high country tune up

Shummy

Very Active Member
We found two wheelers and a rhino at least a mile off the road in the Pine Valley Wilderness in Southern Utah on the opening of the muzz hunt. They had really done some damage getting where they were. They had also placed a large pile of apples and mineral block out for bait. I really considered using the Bessy method of dealing with things like this, but instead I took 18 pictures from every angle, including the bikes registrations. Only one wheeler was licensed, but the other had some very identifying marks that we got pictures of. I even got some pictures of the gentlemen riding them out. I confronted them, and, of course, they played dumb. I turned the pictures over to the Forest Service, who told me that they plan on prosecuting the guys. It was really a damper on my hunt, these guys ruined a very nice area, that was clearly marked as off limits to motor vehicle access.

If the USFS just sits there with their brain in neutral it's going be a real slap in our faces.
Glad you turned them in & if nothing happens I hope the Tune up is used next time they ruin your hunt.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/use
r_photos/5308pimpin2darker.jpg

Glad you turned the idiots in! My dad had a LE elk tag this year. He's 69 and has had major back surgery, both knees replaced and has to have another back surgery in a month. He's in a ton of pain but hiked is butt off during his hunt! Pissed me off when we hiked clear back into this area and found fresh 4 wheeler tracks all up the mountain side and all around on top. The closest road 2 miles away. I was hoping to find the bike there, but no luck. Anyway, good for you!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-11 AT 08:23PM (MST)[p]Good for you Shummy. Hope the USFS acts on the info. you gave them.

Eldorado

That was good thinking getting the picts and registration info. . Hopefully the Forest Service will follow through and hammer the lazy mental midgets .

I can imagine that would have been a perfect example of performing a high country tune up , but you you stood the higher ground .

So what did the wheeler guys say when you confronted them ?

The gentlemen told me that they hadn't seen the signs, even though the road comes to an abrupt end at the sign. Normally we have to open a gate to get our horses through, but this time the gate was down and destroyed. I have no proof that these guys destroyed the gate, so I will not blame them for it. They actually came right out and told me that they had ridden the wheelers down there every day of the archery hunt. After I confronted them they drove back in and removed what appeared to be a trail cam off the bait pile, so they probably have pictures of me taking pictures of their bikes. The owner of the rhino was a complete third party, I never saw him, but was able to get pictures for evidence.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-11 AT 10:00PM (MST)[p]why dont you post the photos here? It will be just as good as a tune up if these guys frequent this site.

I was thinking the same thing. Post the pictures up everywhere you can think of.

One tip for the future if you didn't do it, either take a picture with an iPhone with the GPS location feature turned on or take a picture of a GPS in one of the shots so you can prove exactly where the wheelers were. You might be able to get a picture with some prominent landmarks that works just as well, but with the GPS there isn't any argument about exactly where they were.

I like quads, I ride them a bit but I can't stand the lazy arses who ride where they shouldn't! I saw it a few times on my mountain goat hunt in '09.
Some guys just refuse to play by the rules!

Good on you for doing your part.

Zeke

I turned in some pictures a few years back to the ranger for a BLM office and they were going to go after the six wheelers that I took pictures of driving in a river in a national forest. I didn't stop, but they knew they were in the wrong because they tried to hide when we drove by. Not sure why they were hiding when they had registration on the wheelers. Never did ask how that turned out.

Thanks Shummy! It is guys like you that will help us keep the priviledge to ride and hunt.
Given the information that you provided the FS, and knowing the FS law guys for this area, I am sure this will be taken care of.
We need more guys like you Shummy that will do the right thing.
Thanks!
3p2

As an update, I was informed by the L.E.O. that tickets were issued to both parties today. They can choose to fight the tickets and go to court if they wish.

And we wonder why people think hunters are slobs! It only takes a few bad apples to spoil things for all of us!
Good job!

Nice, Glad you took the time to get involved and did something most wouldn't. Now get healed up for those Chukars.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

We like to rag on the government agencies a lot on this site but that is a success story that the guys were ticketed. I had a similar situation happen two days ago. I received a text from a friend with info on some guys riding into a closed area with location and their registration info on their quads. I called the Forest Service LEO. An hour later I received a call from the LEO who said he jumped in his truck and was able to catch the guys loading their quads. After a tongue lashing and a hefty ticket hopefully the guys won't be doing that again. Just saying that all the LEO's out there are not the doughnut eating, fat, worthless, lazy ignorant slobs that they are called on this site. I know a LEO where I live personally and he is very passionate about this issue and does his best but we need more guys like Shummy to do the right thing. Thanks Shummy

I'm good friends with a Southern Utah FS LEO and he takes this stuff very seriously as well. Glad you got the evidence needed for this LEO to bust the yahoo's.

Good for you,I turned in some hunters this year for littering there camp site,it has been going on for a couple of years.It took a lot of phone calls to the forest service and finally they found them at there camp and fined them.i know this because they called me to update what they had done.i felt bad about tuning them in but if you don't stand up and do something they will keep doing it.Kudos to you.cowboy57

I guess these guys are going to try and fight it. I was informed that one of them has been in trouble for this before, and is the one threatening to get a lawyer. I am hiking into the place where I took the pictures, with the LEO from the forest service on Tuesday. I will update how that went.

Good I hope he does get a lawyer and Lose.
Micah take more pictures of the area and the trail they used to get in.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Way to go shummy. If jackasses keep screwing off like this nobody will be able to enjoy a ride on their quad because they will probably be banned from public land all together.

Schummy; Sounds like you nailed a hardcore violater. A second conviction and hefty fine may just be the thing to get him to change his ways about violating the rules.

It would be worth going to court and testify, but you may not have too after taking the forest service LEO in and showing him the exact spot you found the ATVs. He will be able to testify that it was a restricted area from ATV use.

RELH

Update:
I think that the general way of thinking is that the Forest Service really isn't interested in working. I think that the vast majority of us don't bother to report violations like this because we feel it is a waste of time and won't be persued by law enforcement.
On Tuesday I met with the LEO for the Forest Service and he actually got out of the truck. We hiked into the area where I found these 4 wheelers and the officer mapped it all out on his gps. He hiked way down into the saddle where I took my pictures and made sure that the case was solid. He assured me that it was a solid case and it would be persued. He was all about being fair, If I had falsely reported the crime, then the offenders would have been let off the hook. The officer was very glad for the tip and encouraged me to report any other violations that I saw.
So, my day with the officer shot the theory that they arent willing to work or enforce out of the water. I encourage all sportsman to be vigilant and help to protect our rights!

I wish there was a reward for you.

I have felt for a long time these type of violators would think twice if they were charged $500 for going off road and $100 of that would go to the citizen that turned them in. It sounds like you'd have a $300 fee to collect if I had my way.

I think that it would be very profitable to photograph or video these guys, or they'd stop doing going off road. Either way, I'd be ok with that.

RE: I wish there was a reward for you.

Good job! What did the Forest Ranger say is the fine or possible consequence?

RE: I wish there was a reward for you.

$175, which is way too cheap. If you destroy a meadow or riparian area, its possible to have to pay restitution as well, which can be very expensive.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom