Henry's

grizzly

Long Time Member
Hey guys, I am planning a camping trip to Henry's this fall to see the deer and spend some time in the hills. But I've never been there and don't know where to start.

Are there any well-known spots (like the Rock Pile on San Juan) that will get me seeing some deer? I don't want to spend two days of my weekend trying to find the bucks. Should I camp in Hanksville or are there places closer to the unit?

I know nothing about the area, I just like seeing big bucks. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks.

Grizzly

When are you going? We go every Nov during the rut. McMillian Springs is an organized campground with toilets and firepits, but in Nov it can be a bit snowy up there.

We come off the Notum road and just start driving towards the mountains... get as high as we are comfortable with the truck/trailer and setup camp off the side of the road. Then we load on the wheelers and side by sides and go look at deer.

In Novemember, no matter where you go up on the mountain you'll see deer. During the rutt they get pretty thick along the west face of mountains. If the pass is open, you can make the loop completely around and see deer all the way around.

sled_guy

I have other hunts planned later in the year, so we are probably going the first part of October. Will we be able to find bucks then?

Does Notum road come out of Hanksville?

PS. Thanks for the info.

Grizzly

You'll have to look hard for the bucks in Oct, they don't get big by being dumb and Oct is a dumb time to be seen if you are a buck. :)

Notom takes off of Hwy 24 just east of the Park part way to Hanksville and heads down the east side of Capitol Reef and West side of the Henries. It is paved for a little while then turns to dirt. You cut off that road and head over to the Henries just before Sandy Ranch I believe its called. If you continue on the Notom road you eventually tie in to the Burr Trail and eventually Lake Powell.

sled_guy

Thanks. So do you think I should just wait and try to get down there the first week of November? Will they be rutting good by then?

Grizzly

I like to go to the Henry's the week end before the archery hunt starts, or the week end before Thanksgiving. It is great both times.

You need a glassing parnter. Im dying to go down. Good luck on the hunts!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom