Hobbies outside of hunting?

Wyo_Roadhunter

Since there isn't much to do this time of year what is your hobbies that aren't hunting related? Welding is one of my biggest and luckily I get to at work every so often so that helps the days and nights go by fast. And yes I only take pictures of the good sides 😉😂.

20240315_011107.jpg

20240315_014010.jpg

20230407_130605.jpg

20230320_183734.jpg

20220429_104306.jpg

20220329_131743.jpg

The dude who welded up my T-bucket frame is almost as good as you. That T-bucket is my hobby. This will be the first summer it has ran consistently since I bought it 3-4 years ago. New motor, tranny, wiring and now Im on the hunt for an EFI system as I am tired of stuck floats on my carbs.

The dude who welded up my T-bucket frame is almost as good as you. That T-bucket is my hobby. This will be the first summer it has ran consistently since I bought it 3-4 years ago. New motor, tranny, wiring and now Im on the hunt for an EFI system as I am tired of stuck floats on my carbs.
I love T-buckets, dad had one when I was younger and that thing was so fun haha. Post some pictures of it!

I played a lot of baseball before my adult life. To keep that going, I now play competitive men’s fastpitch softball. But as kids are aging, it’s getting harder to keep at it.
I loved FP softball. It was our alternative to football in the fall, HS, and I played it until the late 80s.

Nice work. Welding is a great hobby. Use to weld a lot. Now just at work and projects at home. I am glad I took 4 years of welding in mig, arc, oxy/acetylene , never touched tig. My brazing well its embarrassing how my welds turn out

Your hobby is going to be expensive using 150 pound pipe flanges.

Here is my current cute vertical weld
20240229_134957.jpg

Nice work. Welding is a great hobby. Use to weld a lot. Now just at work and projects at home. I am glad I took 4 years of welding in mig, arc, oxy/acetylene , never touched tig. My brazing well its embarrassing how my welds turn out

Your hobby is going to be expensive using 150 pound pipe flanges.

Here is my current cute vertical weld
View attachment 140039
Nice it's always a good thing to know!

Those are beautiful welds. Quite an art. My Dad was a welder but not me. He specialized in overhead welding in the ship yards prior to WWII. I had to weld a little bit in the saw shop but I was never very good at it.

One of my hobbies is hunting for my golf ball in the woods. Some people call it golf.

Hmmm. I have several that are hunting related, such as camping and riding my ATV. But outside of hunting season, maybe once every couple of months. I'm also addicted to checking my trail cams. And I piddle with a little taxidermy.

But hobbies that I do regularly are:
1) Skeet shooting, 3-4 leagues per year.
2) Exercise/running, 3-4X per week for 25+ miles a week. Plus 1-2 races each month.

Regarding the welding pics above, for a hobby, that's some nice work! I HAVE welded, and CAN weld, but it doesn't look anything like that!!

Those are beautiful welds. Quite an art. My Dad was a welder but not me. He specialized in overhead welding in the ship yards prior to WWII. I had to weld a little bit in the saw shop but I was never very good at it.

One of my hobbies is hunting for my golf ball in the woods. Some people call it golf.
Thats my kind of golf!

I Built My First Small Block Chevy Engine When I Was 14!

It Became A Hobby For Many Years!

Took Me Alot Of Years To Learn/Figure Out That No Matter How Bad/Fast You Think You Are!

There's Somebody Somewhere With More Money That's Badder Than You!

When The Better Diesel Engines Showed Up My Hobby Had To Be Tweaked A Little!

I Have Had A Street Legal 3/4 Ton Pick-Up Up To 142 MPH On The Salt Flats Of Course!:D

Nice welds! I can stick two pieces of metal together but at best am just a dirt dobber when it comes to welding.

My hobbies outside of hunting are fishing, of which I do a lot, gardening, and horses although I don’t ride near as much or as far as I used to.

I Built My First Small Block Chevy Engine When I Was 14!

It Became A Hobby For Many Years!

Took Me Alot Of Years To Learn/Figure Out That No Matter How Bad/Fast You Think You Are!

There's Somebody Somewhere With More Money That's Badder Than You!

When The Better Diesel Engines Showed Up My Hobby Had To Be Tweaked A Little!

I Have Had A Street Legal 3/4 Ton Pick-Up Up To 142 MPH On The Salt Flats Of Course!:D
Well when you get bored I have a 02 cummins that could use fun stuff 😂😂

02 24 Valve Is A Good Year!

But..........................!

One Of The Noisiest CUMMINS Ever Built!:D

6 Speed Stick I Hope?
It's definitely very loud, I'm guessing my neighbors love it in the mornings.... 😂. And I wish it was but it's a automatic. The stock transmission actually made it to 220,000 miles then blew up at the rest area by Echo Reservoir just as I was going to pass someone. Now it has ATS stage 2 transmission which I haven't been very impressed with.

It's getting so hard at 77 yrs. of age (physically, and health-wise), as well as drawing a deer with luck every five years- I have just as much fun, and I don't push the envelope any by chasing deer, elk and other critters with my video camcorder. My most consistent finds are town deer or deer and elk during the rut. Nothing special, these two were relaxing with does in December, well after the seasons were over. The other buck was so relaxed, I moved on came back after 40 min. and he was still chillin"!

IMG_3606.JPG

project1.jpg

It's getting so hard at 77 yrs. of age (physically, and health-wise), as well as drawing a deer with luck every five years- I have just as much fun, and I don't push the envelope any by chasing deer, elk and other critters with my video camcorder. My most consistent finds are town deer or deer and elk during the rut. Nothing special, these two were relaxing with does in December, well after the seasons were over. The other buck was so relaxed, I moved on came back after 40 min. and he was still chillin"!

View attachment 140061

View attachment 140064
Great pictures. That 2nd buck is really nice!

That was The Weak Link In Them Years Was That Automatic Tranny!

It's definitely very loud, I'm guessing my neighbors love it in the mornings.... 😂. And I wish it was but it's a automatic. The stock transmission actually made it to 220,000 miles then blew up at the rest area by Echo Reservoir just as I was going to pass someone. Now it has ATS stage 2 transmission which I haven't been very impressed with.

When I retired after
000_1568.JPG
30 years in law enforcement, my wife told me to get a hobby and not be underfoot as a couch potato. I used to do some gunsmithing, but gav
000_1483.JPG
e it up when CA. passed to many regulations.
I took up knife making and that hobby has turned a profit where It pays for the equipment and materials and give me a little rat hole money.
RELH

When I retired after View attachment 14008830 years in law enforcement, my wife told me to get a hobby and not be underfoot as a couch potato. I used to do some gunsmithing, but gavView attachment 140089e it up when CA. passed to many regulations.
I took up knife making and that hobby has turned a profit where It pays for the equipment and materials and give me a little rat hole money.
RELH
Boy that top one is a great looking knife. 😁😁😁

That top one is a feather Damascus drop point. That one sold real quick. My Grandson got the brother to it.
RELH

Skiing, hiking, camping, and mountain bike riding are some of my main retirement hobbies when it’s not hunting season. My Wife and I rode 26 miles of single track in the Arizona desert where we are camped yesterday. Wifey cheated though since She’s riding a Liv Intrigue e mtn bike.

Hey Beaner!

She'll Never Swap Bikes With You Now!:D

Skiing, hiking, camping, and mountain bike riding are some of my main retirement hobbies when it’s not hunting season. My Wife and I rode 26 miles of single track in the Arizona desert where we are camped yesterday. Wifey cheated though since She’s riding a Liv Intrigue e mtn bike.

Couple of local establishments in Green River. American Legion hosts a tournament. They take a $10 rake for charity from a &60 buy in. No limit Texas Hold 'em. Also another place has a $120 buy in tournament 3-4 times a month. Everyone (except me!) traveled to Wendover for the weekend, so no games here dang it! My buddy Randy won both tournaments at the Peppermill! $4k for Friday's, and I don't know how much he won Saturday. Must have been on a good run of cards!

Couple of local establishments in Green River. American Legion hosts a tournament. They take a $10 rake for charity from a &60 buy in. No limit Texas Hold 'em. Also another place has a $120 buy in tournament 3-4 times a month. Everyone (except me!) traveled to Wendover for the weekend, so no games here dang it! My buddy Randy won both tournaments at the Peppermill! $4k for Friday's, and I don't know how much he won Saturday. Must have been on a good run of cards!
Green River, Wyo or Green River, Utah?

When I retired after View attachment 14008830 years in law enforcement, my wife told me to get a hobby and not be underfoot as a couch potato. I used to do some gunsmithing, but gavView attachment 140089e it up when CA. passed to many regulations.
RELH

That bottom knife is one of many in my Hatfield collection. 😁

Nice looking stringer beads buddy! Not too shabby for not having your hand in it every day. TIG welding gets a lot of press, but IMO stick welding at an elite level is what separates the men from the boys.
I have been a steamfitter for closing in on 30 years now, but am in the office now as an estimator. The new job has it's own kind of pressure, but nothing comes close to the pressure I have felt over the years of trying to pass the pre-job weld test. Not to mention the real possibility of busting an X-ray every day once you finally get the job. A pipe welder always has one foot out the door, LOL! Sure don't miss those days.
Nowadays all I weld is personal stuff that needs fixing, stuff for the jeep, or the occasional BBQ smoker.

IMG_0684.JPG

Longun - That is a metal detector's dream cache. I've spent hundreds of hours metal detecting looking for something similar with no luck.

Dual Exhaust!

SWEET!

Nice looking stringer beads buddy! Not too shabby for not having your hand in it every day. TIG welding gets a lot of press, but IMO stick welding at an elite level is what separates the men from the boys.
I have been a steamfitter for closing in on 30 years now, but am in the office now as an estimator. The new job has it's own kind of pressure, but nothing comes close to the pressure I have felt over the years of trying to pass the pre-job weld test. Not to mention the real possibility of busting an X-ray every day once you finally get the job. A pipe welder always has one foot out the door, LOL! Sure don't miss those days.
Nowadays all I weld is personal stuff that needs fixing, stuff for the jeep, or the occasional BBQ smoker.

View attachment 140460

View attachment 140460
Wow! You thought of everything with that smoker BBQ. A++

Just curious, what's under the car cover behind the smoker?

My Dad and Brother were welders, that’s some nice work you do.

I made this “Deck Gun” out of drill pipe and drill collars just to shoot off the deck for fun. (Not for hunting).

I did everything except for the welding. I did not grind and finish one weld just because it is so flowery and pretty.

7A397913-12FB-4F7A-B918-E49E5AEE34F4.jpeg

46502EB9-4566-4BBE-85CC-44CAC065D5A2.jpeg

A89CBD77-15F1-45EA-8235-471997478800.jpeg

FF160D6A-28F8-46C3-B14A-EFBF98553672.jpeg

16D0F6E8-2461-40DE-8464-C14708E3B728.jpeg

FA5B99E8-6DB9-4AC6-AE61-47C2FE35E614.jpeg

36A95FEC-E4B0-41A2-AEA6-17728F8043FF.jpeg

B320A2D2-3DE6-4C3D-8632-FD156B33BC4A.jpeg

0823B514-CA33-4E66-BDA2-3FE02693D988.jpeg

25D452F0-0CEF-442E-AA5D-C1B0458D6FEF.jpeg

Last edited:
You Rock The Neighbors With That?

I made this “Deck Gun” out of drill pipe and drill collars just to shoot off the deck for fun. (Not for hunting).

I did everything except for the welding. I did not grind and finish one weld just because it is so flowery and pretty.

View attachment 140496

View attachment 140497

View attachment 140498

View attachment 140499

View attachment 140500

View attachment 140501

View attachment 140502

View attachment 140503

View attachment 140504

View attachment 140505

View attachment 140496

View attachment 140497

View attachment 140498

View attachment 140499

View attachment 140500

View attachment 140501

View attachment 140502

View attachment 140503

View attachment 140504

View attachment 140505

Very cool!

View attachment 140496

View attachment 140497

View attachment 140498

View attachment 140499

View attachment 140500

View attachment 140501

View attachment 140502

View attachment 140503

View attachment 140504

View attachment 140505

Awesome!!
Now you need to post a video of you shootings it.
Very nice!!

Beautiful work castandshoot. It does add a deeper understanding to your MM a.k.a.

A good friend built a beautiful bowling ball cannon, looks very similar. Shooting it is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. Unofficially, he’s hunted antelope with it………. Unsuccessfully….. I should add.

I bought the gas cylinders to make a couple of them years ago but never got around to it…. Could not afford the projectiles either. If anybody is interested in them, I’ll trade or sell them.

Beautiful work castandshoot. It does add a deeper understanding to your MM a.k.a.

A good friend built a beautiful bowling ball cannon, looks very similar. Shooting it is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. Unofficially, he’s hunted antelope with it………. Unsuccessfully….. I should add.

I bought the gas cylinders to make a couple of them years ago but never got around to it…. Could not afford the projectiles either. If anybody is interested in them, I’ll trade or sell them.

9F29D8B0-4F71-4821-987B-0A02B33D0792.jpeg

Wow! You thought of everything with that smoker BBQ. A++

Just curious, what's under the car cover behind the smoker?
WOW….. you got a nose for the good stuff!

How bout I buy and ship you a metal detector and we split the treasures?

Can a person adapt one of those cannons to shoot like 2 pounds of birdshot? For example, #4 lead?

From three at a time to………. What’s the physic with 2 pounds?

Last edited:
But you don't want to talk about it?

That's a bunch of BS.....brokers/salespersons maybe were doing some shady stuff. Everyone knows that the seller MUST offer a commission to the buyers agent. What other incentive is there for a buyers agent to show a sellers property? Pretty silly.....

I spend alot of time in the hills. More than most would think lol. I love hiking around and finding new areas. I also am a very avid fisherman, don't go as much as I'd like, but most of colorado fisheries are trash imo.

Love yotie hunting and shooting prairie maggots and rabbits too.

That's a bunch of BS.....brokers/salespersons maybe were doing some shady stuff. Everyone knows that the seller MUST offer a commission to the buyers agent. What other incentive is there for a buyers agent to show a sellers property? Pretty silly.....
Well, there's a signed contract between the seller and the listing broker. And I think there must be at least an agreement between the listing broker and any agent or other offices that sells the property. I thought the beef was in the commission percentage.

Don't mess with me Wisz. I was a licensed salesman for a couple years. I know my stuff and things.

Well, there's a signed contract between the seller and the listing broker. And I think there must be at least an agreement between the listing broker and any agent or other offices that sells the property. I thought the beef was in the commission percentage.

Don't mess with me Wisz. I was a licensed salesman for a couple years. I know my stuff and things.
They are wanting the buyers to pay their buyers agent.....no one wins with the changes they are making. If I want to represent a buyer, I have to have them under contract with me and that they pay me a commission. Too many problems with that to get in to but imagine FHA buyers bringing in 3.5% and then have to pay their buyers agent an additional 2-2.5%. Its ridiculous.

Plus, lots has changed since the 30's when you were licensed.

I have too many hobbies & most of them evolve around hunting.
I enjoy:
Archery
Building guns
Making turkey calls
BBQing & smoking meat
Hiking the mountains near the house. Etc…
You forgot spending money on any unnecessary weapon imaginable! LOL

I have too many hobbies & most of them evolve around hunting.
I enjoy:
Archery
Building guns
Making turkey calls
BBQing & smoking meat
Hiking the mountains near the house. Etc…
Making turkey calls? Send me some pics?

They are wanting the buyers to pay their buyers agent.....no one wins with the changes they are making. If I want to represent a buyer, I have to have them under contract with me and that they pay me a commission. Too many problems with that to get in to but imagine FHA buyers bringing in 3.5% and then have to pay their buyers agent an additional 2-2.5%. Its ridiculous.

Plus, lots has changed since the 30's when you were licensed.
A lot has changed since 1973. I was representing the buyer on my first sale, and he sued me. We worked it out, out of court, and in the end the seller slipped me a $500 tip.

I figured out I was in the wrong line of work.

Since there isn't much to do this time of year what is your hobbies that aren't hunting related? Welding is one of my biggest and luckily I get to at work every so often so that helps the days and nights go by fast. And yes I only take pictures of the good sides 😉😂.

View attachment 140025

View attachment 140026

View attachment 140027

View attachment 140028

View attachment 140029

View attachment 140030
Panning for gold, fishing, golf, and hunting that's about all I can handle and afford

Luckily I never got into golf, since they will not let me take my shotgun out on the corse to shot birdies. 🤣🤣🤣
Plenty busy hiking, camping, reloading, shooting, working on our houses and rentals, fishing, planning future hunts, restoring old things, spending time with wife and family.

Luckily I never got into golf, since they will not let me take my shotgun out on the corse to shot birdies. 🤣🤣🤣
Plenty busy hiking, camping, reloading, shooting, working on our houses and rentals, fishing, planning future hunts, restoring old things, spending time with wife and family.
Rentals?? Are you in Cali? If so, have you read up on the Tenant Protection Act? If you are exempt from the "TPA" and don't know it, you are giving your tenanst ridiculous rights and may be spending up to $7,500 in relocation costs if you decide to evict. Know your rights.....I can talk to you about that if you'd like.

Rentals?? Are you in Cali? If so, have you read up on the Tenant Protection Act? If you are exempt from the "TPA" and don't know it, you are giving your tenanst ridiculous rights and may be spending up to $7,500 in relocation costs if you decide to evict. Know your rights.....I can talk to you about that if you'd like.
Yep, Calif. & OR. This state of full of BS. Have to carefully screen tenants. So far they all have been good. Commercial property is what we want to get out of.

View attachment 140496

View attachment 140497

View attachment 140498

View attachment 140499

View attachment 140500

View attachment 140501

View attachment 140502

View attachment 140503

View attachment 140504

View attachment 140505
That's so damn cool!!

View attachment 140496

View attachment 140497

View attachment 140498

View attachment 140499

View attachment 140500

View attachment 140501

View attachment 140502

View attachment 140503

View attachment 140504

View attachment 140505
Looking at the bottom photo....do you shoot beers to your neighbors? 😄

Dirt bike racing, ultramarathons to keep me in shape for hunting, skiing with the family, turning wood on the lathe.

... ultramarathons.....
I've done a few marathons and always said they were crazy. And that half marathons were only half-crazy. But ultras? Never done one and don't have any plans to do one. Halfs are my favorite. Nice blend of speed and endurance, for me.

Barkley just finished last week. I think the first female finisher was this year!

I've done a few marathons and always said they were crazy. And that half marathons were only half-crazy. But ultras? Never done one and don't have any plans to do one. Halfs are my favorite. Nice blend of speed and endurance, for me.

Barkley just finished last week. I think the first female finisher was this year!
Yes Barkley just finished yesterday afternoon. First female was awesome. Only like 21 finishers in 38 year history of the race.

The thing lots of folks don’t understand about golf is that it can be an adventure.

Most of my rounds include aquatic stuff, amphibious rodents, often ungulates and other birds - not to mention ticks, snakes and day-drinking cougars. :oops:

We just got back from a couple of days hacking around at a place by Luke AFB (phx). The Thunderbirds were in town and were practicing basically over the golfing woods. It’s hard to golf with a patriotic boner.🇺🇸
IMG_6246.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom