Hitting yotes on the run.

smitty

Very Active Member
How in the he!! do you hit running dogs? Last year I nailed a couple, but I was shooting my AR-15 with a 3-9, this year I'm shooting a 22-250 with a 6-24. I've missed running dogs at 50 yards out to 250....long story short, what is the length of lead on a running dog?

1 foot at 50 yards and 8 feet at 200? Any math majors out there?

First stand today had 3 come in hard, missed the first at 50 yards, the 2 others retreated and stopped about 200 yards out, dumped one and the other just stood there, I thought "sweet, double" wrong, just over his back. If I could hit them running I'd sure up my kills.

Or if you hit em standing at 50 yards you'd up your kills!:)
You sound like you're doing pretty well this year. What state are you calling in?

Traditional >>>------->

I hit a runner today at about 180-200 yards going left to right. My math is this
SEMI AUTO WITH LOTS OF LEAD + LUCK = SUCCESS.

I just might have to go back to the AR-15 with the 3X9 and shooting sticks, seems to give you more manuevearability (sp). Plus it is fun to crack a dozen rounds of in a few seconds.

practice. i pratice on leading on rabbits running or let use a ballon and wait for a breeze to blow it around.

I dont know much about 22-250 but from what ive read a factory load shoots at about 3600 fps. at 200 yards, or 600 feet your bullet will hit its target in 1/6 of a second. The part missing from the equation is how fast your coyotes were running. I would bet they were not topped out, especially if there was snow.My opinions would be no lead at all, or aim for the neck, or front of the shoulder. I bet your problem is your using a 24 power scope. I would go back to your 3x9 and use the lowest power you could get away with.

4' lead for the ones in Utah.... 6' for all others...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Run up along side of them.
pull up behind the coyote keep your head down start your swing with his pace as you pass him depending how fast he is running squeeze off between 2-12 feet. Increse lead with speed and distance. Never stop your swing. Mini gun helps.

Rutnbuck

If you want to shoot at them running I would go back to the AR. Put a Holographic sight on it and you will get on target quicker allowing for more shots.

Go hunt some ducks. That will give you some good practice. LOL.

Of course you are getting advice from the guy that the only yotes I have killed have been run down and ran over on my snowmobile. That can be pretty exciting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom