Henry mtns tag

steelie

Drew a rifle tag this year, I'm not a virgin to the area, but what time I have spent there was decades ago.

They?ll be a few scouting trips this year, but logistically it's a ways for me- I won't be able to get there as many times as I'd like. I think I'm going to save the vacation days to scout in the weeks or month just prior to hunt, go for the freshest intel I guess, and to not get my heart set on a buck that will be taken out by archery/muzz.

I just want to get down there today....but the sensible me knows that would be a waste of time off work.

Not asking for anyone to can my hunt for me, but if anyone would like to share any info/stories/pics of your experience there, I'd be most appreciative. Just looking to make best use of what scouting time I'll have.

Thanks

T

I have only been down there once, but I have heard lots of awesome stories. Here's my little experience for what it's worth.

Lots of guys with that tag will say "I'm not shooting anything under 220". Don't be that guy. Find a buck that you really like and hammer him!

I posted these pics on anther post a few years back, but I'll toss them up again for fun. We saw this buck off the road and people (Archery tag holders) were passing by him not even giving him a look. I was 50 yards from him taking pics and he was with another solid buck. Lots of archery guys went home and ate tag soup cause they wouldn't shoot a buck like this. Rifle tag is a bit different, but I was still surprised about archers passing that buck.

He ended up getting shot on the muzzy and scored just over 200".
2099813.jpg

1579814.jpg

Here's some other random pics:
695187.jpg

196085.jpg

That place is a ton of fun and sometimes guys put too much pressure on themselves to shoot some new record 230" buck. Just go down and look over a bunch of awesome bucks and pic the one that will look best on your wall.

I may be going down for a weekend during the rifle this year to help on a hunt. Good luck, maybe I'll see you there.

Thanks for reply - I think that's a beautiful buck! I don't see myself passing on something like that. I'm not much of a score guy, I understand it's a good way for us to talk about size, especially over the internet with strangers - but I don't really have a target number of inches, just like what you said, a good looking buck for the wall is the goal.
If I'm being honest with myself, I think I'll be disappointed if I don't come away with a 180?ish buck. And yeah, I'd like a 230? whopper, but I won't be eating tag soup waiting for one if there is pretty bucks running about :) and I'll easily be able to live with myself and that decision.

I think I'm old enough to not get fooled by a young buck thinking he's more than he is, but still young enough that a 200? class deer like the one above won't even get a second thought....boom!

And yeah - maybe see you down there.

Congrats steelie. I also drew the tag this year, for the Archery hunt. Twenty years in the making, if I can just survive until the hunt starts. It's certainly a beautiful unit with a lot of awesome bucks. Any input from people with experience is also welcome on my end. If things work out as I hope there should be several scouting trips made.
The pictures are awesome HJB. It certainly wouldn't have been me passing on that first buck. I've had a oil tag on Mt. Goats a few years back and I put so much pressure on myself to find the biggest billy on the mountain that it took all the fun right out of it. Some of the prettiest country I've ever hunted in and I never took time to appreceate it. I'm going to do my best to not let that happen again. I'd really like to kill a unique buck with character, and I hope to not get all caught up in score. I'll happily share any info I gather as things progress. I wish you success and hope you have a great experience.

Such a fun hunt.
I hunted it on archery 2 years ago and it was incredible.
Last year was tougher.

People in the know think this will be a great year.

180 is not really a proper target for the tag and I would suggest you set the sights a bit higher. But I agree that you should not pass up a deer that fits your eye.

Put the time in and be patient. There are many people that will reach out to help you with that tag. The people that really know the unit can help you a ton. I would be open to all of the info you can get.

I will tell you all that I know if you would like to send me a pm. I may be able to get you some help as well.
Get in shape and be prepared for anything. It is really steep and you need to be ready to get to any location and sometimes quickly.

It is one of the most memorable places that I have ever encountered.

Focus on the experience, rewind to the thrill of the hunt. Don?t lose focus on ?a hunt of a lifetime? trying to kill a trophy! Any buck you shoot will be a trophy! It's the hunt, friends, family, experience, memories, people, places things that will make it a hunt of a lifetime. Congratulations! Film as much as you can and take as many pics as possible. It's a amazing place that can be a magical mountain. Don?t let the 1000 people discourage you. Just do you and it will be an amazing experience hunting giants. ~ it's all about the journey! Good luck!

Congrats to you as well neverdrawn!

Yeah, mine has been a while in the making as welll - went into this year with 22 pts, so 23 yrs I guess.

My dad and I used to put in together, talk about how we'd hunt the Henries when we drew...he's been gone 12 yrs now - so we were obviously a bit too optimistic thinking we'd draw with 10 or less...lol

I'll keep in touch - and i?ll Pass along any info I find/see.

Thank
Terry

Thank you walleye! PM coming.

I won't be killing the first 180 I see. I guess I really mean to say that I'll be disappointed if i end with with a 160 4 yr old deer - I've already killed enough of those.

Thanks ihunt. This will certainly be a good experience. So far I've got my daughter and her boyfriend as part of the crew. My daughter started hunting later than most, she was around 18, so it's only been a few yrs, and she's never really even seen a reallly big buck - so i?ll have some nice experiences watching her see that for the first time.

And her boyfriend- that kid just has an eye for deer, so good crew so far. He'll probably kill my old ass pushing me up the mountain though.

I'm jealous of anyone with that tag, those mountains are magical. 200? is a tall order, I wouldn't expect that number but it's what I'd be shooting for. Most of the deer I know of that would break it have been killed the last couple years.

I expect it will be a really good year, with the rifle tag plan on scouting coyote bench?s, Stanton pass, cat ranch, and the far north end of Ellen extensively. Dark canyon, and mud springs probably deserve a day to two as the hunt gets closer.

When we hunted it 3 years ago deer were poring into the lower elevations by the day, literally hundreds of deer were in the grass fields on coyote bench?s (we eventually killed there). Saw big deer in all the places I mentioned, just get in there get behind good glass and go to work ?

https://www.facebook.com/strawberrybayoutfitters

It's never a waste of time scouting an area early.
Use the time learning the roads and comparing maps to reality and then go back in mid July to look for bucks.

Oh not a waste of time.....a waste of paid time off work. Every day I take off work in June is one I can't take off in July-October

Spent a day down there this weekend learning a little of the South end. I have been mostly on the North side on Ellen and around the horn. It was very informative and oriented myself quite a bit with what I've been studying on maps and google earth. We ran into a herd of Buffalo which was very cool. I'd never seen them before. All in all a good trip.
I also saw the pictures and video walleye. Incredible! I'm hoping we have a similar experience. So cool you were able to harvest such a beautiful buck with your son there.

you guys are in for a pretty awesome year!! Both Seelie and Neverdrawn congrats!!
I work on the Bromide Basin Mine on Ellen and have helped hunters down on the henrys for years and this year looks to finally break a bad string of down years for horn growth. focusing on getting to know the roads i think is a key factor to the henrys. the henry mtn range is big and getting anytime down there to get to know the area is never time wasted. if you want, i can share with you guys my pics and places to look, water resources, roads, i have loads of, places to scout etc. Im not a know it all about the area by no means. I'm still learning about it every time i go down. But, if you want hit me up any time and ill share everything i have with you guys. I love that mtn range more then most people. hence why i choose to work there and i really enjoy people having success. especially for such a coveted tag. you guys are lucky this year and good luck to both of you!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-19 AT 01:04PM (MST)[p]Just a thank you to all the people that have given me info on this hunt, you saved me a ton of time. I spent the weekend scouting and was immediately onto bucks. What a neat place, saw some bison too.
That is a ##### of a hill! I'm gonna have to start meditating or something, I got 2 months to learn to slow down and be patient. If i go charging up that mountian on day 1, I'll keel over dead before I fire a round :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom