What would you do ???

notrace

Well once again it's come time to ask the question but it's got to be getting close.

After almost half of my wife's life of applying for deer here in utah we are again struck with second thoughts and changes in new laws that have us thinking about what we should do.

We have stuck with the Henry's and honestly probably still will but with new laws that require 1x scopes we are planning on changing from smoke pole to rifle.

I know some will say oak creek but at 50 and 54 years old I'm not sure that's a good option

QUESTION IS WHAT WOULD YOU DO??

Screenshot_20240215_141503_Chrome.jpg

Well once again it's come time to ask the question but it's got to be getting close.

After almost half of my wife's life of applying for deer here in utah we are again struck with second thoughts and changes in new laws that have us thinking about what we should do.

We have stuck with the Henry's and honestly probably still will but with new laws that require 1x scopes we are planning on changing from smoke pole to rifle.

I know some will say oak creek but at 50 and 54 years old I'm not sure that's a good option

QUESTION IS WHAT WOULD YOU DO??

View attachment 137239
What I wouldn’t do is wait almost a quarter of a century for a deer tag. 😳

I knew I was asking for trouble posting here on MM..

All the pros with all the knows!!

First the hunt is for my wife when we started we did not think it would take 24 plus years to draw bit after time it ends up happening!!

We have had some great hunts in utah and other states over the years..

At this point yes we are wanting to break the honest 200" deer!!

The plan was to do smoke pole as it was the best season and the fact was we was going to take advantage of the newer long range muzzle loaders and power scopes! But just as we get to that point those laws change!!!

Now the wife is not as confident with the 1X Scope or iron sights figured we would switch her over to a rifle!

Had a buddy who's uncle had a tag down there this last season with a rifle and they missed the one and only 200" buck they seen and ended up with a 170s buck.

Think About This cc!

The Archery Boys & The SmokePole Boys Are Still Gonna Raise Hell With Most Bucks!

And Homer Is Right!

I am 60 and would hunt Oak city in a heartbeat with a rifle and be happy with a 180 or 30”er. I have no idea many points that would take

Last edited:
I have not seen a more accurate statement yet!
I agree and infact have made mistakes myself but the wife has a few good bucks..

I will post one of her better 170 class bucks we thought would be upper180s

As for the notion we waited a quarter century for a deer tag is correct in a sense but again we have hunted other deer hunts and have been waiting for what has taken far to long!!

I am afraid to tell you my elk points because it been over a quarter century!!!

If you want a quote here it is!!

If I was to do it again I don't know if we would rather have 2 or 3 book cliffs tags by now or one Henry's tag!! Guess we will find out.

Screenshot_20240215_222157_Photos.jpg

I would leave the choice of weapon up to her. It will be her hunt that she has waited a long time for and she needs to go into it feeling confidence in her ability to make a shot. Best of luck to you both!

split up the adventures. You try with a muzzleloader, and she tries for a rifle tag. You'll likely not get drawn the same yr. You'll know the unit better the second tag, and both be able to spend two seasons looking for a big buck.

It looks like you've already made your decision to hunt the Henry's. If your wife isn't interested in getting proficient with a muzzy with the updated regulations, then put her in for rifle. I'm guessing last year she was in the 22 point pool? That means there are 40+ people in front of you in that line for a guaranteed bonus tag... So be prepared to wait up to another 4 years... Though your odds do increase for the random tags, it's never that big of a percentage.

Even if you put in muzzleloader, it doesn't look like a guarantee, but I'd guess many of the people in her point pool and ahead of her will choose to leave the muzzy tag alone this year...

split up the adventures. You try with a muzzleloader, and she tries for a rifle tag. You'll likely not get drawn the same yr. You'll know the unit better the second tag, and both be able to spend two seasons looking for a big buck.
Ya I see you're point but this is just my wife I don't have points in the deer pool.

I would leave the choice of weapon up to her. It will be her hunt that she has waited a long time for and she needs to go into it feeling confidence in her ability to make a shot. Best of luck to you both!
Agree but sadly my experience with my wife is she says she doesn't know what to do and after wanting to get a good buck she is just wanting the best chance.

If you're married ask you're wife where she wants to go to dinner she doesn't know and says you decide! That's kinda what I'm dealing with. 😆 🤣 😂

It looks like you've already made your decision to hunt the Henry's. If your wife isn't interested in getting proficient with a muzzy with the updated regulations, then put her in for rifle. I'm guessing last year she was in the 22 point pool? That means there are 40+ people in front of you in that line for a guaranteed bonus tag... So be prepared to wait up to another 4 years... Though your odds do increase for the random tags, it's never that big of a percentage.

Even if you put in muzzleloader, it doesn't look like a guarantee, but I'd guess many of the people in her point pool and ahead of her will choose to leave the muzzy tag alone this year...

No she would have been at 23 points the 22 plus one for that year or am I wrong maybe I'm looking at it incorrectly and we still have years to go???? This year would be 23 plus this years point 24????

Hey cc?

I've Got A Question For You?

A Few Years Back You Were Gonna Attempt Taking Your Boat Clear To Alaska?

Did You Attempt It?

No she would have been at 23 points the 22 plus one for that year or am I wrong maybe I'm looking at it incorrectly and we still have years to go???? This year would be 23 plus this years point 24????
You go by the points you actually have, not the plus 1. You don't hear people with zero points saying they have one point going into the draw. I'm guessing you're a non resident.

You go by the points you actually have, not the plus 1. You don't hear people with zero points saying they have one point going into the draw. I'm guessing you're a non resident.
she must be a resident. 23 points for a nonresident won't come close to any of the top units

Hey cc?

I've Got A Question For You?

A Few Years Back You Were Gonna Attempt Taking Your Boat Clear To Alaska?

Did You Attempt It?
No we ended up selling that boat and buying a ranger fish and ski and I knew that one would be impossible. But we did go to Alaska a few times and just flew into prince of Wales island to bear hunt!!

I see you're point but that's exactly what I was thinking zero points still had one chance..

But I understand now..

I would have your wife try out different site options that are legal during muzzy season. Muzzles used to have 1x power limitations in Utah years ago. I found a dot site that I could hit a softball every shot at 200’yards for my elk hunt and ended up with a world class bull at 218 yards! There is no doubt I would do the same thing again!

If you wait that long you might as well drag it out for Henries. There is a pretty good chance you’ll be saying I wish we would have stuck with Henry’s at the end.

Hey cc!

What you Planning On Doing,Shooting A World Record Antler-less Deer?

Maybe A Record Book Doe Antelope?

Seriously elkassassin? No disrespect intended, but you are obviously out of the loop on the Utah antlerless pools.

These points won't even get a person a mid tier unit in the antlerless draws. Definitely not gonna get them a premium tag. You need 7 or 8 plus points to touch a premium antlerless unit.

I think I've collected 11 antlerless elk points now and I'm saving them for something special. Maybe a late season basin antlerless hunt. You surely noticed they even have antlerless options in the expo tag pool now? It's that good!

Back to the original post, I'd probably get her comfortable with the muzzle loader or hold out for a rifle tag. What are your goals/expectations for the hunt? Those points could get you a great tag. I've known a few that had great tags, but they let their (and others) unrealistic expectations ruin the experience.

Seriously elkassassin? No disrespect intended, but you are obviously out of the loop on the Utah antlerless pools.

These points won't even get a person a mid tier unit in the antlerless draws. Definitely not gonna get them a premium tag. You need 7 or 8 plus points to touch a premium antlerless unit.

I think I've collected 11 antlerless elk points now and I'm saving them for something special. Maybe a late season basin antlerless hunt. You surely noticed they even have antlerless options in the expo tag pool now? It's that good!

Back to the original post, I'd probably get her comfortable with the muzzle loader or hold out for a rifle tag. What are your goals/expectations for the hunt? Those points could get you a great tag. I've known a few that had great tags, but they let their (and others) unrealistic expectations ruin the experience.
I know I have unreasonable expectations of her getting the opportunity at a 200"+ buck but again she has harvested 180 class bucks and after waiting so long she is wanting to get something better...

The way I see it she has a 50/50 Chance at a Henry's muzzleloader tag or a 100% chance at muzzleloader or rifle on the paunsagunt.

The only reason I'm thinking of switching is the fact the Paunsagunt is without a question on a comeback and they are killing some absolutely big deer there but I also feel this is the year we will see the Henry's deer actually start showing its potential if we get another wet summer down there.

Seriously everyone don't worry about my wife's antlerless points we have been applying for points only just incase she decides to go after one to feel the freezer.

Funny how people are so critical on that point..

Honestly some of the antlerless hunts have been the funnest hunts I've been on because the pressure is not to kill the biggest just to go fill the freezer!!

Seriously everyone don't worry about my wife's antlerless points we have been applying for points only just incase she decides to go after one to feel the freezer.

Honestly some of the antlerless hunts have been the funnest hunts I've been on because the pressure is not to kill the biggest just to go fill the freezer!!
True, that. Fun is where you find it.

No criticism on your wife’s points. My shock is how well a point system has people conditioned. 1/4 century for your “opportunity” at a buck tag then the “premium “ freakin cow tag for all your “investment “

If people can’t see what’s broke I’m not sure what to tell them at this point ( no pun intended)

I agree 100 percent. Some of my absolute favorite hunts have been antlerless hunts. I apologize for bringing up the antlerless points. I have a pile of them myself.

I believe the Pauns is also a good option. I think a 200 ich buck is tall order on both those units currently, but as you probably already know, they get them often. Hopefully you guys luck out and get a good one.

Well SW!

You Can Label Me Out Of The Loop On Antlerless Tags/Hunts!

I Haven't Ever Looked At Antlerless Proclamations!

I agree 100 percent. Some of my absolute favorite hunts have been antlerless hunts. I apologize for bringing up the antlerless points. I have a pile of them myself.

I believe the Pauns is also a good option. I think a 200 ich buck is tall order on both those units currently, but as you probably already know, they get them often. Hopefully you guys luck out and get a good one.

I know I have unreasonable expectations of her getting the opportunity at a 200"+ buck but again she has harvested 180 class bucks and after waiting so long she is wanting to get something better...

The way I see it she has a 50/50 Chance at a Henry's muzzleloader tag or a 100% chance at muzzleloader or rifle on the paunsagunt.

The only reason I'm thinking of switching is the fact the Paunsagunt is without a question on a comeback and they are killing some absolutely big deer there but I also feel this is the year we will see the Henry's deer actually start showing its potential if we get another wet summer down there.
I guess I have to ask how bad does she want a chance at a 200 inch buck. If she wants it real bad pick either unit and hire the best outfitter on the unit that is willing to find that quality of buck and sit on it till the season opens. That's her best chance at a 200 incher.

However I would take another possible180 do it yourself buck over that 200 inch buck any day of the week. Some people would do the opposite and that's OK too. What's the priority?

If an outfitter is out of the question I'd say pick the place she can draw the quickest and go for it. We ain't guaranteed tomorrow.

I’d go Pauns or Henries. Both are beautiful units with great deer. Hopefully she draws and has a great hunt.

The solution is pretty obvious....Henry mountains with a rifle or a muzzleloader. If not this year, then next year.

What I would do is study the 2023 draw statistics very carefully. She will be in the 22 point pool. Take note of how many applicants are in the 22 and up points.
If the apps remain the same you will see that the Pauns hunts are about the only realistic chance she has to draw with 23 points this year.
Its possible a few less people will apply for the muzzy hunts due to the optics restrictions. If thats the case, She may have a slight chance to draw a Henry's muzzleloader tag.
The Henry's rifle tag appears to be out of reach for many more years.

Oak Creek Muzzy may be a possibility but the Rifle hunt looks out of reach with 23 points.

What I would do is study the 2023 draw statistics very carefully. She will be in the 22 point pool. Take note of how many applicants are in the 22 and up points.
If the apps remain the same you will see that the Pauns hunts are about the only realistic chance she has to draw with 23 points this year.
Its possible a few less people will apply for the muzzy hunts due to the optics restrictions. If thats the case, She may have a slight chance to draw a Henry's muzzleloader tag.
The Henry's rifle tag appears to be out of reach for many more years.

Oak Creek Muzzy may be a possibility but the Rifle hunt looks out of reach with 23 points.
Ya I'm starting to get the feeling we need to stick to the muzzleloader Henry's but I've got a lot of people telling me this might be a great year for the paunsagunt especially if we keep getting moisture!!!

I look at it that she has a 50/50 Chance at Henry's muzzleloader and a 100% change at rifle or muzzleloader Paunsagunt.

But things could change I wake up every day thinking something different!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom