Horn Growth

Country

Just curious what people are seeing as far as horn growth and the lack of rain/moisture this year. I have heard that due to the lack of moisture and the above avergae temperatures, horn growth will be down this year. Wondering what some of your opinions are? Also, how do you think these conditions effect the hunting season?

I have been scouting the area i hunt and the bulls i have watched the past couple years seem to be doing just fine on antler growth. As for the hunting conditions this season, I will let you know September 24th...

I did see an article from Randy Ulmer, that he thought when it was a longer/hotter summer it tended to push the elk into the rut quicker with a lesser temperature drop than normal years. I dont know if that is load of BS or not, but food for thought....

Growth is terrible this year.

spike.jpg

Oak- Now that is funny.LOL
In western Colorado I have not noticed any problems even with extremely dry conditions.
It rained a few days ago which will help some but we need a lot more.
Have noticed quite a few smaller bucks this year but only because the last few winters were not too bad and finally deer numbers hopefully are going to rebound=more younger deer are surviving the winter.
Seen a few good bucks but it will be a few more weeks before I get excited about what they are going to become.
Best,
Jerry

Yo Oak-

Not asking for any holes or anything, but could you tell me whereabouts this picture was taken? GPS coordinates maybe? PM me if you don't want to make it public.....

Thanks for the feedback, seems even though conditions are dry horn growth wont be too much of an issue. Thanks guys

No horns but some progress on antlers.

3-14-12-1.jpg

Just prior to shed. March 14.

3-27-12-1.jpg

March 27. Probably the same bull.

3-27-12-2.jpg

March 27.

4-24-12-1.jpg

April 24.

6-2-12-6.jpg

June 2.

These are all from trail cameras on some property I have in the Wet Mountains, except the last one. This last one is the same property but with my digital pocket camera.

6-28-12-2.jpg

June 28.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom