Hiking shoe sizing

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I also posted this on bowsite but want to get more comments.

I noticed all my hiking shoes, and most boots, tend to be 1/2 size large then my everyday shoes. My "dress" shoes, boat shoes etc are all size 11. Most of my hiking shoes and light hiking boots are size 11.5
My running shoes are size 11.5

How do your hiking shoes sizes compare to everyday shoes?

I try to get boots that have the toe box with a little more room. This helps with the downhill stuff and long days on your feet.

Agree on slightly larger size for swollen feet and not cramming toes downhill. Also I tend to wear thicker socks while hunting and hiking (always for cushion, sometimes for warmth).

First world problems. Try finding good boots/shoes with size 16 feet.
Don I gave my buddy contact info on Wyoming. Hope both of you connect on a ram and bull.

I would lose my big toenails almost every year after hunting season. It got to be quite painful. I wear a size 13 and for most of my life I could not find a good boot any larger that would work for me. About 10 years ago I found a good hunting boot in 14 D that was still a good fit and this solved my problems. A lot of the boots made these days are narrower for the size thus helping to go up one size and still have all the support you need plus the extra length in the toe area. All my hunting boots are 14 D's now and no more losing my toenails.

Hiking shoe sizing can indeed be a bit tricky! I've been exploring hiking more recently and came across some hiking outfits that caught my eye. What's your take on them? Finding gear that combines comfort and style can make the hiking experience even more enjoyable.

I always go 1/2 size bigger and rock DarnTough socks. Not sure if they always run small but my latest pair of La Sportivas are a full sized bigger than I normally wear......but I really like them so far, especially for the price. -----SS

First world problems. Try finding good boots/shoes with size 16 feet.
Don I gave my buddy contact info on Wyoming. Hope both of you connect on a ram and bull.
You know what they say about a guy who has big feet ? He wears big shoes and socks ! ?
Trimming toenails two weeks before a hike, to make sure the tips of your toes stay tough, is important. Choosing a shoe size that gives a half, to an inch of toe box room, is advisable. As other MM posters stated, the feet swell during long hikes, and especially in warmer weather.
Some manufacturers have footwear than run small . I have lost toenails several times (always my big toenails ). Rushing a little downhill and stubbing a boot into a rock is usually the cause, and it has been during returns to my vehicle . I've never had to look for half sizes.
Hiking boots mostly compare to my everyday shoes. If it's warm weather, hiking or hunting on rough or steep terrain , I've never loved any boot more than my Oboz. They keep my toes in place, and my toenails have stayed intact on every hike I have worn them for. Next year I want to buy Crispi Nevada GTX as they felt awesome when I tried some on. They are really expensive but sore feet are just as limiting as not being physically conditioned.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom