Hope 'n to change my handle

W

wannabeelkhntr

Tomorrow morning I am making the 9hr trip to stubble around in the San Jaun Wilderness and the La Garita Wilderness, bow in hand, calling what I do elk hunting for the rest of the archery season. I figured for a guy like me who is probably the worst elk hunter in the mountains, the natural progression when you have yet to harvest an elk is: "Wannabe"(which is what I am now), "Blind-Luck"(after my 1st elk), and finally "elk hunter"(after I have a few under my belt). The first elk I get will probably be 99% blind luck, 'cause I truly don't know what I am doing, and the poor elk probably needs to be put out of its misery. If I get elk number 2, then maybe I can start talking about elk hunting alittle bit instead of listening...usually still better just to listen.

Elk hunting has really humbled me. I was getting pretty cocky after downing a few really nice whitetails on a more routine basis. I am guilty of judging the hunter on the bones they collect, good vs. bad. I don't believe that anymore. I have a good place to deer hunt which helps collecting the bone, but I have yet to find that "elk honey hole". I have much respect for the western hunters who harvest deer and elk, regardless of the inches they have, or lack thereof, on a regular basis. What I do and how I hunt is more like shooting fish-in-a-barrel compared to getting on the ground, sneaking around or mixing it up with them.

I love the mountains. I appreciate the opportunity. I can't wait for the outdoor experience, but hope I get to change my login in to blindluckelkhntr when I get back.

GR

Cool post...best of luck to you and hope you get one!!!!!

?We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.? Aldo Leopold

Only when I have been blessed with a tag......

?We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.? Aldo Leopold

LAST EDITED ON Sep-23-08 AT 09:49PM (MST)[p]Hope you get a nice one for your first. I'll never forget my first bull.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom