Hey 1911

pufftuffly

Serious questions here.

How many DUI traffic accidents have you seen that were caused by a person who blew a .05?

How many more DUI arrests do you predict you're going to make per month?

Thanks in advance.

I have no tolerance for drunk drivers. If a person has one sip of one beer, they shouldn't be on the roads with my family and friends.

I would feel a hell of a lot safer driving next to someone .05 than somebody with they're thumb stuck to the phone screen. I see drivers every morning and afternoon weaving down the freeway between 55mph and 80 because their text is more important than driving. Everyone I see one, I wish I could just put em into the wall.

I'm with shadow I work on the side of the road every day with signs ,flashing light on my truck and I'm wearing a Vest. I see at least 10 people a day drive by with there heads stuck in their phones and never see me on the side of the road. It's some scary chit.

Driving under the influence in California is .08%. I don't think you can get arrested for that. I'll bet if you are involved in an accident, those rules change.

I agree with the above statement that you shouldn't get behind the wheel if you've had any alcohol. Why take the chance?

I'm assuming 1911 made a sketchy arrest in someone's eyes?

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

I have Arrested and achieved a Conviction(s) on folks in ranges below .08 and several were under .05 ( even .03 )

What is needed to achieve a Conviction is to show the individual was IMPAIRED. It is a legal "GIVEN" that everyone is Legally IMPAIRED by .08

Jagerdad :)

I hope he never answers.

Some how, some way, anything he writes could be produced in a Court.

Not cool. That's why I piped up and made a post, so he had nothing to answer.

Asking an Officer such questions are: EXPLORATORY.

Again, not cool.

Not polite either unless he is a close friend and its an insider joke.

Jagerdad :)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-17 AT 07:03PM (MST)[p]There are a lot of factors at play. As jager pointed out, there are studies that show sometimes the least intoxicated can be the most dangerous. Why? Because they are 'fine' and they know it. They drive as always because they are 'ok' in their own mind but simply are not.

Scientifically, the first mental function altered by alcohol is judgment. This is not as noticeable as the other changes such as vision, speech, and other impairment which begin at higher BAC levels, simply because it is judgment which by definition makes it difficult for the person in question to make an objective assessment of.

Experience wise I will say there is a conclusive correlation that any alcohol has a direct increase in driver error. Would you jump on a Boeing 747 if you knew the pilot was a .079 at takeoff? Would you undergo brain surgery while you surgeon was sipping a dry martini? I've seen a lot of dead bodies and made a lot of midnight knocks on doors....usually murphy dictates the non-drinking parties are likely to be victims. Impaired driving is a very selfish and short sighted activity.

It will take some time before the numbers show whether it has a tremendous impact one way or another. Historically, in the US, the limit used to be quite standard at a .10 BAC limit. It took years before states adopted a .08 BAC limit which had a similar reaction to this (many states at the threat of losing federal highway dollars.) Statistically there was a decline in DUI related death and injury. The national highway traffic safety administration has extensive studies that back this up and suggest a lower BAC would continue the trend.

Since Utah is a first in the US to do this one predictor would be to look outside of the US. There are numerous first world industrial nations who have had the lower standard for quite some time. The studies there are quite clear and compelling there is a difference.

I am not trying to argue one way or the other here but rather giving some personal insight. It is interesting for sure. There are also a lot of vested parties one way or another whether that means you are a casual drinker who doesn't want to be trapped after one drink, or whether you have lost a loved one to a DUI driver.

One thing I can say for certain, is for those who drive with any amount of alcohol whether legal or not by definition of this or any other state, do yourself a favor and look into what happens on the civil side should you be involved in a serous injury accident. Even if the exact same accident could have happened alcohol consumption aside, you will be eaten alive in a civil court. Imagine the proposition of being the subject of a wrongful death suit, and your BAC was a .035. If you think the jury will be sympathetic to you on a civil judgment you are more than likely sorely mistaken.

There will be those who are quite cavalier about drinking and driving and I'm sure some will post here. That is certainly their prerogative, but if you look at geographic areas where there is a higher social/cultural tolerance and acceptance to drinking and driving, you will also find more road side memorials. The risk benefit analysis simply doesn't bode well for mixing the two.

Now does that mean I haven't seen some wicked death and injury from other behaviors? Absolutely not. I don't think anyone is suggesting other reckless behaviors be ignored. Again, I have zero interest in getting into an argument one way or the other. Like I say, cost benefit, not worth it, or shouldn't be no matter which side of the fence you sit. The ramifications can be costly and life changing. Uber is pretty affordable by comparison.

Edit. One more thing. Many people do no understand what a legal limit is. The legal limit, or per se in legal Latin, simply means if you are here, the law finds that you are de facto, in violation of the law. It is not nor has it ever been home plate marker.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>Driving under the influence in California
>is .08%. I don't think
>you can get arrested for
>that. I'll bet if you
>are involved in an accident,
>those rules change.
>
>I agree with the above statement
>that you shouldn't get behind
>the wheel if you've had
>any alcohol. Why take the
>chance?
>
>I'm assuming 1911 made a sketchy
>arrest in someone's eyes?
>
>Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good
>health for granted because it
>can be gone in a
>heartbeat. Please go back and
>read the last line. This
>time really understand what it
>says.

He is referring to the legislature changing the limit to .05.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Reminds me of a story.

Maybe 8 years ago, I was visiting my Grandmother in Tucson, AZ and had to drive back to the Phoenix area. We had dinner at a nice restaurant and I had one beer. We left town about two hours later just my mom and I. It was dark, maybe 8pm. I was on I-10 and noticed a car following behind me. I was at the speed limit or maybe a few over. I was sure it was a trooper because I've seen them do this before. It was no surprise when he turned his lights on after about 10 minutes following me. So he asks for the usual info, I give it to him. He tells me the reason he pulled me over is because of the license plate lamp is out. He also said "I don't usually pull people over for this unless I think it's a DUI". Even though I had the drink hours ago, and had no problems, it really shocked me. If there was any question, I would have my mom drive. He just wrote up a repair ticket and let me go, no sobriety check or anything.

>I hope he never answers.
>
>Some how, some way, anything he
>writes could be produced in
>a Court.
>
>Not cool. That's why I piped
>up and made a post,
>so he had nothing to
>answer.
>
>Asking an Officer such questions are:
>EXPLORATORY.
>
>Again, not cool.
>
>Not polite either unless he is
>a close friend and its
>an insider joke.
>
>Jagerdad :)

Give me a break.

So what's wrong with arresting someone under the influence when so many die from people under the influence ? He needs no break !

Thanks for your reply 1911.

I'm just trying to figure out if this new law is actually for public safety or just some vindictive Mormon legislators BS that has more to do with the removal of the Zion Curtain. I'm thinking the latter.

Guess I'll SPLAIN what Ain't Been SPLAINED!

This State Has Passed this Law for one Reason & One Reason Only!

And I'm All For Making things more Safe!

But..................!

This is one more way for the State to make more Money!

Until a few Years Back I didn't know all the BS that Goes on within Our Judicial System!

(((And I Still Don't know about all the BS that goes on!)))

MONEY!

$$$!

More Money!

$$$!

Even More Money!

I've watched Panty Waste Judges Turn Professional Alcoholics Loose for Years,Time & Time again!

DUI after DUI!

SLAP Their F'N Hands!

Make them Pay Their Fines!

And they're back out Drinking & Driving!

The Law/Judicial System knows they'll catch them again & the JOKERS will have to pay their Fines again!

QUICK EASY Money for the State!

I Always thought Public Safety would be more Important?

I was F'N Wrong!

My Signature is a Short Clip of NVB & His Coal Roller!
"We Better Get out of the F'N Way cuzz Ole NVB is Coming to MF'N Town"!

Anybody know how much a 200 lb person could Drink before you'd be in Violation of the .05 Law?

1/2 a Beer?

1 Beer?

I'm Talkin 16 oz Cans?

My Signature is a Short Clip of NVB & His Coal Roller!
"We Better Get out of the F'N Way cuzz Ole NVB is Coming to MF'N Town"!

question for 911....those crash and burns you've been involved in while on duty...were they legally drunk or sober???

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-17 AT 11:14AM (MST)[p]>Thanks for your reply 1911.
>
>I'm just trying to figure out
>if this new law is
>actually for public safety or
>just some vindictive Mormon legislators
>BS that has more to
>do with the removal of
>the Zion Curtain. I'm thinking
>the latter.

Yes pufftuffly you are sooooo right. It is all just a Mormon conspiracy to "get back" at everyone who drinks alcohol because the "Zion Curtain" legislation changed some laws in Utah and not about saving innocent lives and keeping impaired individuals from getting behind the wheel.

Good lord - That is probably the most moronic statement I have seen on MM since the 15 inch bases thread.

#1 - do you even have a clue as to how long this legislation has been proposed? Or know how long it takes to get a bill like this or like the "Zion Curtain" bill passed? Do realize the INSANE amount of coordination and sequence of events that would have to happen over a period of years for this to just "turn out" to be a backlash over the "Zion Curtain" Bill? Seriously - do you even have a clue?

#2 - The idea that "Mormon" legislators worry about "getting revenge" or "sticking it to" the non-Mormons or "jack-Mormons" in the State is a completely made up persecution fantasy. I am no longer a resident of the State but I am fed up with that mentality. Come on, give it a rest. Just because I don't want you to kill innocent people doesn't mean I am persecuting you.

#3 - Don't drink and drive - PERIOD. Not one drink. Not one ounce. Get a designated driver. Get an Uber. Call a cab. Call your mom. Take the bus. Walk home. I don't care. Don't drink and drive - it is stupid, stupid, stupid and 100% preventable. 100%.

And if you think you aren't impaired at .05 as compared to .08 - or even worse, that .08 is too harsh, then there isn't much I can tell you other than science will prove you to be an idiot.

Check out this website for some FACTS about alcohol impairment. Really, if you are making these arguments then next time you should maybe you should pay attention in the 3rd grade:

http://www.brad21.org/bac_charts.html

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

I wish lawmakers would put as much influence on other dangerous drivers....narcotics, pot, cell phones, eytc., as they do drinking.

I'll never forget my first day on a new job a couple years ago. I observed a young woman using her cell phone whilst driving through the parking lot. Darn near hit me. I reminded her that it was against the law to use a cell phone while driving.

Her reply: ' oh, I was just texting, not talking'.

She was my first client as a new traffic court judge.

>i rather be driving around people
>who are.05 than be driving
>around people who are high
>on LDS.

lol....

>i rather be driving around people
>who are.05 than be driving
>around people who are high
>on LDS.

What's wrong with that? Those soccer moms in the minivans are most talented. Who else can talk on the phone, scream at kids, cut me off and give me the bird, all while driving? And, if you tied their hands down, they wouldn't be able to say a word while their on the phone.

​pufftuffly..... I Apologize. ​I am normally a happy easy going guy but when I saw your Post, I reacted wrongly. My thoughts were that 1911 had done something you felt to be wrong. I did not want to see any Brother in Law Enforcement be placed in a spotlight of possible public ridicule on a Public Forum. Those were my initial thoughts. I was brief....which I seldom am. I was sharp and not relaxed. I had no knowledge of a new DUI .05 limit in Utah. It is true that whenever we in LE see a Brother/Sister in peril.... The Gates of Hell Open.... Worse than Parana's in the Amazon river. I was not justified in making a Post because it was directed to 1911 and although I do not know him, I should have sat on the sidelines Bench with Faith he could handle his own affairs.

Therefore, 1911, I Apologize to you also.

Captain_coues..... Your Story is your perception. I suspect you were obvious to the Trooper yet, it may be (Under) "Influence" of Fatigue rather than 100% Alcohol. Combine a day filled with emotions, good food and driving 100-200 miles all adds up. Under the influence is associated with alcohol but we all wear down. The Trooper used years of experience and made a decision. Your driving may have seemed proper to you. Yet he did stop you and this is a fast way to pump adrenalin into any motorists. Yes, you were simply tired. However, it sadly reminded me of a night where a new Deputy/Officer (Rookie) had done the same thing. The driver was stopped for possible DUI but issued a fix-it-ticket. The driver departed and hardly 10 miles down the road, was in an accident. A head-on collision. FIVE (5) people were in the other vehicle, an entire family. The family, Mother, Father and Three Children were all Killed. The driver was found scratched up but not injured. The local Police arrested the driver for DUI and, found in his pocket, the fix-it-ticket issued barely five minutes earlier by the above Rookie. Deciding to "Arrest" a person for DUI is simple when they are falling down drunk. A Rookie struggles to gain "Experience" in gathering a solid belief to arrest when the person is down at .03 .05 .08 even .10 quite often. The Rookie was not fired.... He quit on his own. Imagine the grief he lives with.

I do not like to remember such things but right there is a solid example of why a new Utah DUI Law at .05 is a very good thing.

Elkassassin... Your assessment of our Judicial system is also felt by Millions of others. I have HAD to sadly explain to far to many good people the following: "You don't always get Justice but you always do get, the Law".

Jagerdad

PS: My Pet-Peeves = using a cell phone while driving and....Tailgating.

>question for 911....those crash and burns
>you've been involved in while
>on duty...were they legally drunk
>or sober???

Some are some aren't. Drug related both prescription and illicit are also common. Distracted driving is a big number. Reckless and suicidal are common. Cases with impairment represent a disproportional volume of sad consequences. The sad thing they all have in common is once they happen, you can't un ring the bell.

Law makers and public safety places a significant attention to many of he things mentioned like cell phones. that in particular can be difficult to combat. I can point out in several cases where cell phone usage has resulted in prison. Conversely, amid the outrage with cell phones, everyone wants heads on a platter until they are stopped for the violation. It is very difficult to address and not as simplistic as it may appear.

Everyone complains the police do nothing to deal with speeders and other dangerous driving. When they get stopped they want to know if we have anything better to do. It can at times be the impossible task and you cannot please everyone.

There are so many pressures from different directions in all things related to law enforcement. Just thinking out loud.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I know jager, it just made me think about how easy it would be to get nailed drinking and driving. I can't loose my license or I loose my job. I always have someone drive if I had anything to drink. That rarely happens because I stay home if I have any. That was a cool trick he used. I would love to be next to them on a ride along and watch them use that trick and see it play out. It's a brilliant tool to use.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom