Horse fly Mountain,Unit 61

Hello, Great unit, hunted third season a few years. Lots of rain during the second season, no weather third. I beleive you are refering to Horse Fly canyon. I've heard it's one of the areas best bets as well as Tabeguache canyon north of Horse Fly. The forth season the bucks slould be on the mesa's out of the canyons to the west.

Yea your right (Horse fly canyon)Before this unit was a throphy unit i hunted their in the early to med 80's,saw some good bucks then.Did you see any good Bucks on your hunt?Good to here from somebody that knows that area.Tell me more....

I checked my map collection and notes. Best advice is to stay away from the Divide road. You will be amazed at the number of elk hunters. Without weather you will need to stay high but below the elk hunters and in the most remote and roadless areas. The 3rd. season the deer start to move and with snow could produce a dandy. The 4th. season might push the deer into private ground, again weather is the key. If you are familiar with 61, I'd hunt 3rd. rather than 4th. Waiting to draw 4th. might be a long way off and who knows what will happen before then. Check Mc Kenzie Cr, Spruce and Pinon Mt., Red Canyon, and as deer start to move check the mesa's. Blue, Atkinson, and low on Calamity Cr. Hope this helps. There may be better units but 61 is still real good. I did take an oddball 30" buck. sourkraut

Ge thanks man,you did help me a-lot with my dec.Ya it takes to many pts for 4th season(14)got 8 next year going third season,thanks again

Anyone care to shed any light on the 61 archery deer hunt? thinking of it for next year. Lots of talk about the elk seasons and the late rifle hunts but not much chatter on archery deer.

Hard enough to get a 180 class buck with a rifle,don,t think i want to with a bow.

Agreed, but a chance or two is all I need, and I'm not that picky with a bow. 150-160+ bucks keep me plenty entertained.

Horse fly canyon is a good bet,you have Horse fly creek.You just have to go in their and look it over.There is plenty oak brush,and there are plenty of Aspen a little higer up,with Junper down low.......Good Hunting on each depends on weather.good luck

Ever hunt Horsefly Peak on 62 side? I have muzzy 62 and was wondering if that area was worth looking at. Does anyone know if there is much private in that part of the unit.
Thanks

No never hunted there,but have hunted Escalante canyon saw one of biggest Bucks i ever saw in that country.If your going to hunt 62 you might give it a try(Big Country)

good unit good area .Horsefly canyon is very ruff country if your horse makes the wrong step he will fly. I hunted last yr for elk. seen lots of bucks 24- 27 inch class . this unit has been over rated. Its good but not what some of these guys selling tags make it out to be . just like all units though ,there is a big buck out there thats why we hunt. good luck to all of us, this season .

you got it,if it was easy it wound't be hunting,love it!love it! I love Mule Deer hunting,also like to hunt Black tails.anybody agree...........

Thanks for the tip. I have been impressed with the quality of deer Ive seen, just dont like how many roads there are. If theres someplace rough, Im headin' in.

Anyone know of the elk population about this Horse Fly Mountain area? I have a 61 cow elk tag and will be fairly close to this area on opening morning, September 13. Has Anyone hunted elk in this part of unit 61 in Colorado?

BigPig, I'll be there the last 15 days of archery season if necessary. PM me in Oct and I'll tell you of the deer I see. I think if I had archery deer I'd hunt early though, before they rub.

calielk, thanks will do. I think you are right. I don't know much about the unit but I do know it's thick so being in velvet might keep them out in the open a bit more.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom