Hip replacement....

DW

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-17 AT 07:42AM (MST)[p]Dads goin thru it today. Anybody been thru it? Any words of wisdom, advice, does or donts?

My Mom went through that one three years ago, before that it was one shoulder and two knees. She is a tough woman and was a nurse.

The hip replacement was one of the worst as she wouldn't be able to walk on her own at first. My sister and I both still work and couldn't take care of her, so she went into one of those rehab places. Best thing she did and she'll tell you. They were great with her and took great care of her. I believe it was up on 13th South and 80th West or around there if you are looking.

They had her walking and working her hip everyday and when she got out she was on a walker and did great.

Tough operation on older people though, best of luck to your Dad and family.

DW,
Good luck to you dad!
It's a tough surgery (I have no first-hand information).
Zeke

It is a moderately invasive surgery. The first week or so, pain control will probably need to be the focus. Pain hinders healing so now is not the time to be tough. He should freely use the the narcotics until the pain load lightens a little. Make sure he has good physical therapist and that he follows through until the PT says he is done. Best wishes on the surgery and recovery.

Best of luck to your dad! Are they going through the front (anterior) or doing the side surgical approach? My dad went with the anterior approach last year and I was amazing at how well he did. He is 67 and in very good shape, but I was really impressed. He didn't miss a beat when elk hunting this past fall! Attitude/mental approach are huge (as with anything). Best of luck to your dad!

Type of procedure is a big key. If it is the anterior approach he should do just fine. Posterior or Lateral it can be a different story. The hip replacement itself is not a problem, the muscles that get cut during the procedure determine recovery and rehab.
I had a total hip replacement last April anterior approach. Surgery 7:00 am, walking 10:30 am, home 5 pm and my life changed instantly. Pain was gone, mobility and range of motion increased dramatically. I actually went back to work the day after surgery, I felt better than I had in years. Almost a year later I can say it has been a life changer, I feel like a young man again, happier, more active. I wish the best for your dad. If I could offer him any advice it would be the same as my surgeon gave me. Trust the hip and use it!

They went in through the front, guess that's the new advanced way a doin it. All the critters I've butchered it makes sense, less muscle to get through to reach the ball and socket, quicker to heal. One of the amazing parts is the blood loss is minimal and they didn't need to give him any blood during the procedure! All went well! He's on choice VA insurance and had 4 docs to choose from. The pick of the litter, after reading the reviews. was in the town they live in so that was convenient! They had him up for a short walk before the anesthesia had worn off! Still in the hospital as I type this but he may get to go home today depending how his physical therapy goes later. Pretty dang amazing to me! Thanx for all the comments, and well wishes, I've passed on the advice on pt, much appreciated!

Good to hear the surgery went well. I would repeat the recommendation of following through with every PT session. Watched my mother go through it and while painful at first, she said it changed her life like others have mentioned. She wished she had done it sooner instead of dealing with the pain and lack of mobility for so long.

Glad it went well for your Dad DW. I know nothing about hip replacements. Does he have a Zerk fitting to keep it lubed up?

>Glad it went well for your
>Dad DW. I know nothing
>about hip replacements. Does he
>have a Zerk fitting to
>keep it lubed up?

Sealed unit, 20yr warranty. He says that'll be long enough!

>>Glad it went well for your
>>Dad DW. I know nothing
>>about hip replacements. Does he
>>have a Zerk fitting to
>>keep it lubed up?
>
>
>Sealed unit, 20yr warranty. He says
>that'll be long enough!

Okay good! Just keep him out of the salt water/ocean. :)

If I had this surgery done.... I would get a Euro Mount of what they cut out.

There's no Trophy Fee's and it makes for a great conversation piece.

Right atop the Fireplace Mantel...

Jagerdad :)

( Funny or Sad, My Family & Dr knows I really would )

Had my left hip replacement done 8 day's before my 68th birthday. Posterior approach, one night in hospital, then home. Couple of day's on happy pills and a walker, then a cane. By the end of a week, walking a couple of miles per day. 7 week's to the day after surgery I killed a big DIY WY bull elk @ 9500' and was averaging 6 miles per day on the GPS and I'm a midwest flatlander.

Right up front before I could ask, the Surgeon told me he doesn't return body part's so I couldn't add it to my trophy room. Felt short changed for a 22K bill!

Best wish's on a speedy recovery for your father.

>Had my left hip replacement done
>8 day's before my 68th
>birthday. Posterior approach, one night
>in hospital, then home. Couple
>of day's on happy pills
>and a walker, then a
>cane. By the end of
>a week, walking a couple
>of miles per day.
>7 week's to the day
>after surgery I killed a
>big DIY WY bull elk
>@ 9500' and was averaging
>6 miles per day on
>the GPS and I'm a
>midwest flatlander.
>
>Right up front before I could
>ask, the Surgeon told me
>he doesn't return body part's
>so I couldn't add it
>to my trophy room. Felt
>short changed for a 22K
>bill!
>
>Best wish's on a speedy recovery
>for your father.

Dang! 22 large sounds like a bargain. My last visit was close to six figures.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>>>Glad it went well for your
>>>Dad DW. I know nothing
>>>about hip replacements. Does he
>>>have a Zerk fitting to
>>>keep it lubed up?
>>
>>
>>Sealed unit, 20yr warranty. He says
>>that'll be long enough!
>
>Okay good! Just keep him out
>of the salt water/ocean. :)
>

Don't let Eel fool you. At his age, a broken hip is just good foreplay. He is well versed in getting it fixed. Again. And again.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

22K is a steal. My mom fractured her neck and since the only neurosurgeon in town was on vacation, they used an air ambulance to fly her to Santa Rosa, about a 20 minute flight. The flight alone was $76,391.60. Plus the ride from the hospital to the air port was another $1,436.85. All that before she even saw a doctor.

Had right total hip replacement at 50, went in the side. I knew right away when I woke up pain was gone fought it for a long time I was a happy man. Left hip done at 60 same procedure same deal woke up pain was gone. Was painting the eves on the house 3 weeks after surgery and again one happy man. Like theY say go by the rules takes awhile for muscles to heal have to work at it. But like other post said haven't felt this good in years best thing I ever done other than staying single. Hell I packed my hunting buddies desert bighorn cape and head out last year made me feel good. And Eel hit the perch yesterday tried are secret lure but too much grass even caught my first redtail they fight pretty good and I haven't rusted up yet....RAS

Not a replacement, but I broke my right hip at 18 yrs old. Doctors screwed it back together with stainless lag bolts . Wheel chair for a month, crutches for another month and finally walking after that .

Thankfully, I'm allergic to pain medication! That made the whole process pretty difficult.

DW I hope you will be 100 again. I decided to never give up. I healed last year and now I have a couple new health battles to conquer.
There's critters out there to see ! And that's how we do it !

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom