Home gun safety?

HorseCreek

Very Active Member
What do you guys do at home? I have kids running around. I like to have my hand guns easily accessible but with the rug rats running around they need to be secure. I have a small lock box in the closet but if I needed to get to it quick I think I'd be toast.
Found this today, think I might get one.
http://www.thegunbox.com/

Traditional >>>------->

Thats a fatherly decision. I dont have kids so I dont have that issue but its surely something you have to consider. Ive got multiple guns loaded spread out in my house. But when company does come, I got to round them up and get them secured. When they do come I got acouple of good spots up high out of reach of the kids but I can reach them for easy access.

I have the usual up high places as well. I'd like something by my bed that's easy access but the kids can't get to. My son is a morning person....I'm not. I can't leave a gun on the night stand or in the drawer for fear he'd come in and see it while I'm sleeping.

Traditional >>>------->

No kids at home, but I understand your very real concern.

I like that Gun Box, especially the one with finger print ID so you and your wife can both have access.

Good for you HorseCreek

Growing up my parents never locked guns or ammo. Very accessible, us kids never got into trouble with them cause I was taught responsibility and consequences. Around the age of 8 I was allowed to take my gun out and shoot in the yard anytime I wanted. I always informed my mom or dad but they didn't care.

I now have kids and they all know how to shoot them. I don't lock any guns or ammo. They know what can happen from misuse and don't "play" with them. They know responsibility and the consequences.
They are home alone with the guns at random times and I am not afraid at all about something bad happening with the guns because of the kids misusing them.

Teach them correctly and then you don't need a safe to lock your guns up in your own home.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

I have three little rug rats running around my house. From a young age I have been teaching them the responsibility that comes with having a fire arm in the house. They all know and understand that they are not to touch or play with them when mom or dad are not around to supervise them.

Having said that I strongly encourage my kids to bring their friends over to our place to play. The more time they spend at our place the closer I can keep an eye on them so that they are not doing dumb stuff. Because we have so many kids running around the place I lock up everything that I have. My kids may understand fire arm safety but their friends don't have a clue what a fire arm is.

400bull

Kids are curious. Kids have friends. Friends have kids. If you have a gun that is not locked up then you are creating a situation similar to having a swimming pool without a fence. The law terms this an attractive nuisance. Your obligation to prevent injury increases as a result to include unauthorized access, too.

I keep a handgun loaded under the bed. Chamber is empty so I do need to rack a shell to fire since the handgun is inside a locked case. If the case is dropped, the firing pin is not in line with a primer. The locked case also reduces the chance my own gun will be found and used against me during a robbery.

The case I use opens with a mechanical punch keypad. A small risk someone will guess the one combination that would unlock the case. Not likely but possible.

The fingerprint safes I have seen rely on a battery. I had a prototype version created by a company a decade ago. If your skin was dry the sensor did not always read the fingerprint quickly. Perhaps that issue is resolved. I do not want to worry about dry skin when there is urgency.

I just bought and installed a MICROVAULT XL BIOMETRIC PSTL CAS from Natchezss. Finger print scanner. 9 volt battery, can scan 120 diff prints. So my wife and I did all our fingers in case an injury or something else prevented us from using one.

I keep my Primary FN 5.7x28 with 3 topped off mags and my glock 27 BUG in the case.

My 4 year old is big enough now that putting it on the top of my dresser when I get home from work is not safe. The rest of my guns are in a Browning pro steel safe.

When my girls friends come over they know the rules. Guns are not to be played with. I never have a problem with their friends. If they play with them my girls tell them to stop and I find out instantly. That kid is then going home, problem solved. I don't "ask" my kids or their friends to follow my rules...

Mntman

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

We keep one loaded on the night stand. When young one's are over I move it to a nice high place like others. We practice this philosophy: If you have little ones one must guard against any access or accidental discharge of any firearm. As they grow up they will get curious and that is when you can have problems with accessible weapons. If you educate your children about your firearms, explain what they are, how they work and the damage they can do including killing someone. Then children start to understand what a firearm/gun,rifle, pistol, shotgun really is. Then we actually sit them down while explaining all the above and let them handle an unloaded handgun, rifle , shotgun along with letting them hold a real bullet under total adult supervision, That is ME...when you take the curiosity out of firearms kids will not need to sneak to see and handle a firearm. Show them how to handle firearms safely and explain the rules " do not touch or handle this gun because it is loaded". If you have taught them correctly and you have responsible children like ours you can leave a firearm out with a 10yr. Old and they will never touch it because they already have ...and know exactly what it feels like and does. I have our safe where I keep most of my guns and such but as said prior. A locked up gun will do you no good when Sh@t happens. Life or death when you have someone break into your house and they are armed is decided in a couple of seconds. And if you don't think so you are fooling yourself.

))))------->

Not talking about handguns but i grew up on a ranch that, besides the main entry, had multiple guns stacked behind every door in the house. As i grew into my teens, i was allowed to shoot any of them i wanted at any time but as a kid, was on strict orders with no possible mistakes about them, not to touch or disturb those guns under fear of getting my butt whipped good!

I was the oldest of about 25 grand kids that spent a lot of time on that ranch and i don't know of a single issue one with those guns. We were just taught at a early age and breaking the rules wasn't worth the certain punishment.

That said, even with no kids about, i love my gun safe. There also might be a hide or two about my place...could be.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I grew up in a house that didn't have a gun safe. There were no hidden guns. I always knew where they were and where the ammo was. I knew the consequences of playing with guns. However not all my friends did. It only takes a millisecond for an accident to happen. I'm not in the business to tell other parents what's "right or wrong" to each their own. I'm just not comfortable leaving loaded guns out hoping a child won't make a bad decision. I've been a parent long enough to know that a kids day is filled with bad decisions.

Traditional >>>------->

Exactly Horsecreek, It only takes a split second for an accident of a lifetime. I have all my guns in my gun cabinet and no one has the combination but me. I think the gun box you posted a link to is a great idea. They arnt much money! You could put a couple around the house and not just at your bedside for that price.

All good comments:
My thoughts:
- I now have grandkids coming over that are TOO Young to understand gun safety, and guns.
- We have had 2 accidental shootings in my area this year. One was a 2 year old boy, father a police officer.
(again too young to understand)
- I also grew up no a farm with guns behind every door. We never had an accident, but easily could have by a neighbor kid.
- My kids shot at very young ages, and were taught that even looking at my guns without me with them, was going to be dealt with by the wooden spoon.
- It only take 1 small lapse by a kid to ruin LOTS AND LOTS of lives.

For all of those reasons, I keep my pistols locked in my bedroom, and my other guns locked in the gun safe.

I never have rounds in the chamber.

My circumstance, with little kids at my house, and their tendency to roam around, had made me feel best about this approach.

Funny how times change. I grew up in the city. My father had a pistol on his bedside. I too was taught at an early age it was not a toy. He let me handle it, dry fire it, showed me how everything worked. He started letting me touch it at an early age and as I grew, he let do more with until I was allowed to shoot it when we went into the desert for that purpose. I knew if I disappointed my dad, I was going to reap hell, and the thought of handling that pistol never turned into action. I taught my son the same way. The first time we went shooting, I shot a milk jug full of water and told him "That's what happens where ever you point this thing". He never forgot it and has always been a safe gun handler. Whenever there are other children in the house, the guns have to be put away. I don't want some kid that got a participation award in sports and has never felt his dad's hand on his backside having access. My granddaughters are old enough to be thinking about marriage, so I won't have to worry about little one's until the great grandchildren start coming around.

My kids are grown and gone now. But I raised them the same way my parents raised me. We had guns in all sorts of places. I still do. There's a rifle by the mud room door. There's a pistol by my bedside, a 41 mag. (I shoot it better.) There are several high powered rifles around. I want to always be prepared to shoot any intruder from a coyote in the yard or hayfields out the back door.

I raised my kids to understand and respect firearms. When friends came, we made sure everyone was safe. Now, we lock everything tight when we leave, but stand ready when at home. I used to teach hunter safety and always shot gelatin jugs and things like melons and soda pop. That makes an impression.

From my perspective, our society has become far too urbanized and afraid of liability. That's too bad because we still need people that aren't afraid to be independent and do the right thing. Ag kids learn responsibility at an early age and learn to figure things out on their own. It's a good thing.

My kids are now grown, but not long out of the house. Most of my guns are in a safe, but there have always been several loaded handguns in my house, even with infant kids. Night stand is one obvious place, and high on a closet shelf another.

From the earliest age, they were given instruction, and allowed to handle, ask, or just see any of the guns, as long as Mom or I were present. Disciple was swift and certain, but never had to be implemented with the guns. They knew if they broke the simple rule, they wouldn't get to handle or see ANY guns for the longest period of time. And besides, when they can handle, fondle, and feel any gun they wanted just by asking, the mystery and temptation went away.

This is a mode of parenting that won't work for everyone. My sister wouldn't dream of this approach, and even my parents were skeptical. All I can say is it worked for me. Perhaps too well, as my grown kids show little interest in firearms besides hunting. They have taken countless guns to the range over the years, and now that they are starting out on their own lives guns are not their highest priority. Somewhat disappointing for a true gun nut like me, but I know they can make their own decisions with firearms responsibly for the rest of their lives.

Bill

mntman,

that is great that you have taught your kids well, but at what age did you trust your kids with unlocked guns and ammo? Not really sure how you could trust a 3-4-5 year old myself.

I lock everything and probably always will, 3 boys under 4 in the house now.

I made it part of their lives. My girls started shooting 22's around 4, and bows as early as 4. They seen me with them all the time and I answered all of their questions, asked them to help clean them, carry them etc... If you don't allow guns/bows to be a mystery to them then they won't be fascinated to "play" with them.
I never messed around with guns when I was that young and they were always right there to be seen and talked about all the time, along with the ammo.
If you keep guns away from your kids and treat them like a big secret that only "adults" get to share then of course they will be curious and play with them. If you bring your kids in on the "secret" it is no longer a secret. There are teenagers I wouldn't trust with a gun, hell there are adults I wouldn't trust with a gun... Age has nothing to do with it. Responsiblility, knowledge, training and experience are the factors of importance. Look at Texas, there are always stories of kids down there shooting their first deer at 5, 6 or 7 years old. Yes there is an adult with them but the kid is still in control of that rifle.

Never had any fears, don't now and won't in the future of my kids and guns in the house. When I have grandkids come around, they too will know/respect guns. It will be part of their lives when visiting Grandpa :)

Mntman

My way is more along the line of Mtman's. I believe in teaching youngsters about guns at an early age. Take the curiosity out of the equation. Show them the animals taken with the firearm, Let them know THAT THEY ARE A TOOL THAT NEEDS TO BE RESPECTED AND NOT PLAYED WITH, JUST LIKE THE TABLE SAW, SKILL SAW, OR CHAINSAW. There are times to use tools and time for them to be left alone.
as for our home, I carry a handgun all the time, even when at home or outside around the house. In the house all the guns are in the gun cabinet, except my wife's pistol and a shotgun. Her pistol is with her or on the headboard of the bed, and the shotgun in loaded in my closet. it isn't within reach of little hands. We also have an early warning system if we do need to be armed. There names are Duke and Jake, Black labs. when the grand kids are curious about our guns, its time to take them out and do a little shooting and gun safety, its really a good thing to teach kids about guns and let them know what a good thing a gun can be. Dont let them be scared of guns and tell them they NEED TO BE LOCKED AWAY FROM THEM or THEY ARE OFF LIMITS, This just brings on curiosity and curiosity about guns is a bad thing.Teach kids and they will learn to respect them.

I have dispatched a few jack rabbits with a high powered rifle while my kids were with me. When we walked up on what use to look like a rabbit, the shredded tangle of ears, meat, fur and organs leave a lasting impression on young minds. Educating kids is essential, but I also believe we need to have a safety net like a gun safe or hiding spot. It's not my kids I'm worried about, it my kids friends.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-14 AT 11:46AM (MST)[p]Those boxes protect you from MR lawyer man.

Even if the cops call it an accident and no charges filed, MR LAWYER MAN can get everything you own and most every penny you earn in the future.

MR LAWYER MAN don't EFF Around.

We when all grew up MR LAWYER MAN did not have the power to ruin your life like he has today.

Guns are still the same, but the courts and MR LAWYER MAN are different now.

This is my solution--an under-bed, long gun safe http://blackboxsafe.com/. It is nice for keeping a shotgun or AR15 handy and locked up.

This is a screenshot from the youtube intoduction
3918safe.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom