over
Soooo how long does someone have to hunt with a bow to be an "Archery hunter"..? He could buy his first bow today and shoot 10000 arrows between now and any Archery season next year. Would that be proficient enough..? What is proficient with a bow..? 2 inch groups at 100 yards.? How would anyone EVER become an "Archery hunter" unless they jump in as a novice at some point.?

Soooo how long does someone have to hunt with a bow to be an "Archery hunter"..? He could buy his first bow today and shoot 10000 arrows between now and any Archery season next year. Would that be proficient enough..? What is proficient with a bow..? 2 inch groups at 100 yards.? How would anyone EVER become an "Archery hunter" unless they jump in as a novice at some point.?

I would say the one who is not an "archery hunter" is the one who applies for a Sept elk archery tag as a third choice (talking NM here), and buying they're bow in late June or mid July, then going hunting with it 6 weeks later.

Guy asks about rifle tags, bunch a guys tell him to draw an archery tag. Bad advice. But to answer your questions some guys are never proficient. I’ve seen “archers” that can barley put 3 arrows on a block target at 30 yards the two times they shoot all year mid august and slap them selves on the back saying “ good to go!!” .

And a guy that expressed zero interest in an archery tag to begin with (OP) probably isn’t real interested in becoming an archer. But if that’s what it takes to get the big one by god I’m going archery hunting!!

I really wish you had to pass a field test to buy an archery tag. That would save a lot of wounded game

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom