Hemi or Cummins?

nmwapiti

So I am stepping up to a 3/4 ton truck. I have always owned smaller 1/2 ton trucks. I will be hauling a 3-4 horse trailer during the hunting season with 2-3 horses and gear. My guess is around 2-3,000 miles per year towing, trailer, horses and gear about 8-9,000 pounds would be my guess. Payload is not a concern, towing is my main focus. Rest of the time will be daily driver, I put about 30,000 miles a year on my vehicle with my job.
I've never owned a diesel truck. I know they are more expensive to maintain and diesel is about .50-.75 more per gallon than gas here in NM. So is the extra cost of the vehicle itself and the maintenance/operating cost going to be worth it in the long run or is it overkill for my needs? I know a gasser will get less MPG while towing and probably overall MPG will be less than diesel but the cost to maintain and the cost of fuel is less. I won't be breaking any speed records on climbs but overall, it will safely tow the weight and get me to my destination. Thoughts?

I pull a 4 horse bumper pull loaded, with my gear in the back of the truck, over rabbit ears pass here in colorado every fall. I drive an older 3/4 ton with a 460. It's 30mph up and over but I'm in no hurry and enjoy the scenery. It's alot cheaper as u say, all the way around. If I had to do it everyday it would b different.

Compare the MPG while towing. The diesel will do much better the than the gas. MY cummins empty gets 18-20mpg pushing 550hp. Towing I get 10-14 depending on load and climb.
These Wyoming mountains are not friendly for climbing.

im towing a 7500 pound gooseneck trailer and add all my gear and 5 horses that's some weight to where a gas could hardly do it.

Im not a gas guy at all. I love the diesel so much I bought another cummins just for a run around truck. Gets better mpg than your half tons.

2-3k miles a year towing? Get the Hemi as the price for the diesel just ain't worth the added cost and I am a diesel guy. Love um but my next truck will be gas.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

I went back to gas last year and haven't regreted it once. It takes me an extra 10 minutes in slower hills and 6 dollars pulling to my 200 mile destination a handful of times a year. Whooppdee-do!

The cost of replacing one injector on that diesel and their goes any fuel efficiency savings you think you may have gained.

I say think, because their aint much differenc in fuel efficiency. This is comparing my old 5.8 Cumming to my 6.0 Chevy Vortec.
Gas: 20 Gals @ 9 mpg(pulling) @ $3.00/gal = $.33/mile
Diesel: 20 Gals @ 12 mpg(pulling) @ $3.70/gal = $.30/mile

Got My Ass KICKED So hard By a CUMMINS a few Weeks ago it was like I put it in Reverse!

After He made me Inhale He showed me a couple Times He could Break-Em Loose at 70 MPH!

He was Boasting BANKS/TWIN Turbo's in the Back Window!

You Pull up to Him you'd Best Have Your Sshhitt Together!

He had two 10" SMOKE STACKS!

Needed Both of them!:D

Not a New Truck Niether,about a 2002!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

>Vortex sticker too? mtmuley

If there was a Vortex Sticker?

I couldn't see it!:D

I think its cheaper to run a diesel if your using it to work. I had a 2007 cummins with the 5.9 and at 207,xxx miles the stock clutch finally went out. Other than that the truck has never been touched or worked on. The truck even weighed over 13,000 pounds and some change.

A poor gasser would never take that abuse in the oil field like that truck did. I use to run a gasser and seems like I was always fixing something.

Out in the oil field here everyone switched to diesels due them being so reliable.

Once you drive one its so hard to turn back. With some tinkering they are fun to build if you like that kind of thing

If you are in the mud, snow and slop a lot you'll like the gasser. Diesel aren't much fun offroad. If you're pulling under 10K and only a few times a year a gasser will suit your needs better. With the amount of miles you're putting on each year the diesel will hold better resale value. I wouldn't put much stock in to a diesel lasting longer. With all the BS emission crap on them nowadays they are breathing their own farts. The extra cost of DEF needs to be put in the final decision too. If you don't mind used I'd buy an 07 5.9 or up to a 2012 6.7 that can be deleted.
With all that being saidI really like my 14 Cummins, but I have a jeep for all my grocery getter needs and off road needs.

Traditional >>>------->

We pull heavy and Cruz at 70 with my Hemi.pulling a 21ft. Toyhauler, ATV, 100 gal. Water tank full. Gear for two weeks, Awesome power. Goes through a bit of fuel but the power is awesome. We chose the gas over diesel for a couple reasons. Wanted only to carry in one type of fuel, odor of emissions, and if your going to use that truck for hunt'n. At low idle off road 4x4 the game will be headed to the next county with the exhaust noise of a diesel.

Good luck choosing what's best for you.?

))))------->

The newer gas pickups are so far ahead of gassers from 10 years ago they aren't even really comparable. I tow a 9k 5th wheel behind my F150 with no issues whatsoever. If your only towing 8-9k I'd look at a new half ton. The F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost, or the GM with the 6.2 are the best for towing. Of course, a ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi would get it done as well.

Their really isn't good argument for a new diesel unless you routinely tow really heavy loads.

2a0fcsk.gif

>
>The newer gas pickups are so
>far ahead of gassers from
>10 years ago they aren't
>even really comparable. I tow
>a 9k 5th wheel behind
>my F150 with no issues
>whatsoever. If your only towing
>8-9k I'd look at a
>new half ton. The F150
>with the 3.5 ecoboost, or
>the GM with the 6.2
>are the best for towing.
>Of course, a ram 2500
>with the 6.4 Hemi would
>get it done as well.
>
>
>Their really isn't good argument for
>a new diesel unless you
>routinely tow really heavy loads.
>
>
>
2a0fcsk.gif

You are absolutely correct!! I have been researching the F150 ecoboosts and the more I research them the more I am impressed. I think that is the route I will be taking.

Hold Your Horses Boys!

The New 2017 FORD RAPTOR should be a Bowtie/RAM Eatin SOB!

They Ain't Sure on Ponies yet?

Twin Turbo Eco-Boost!

Ya!

I'm sure Chevy & Dodge is workin on it too!

A F'N Power Play from year to year!

>You are absolutely correct!! I have
>been researching the F150 ecoboosts
>and the more I research
>them the more I am
>impressed. I think that is
>the route I will be
>taking.

Should be a good time to buy, most of the dealers around here still have a few 14's kicking around. If possible, get the max tow package!
2a0fcsk.gif

If your not towing heavy or a lot, gas is the way to go. Diesels are junk off road, and the mileage really isn't that much better if stock. That said, I'd hate to be without mine. Awfully nice to tow with. And the EcoBust? Wouldn't sell me one until I see how well they last. I'd have to think running a motor that small so hard with the turbos, that engine would be gutted by a 100k? Anyone know?

They've been out 5 or so years now, seems like we would have heard about reliability issues if there were any. Also, it's not the kind of truck someone buys to tow heavy loads around all day, every day. Those guys are still gonna buy one ton diesels.

2a0fcsk.gif

>If your not towing heavy or
>a lot, gas is the
>way to go. Diesels are
>junk off road, and the
>mileage really isn't that much
>better if stock. That said,
>I'd hate to be without
>mine. Awfully nice to tow
>with. And the EcoBust? Wouldn't
>sell me one until I
>see how well they last.
>I'd have to think running
>a motor that small so
>hard with the turbos, that
>engine would be gutted by
>a 100k? Anyone know?

Every ecoboost in our fleet has been so much more likely to spend time in the shop we have moved exclusively to Dodge for patrol cars and suvs.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>>If your not towing heavy or
>>a lot, gas is the
>>way to go. Diesels are
>>junk off road, and the
>>mileage really isn't that much
>>better if stock. That said,
>>I'd hate to be without
>>mine. Awfully nice to tow
>>with. And the EcoBust? Wouldn't
>>sell me one until I
>>see how well they last.
>>I'd have to think running
>>a motor that small so
>>hard with the turbos, that
>>engine would be gutted by
>>a 100k? Anyone know?
>
>
>Every ecoboost in our fleet has
>been so much more likely
>to spend time in the
>shop we have moved exclusively
>to Dodge for patrol cars
>and suvs.
>
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

So 1911???

Is it Engine Related Problems or something else?

Also?

As far as Power/Speed,how do they compare in the Cop Cars?

Some food for thought..........

I've got a 2001 cummins and it has been a great truck. Just know if you are going to go with the diesel, be prepared to lay a little money aside for maintenance.

Those things ain't cheap to maintain! Right now I am dealing with the ole' dead peddle trick that the VP44 injection pump does to you when you least expect it. Only way to cure it is to replace the pump. Do it yourself, it's right around $1,250.00 for a stock replacement. If you want to upgrade, add another $600.00 to the injection pump and $300.00 to $400.00 more for a high flow lift pump.

While you're in there, if you are thinking of upgrading the pump, would be a great idea to install higher horsepower injectors. The whole process on these diesels is a snowball effect.

People just think they can throw a chip on their stock diesel and its gonna run like a raped ape. What they don't understand about these rigs is that the fuel lines and pumps have to be upgraded to keep up with what that chip is telling the truck to do. The injection pump pumps more fuel than the engine consumes for a reason.

There is a recirculation line on the pump which sends the extra unneeded fuel back to the fuel tank. This recirculation is critical in the cooling of the pump. The fuel is used to both lubricate the pump and COOL it. If you start throwing high performance crap on your rig, be prepared to spend even more money on replacing failed components around the engine.

Now, if you're like me and just want a reliable truck, leave it stock and run like it was intended to be ran. JUST MAKE SURE YOU DRIVE IT!!! That is what ultimately killed my fuel system! 2001 cummins with 69,000 miles on it! It now needs injectors, lift pump and injection pump. $1,800.00 to do it myself..... All because Idid not drive it like you are supposed to drive those diesels!

Good luck on your decision!

WTH You doing Blood?

PusssFootin it around?

I Ran an 03 CUMMINS with a 100 Horsepower/200 Ft LBS Torque Chip from the Day it was Born!

She Ran 300,000+ Miles before She Ate it's 1st Injector!

I don't Believe in Over Chipping/Programming a Diesel that you're gonna use for a Work Horse!

But when it Increases the Fuel Mileage and the Power it's all Good!

These Newer Trucks are Built for Pussssies!

Try & Find me a Diesel or a Gas Rig with 4:10 Gears & a Manual 6 Speed Trans!

Hey elkass....look at this new rig I saw the other day on lot at dealership where I usually go when I buy a new PU.
22382015gmc2500duramax.jpg

And here is the price tag asking price.
4678pricetagwoptionalequipment.jpg

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

And You didn't whip your Pocket change out Huh kilo & Buy the 81K Truck?

>>>If your not towing heavy or
>>>a lot, gas is the
>>>way to go. Diesels are
>>>junk off road, and the
>>>mileage really isn't that much
>>>better if stock. That said,
>>>I'd hate to be without
>>>mine. Awfully nice to tow
>>>with. And the EcoBust? Wouldn't
>>>sell me one until I
>>>see how well they last.
>>>I'd have to think running
>>>a motor that small so
>>>hard with the turbos, that
>>>engine would be gutted by
>>>a 100k? Anyone know?
>>
>>
>>Every ecoboost in our fleet has
>>been so much more likely
>>to spend time in the
>>shop we have moved exclusively
>>to Dodge for patrol cars
>>and suvs.
>>
>>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>
>So 1911???
>
>Is it Engine Related Problems or
>something else?
>
>Also?
>
>As far as Power/Speed,how do they
>compare in the Cop Cars?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> We
>laugh, we cry, we love
>
> Go hard when the going's
>tough
> Push back, come push and
>shove
> Knock us down, we'll get
>back up again and again
>
>We are Members of the Huntin
>Crowd!

They are light and nimble. Off the line they will beat the 5.7 until about 60 then the 5.7 leaves them in the dust.

As far as problems, most have been turbo and gasket issues. Some electronic issues as well. The other down side for the sedan has been if you get one new tire ...flat or whatever....you buy four. with the all wheel drive it Jacks the sensors up if the OD of the tires don't match up perfectly. We have one in my area that has been in the shop as much as the other 20 Dodge vehicles in my area combined. The sedan also has nasty blind spots.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>>>>If your not towing heavy or
>>>>a lot, gas is the
>>>>way to go. Diesels are
>>>>junk off road, and the
>>>>mileage really isn't that much
>>>>better if stock. That said,
>>>>I'd hate to be without
>>>>mine. Awfully nice to tow
>>>>with. And the EcoBust? Wouldn't
>>>>sell me one until I
>>>>see how well they last.
>>>>I'd have to think running
>>>>a motor that small so
>>>>hard with the turbos, that
>>>>engine would be gutted by
>>>>a 100k? Anyone know?
>>>
>>>
>>>Every ecoboost in our fleet has
>>>been so much more likely
>>>to spend time in the
>>>shop we have moved exclusively
>>>to Dodge for patrol cars
>>>and suvs.
>>>
>>>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>>
>>So 1911???
>>
>>Is it Engine Related Problems or
>>something else?
>>
>>Also?
>>
>>As far as Power/Speed,how do they
>>compare in the Cop Cars?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> We
>>laugh, we cry, we love
>>
>> Go hard when the going's
>>tough
>> Push back, come push and
>>shove
>> Knock us down, we'll get
>>back up again and again
>>
>>We are Members of the Huntin
>>Crowd!
>
>
>
>They are light and nimble.
>Off the line they will
>beat the 5.7 until about
>60 then the 5.7 leaves
>them in the dust.
>
>As far as problems, most have
>been turbo and gasket issues.
> Some electronic issues as
>well. The other down
>side for the sedan has
>been if you get one
>new tire ...flat or whatever....you
>buy four. with the
>all wheel drive it Jacks
>the sensors up if the
>OD of the tires don't
>match up perfectly. We
>have one in my area
>that has been in the
>shop as much as the
>other 20 Dodge vehicles in
>my area combined. The
>sedan also has nasty blind
>spots.
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

They'd Best get that Sshhitt fixed!

Tires,especially Right Fronts wear down Quicker than the other 3 Tires!

So in 20K let's say you'll probably be throwing a 1/2 worn out set of tires away & Buyin a new set?

JUDAS!

I think if I were in the market for a half ton as an everyday commuter, occasional tow, I'd look real serious at the Eco diesel Dodge in the same neighborhood price wise as the EcoBust. Those little buggers go 27 mpg/ 17 towing I'm told by a guy who bought one last year. There's a reason the diesels still run like day one even after the doors fall off in 300k. I don't see any way the EcoBust would run day one strong when the mileage gets up there. I've never seen a gasser that hasn't lost half its nut after 100-150k. Every one I've ever bought (all new) started getting tired around 100k. But with the price of either, I'm glad I'm not the one looking.

>I think if I were in
>the market for a half
>ton as an everyday commuter,
>occasional tow, I'd look real
>serious at the Eco diesel
>Dodge in the same neighborhood
>price wise as the EcoBust.
>Those little buggers go 27
>mpg/ 17 towing I'm told
>by a guy who bought
>one last year. There's a
>reason the diesels still run
>like day one even after
>the doors fall off in
>300k. I don't see any
>way the EcoBust would run
>day one strong when the
>mileage gets up there. I've
>never seen a gasser that
>hasn't lost half its nut
>after 100-150k. Every one I've
>ever bought (all new) started
>getting tired around 100k. But
>with the price of either,
>I'm glad I'm not the
>one looking.

Put 9k lbs behind the ecodiesel, which is what he is looking to tow, and you'll change your tune. Great truck for housewives, soccer moms, and hipsters, but not a truck to do real work with.
2a0fcsk.gif

Quite frankly, I wouldn't put 9000 pounds behind any 1/2 ton truck, those are the ones you see jack knifed at the bottom of the hill. Time will tell which is best of the Eco's. My money would be on the soccer mom hipster dodge all day. Both claim 420ft lbs of torque but just think of the RPMs they each run to achieve it. That right there is the reason diesel engines are just getting broke in at the same mileage that a gasser loses its nut. If he's really towing 9k, I wouldn't consider any 1/2 ton truck though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom