hot water canning

r7mm08

Has anyone used hot water bath to can meat. (say deer, elk ect.)
I have a guy that told me that;s how he has been doing for yrs.
Whats you take on this.
Thanks
Ron

They say the temp doesn't get high enough to kill botulism! Do not use this method!

Pressure cookers aren't that expensive, and the process is really easy as I've recently discovered. Try it, you'll luv it!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-15 AT 03:06PM (MST)[p]Did u see the thread a couple below this 1? It's pretty easy. Read the thread in that thread from forkwest.

>Pressure cookers aren't that expensive, and
>the process is really easy
>as I've recently discovered. Try
>it, you'll luv it!

Just picked up a Presto 23 quart canner off ebay for $85.99 with free shipping. I've got about 10 lbs of sockeye in the freezer and have a batch of it I lightly smoked in the canner at 14 psi as I type this. Next up will be some elk and antelope I've got in the freezer! I've canned veggies in a hot water bath for years.

Phil

There is actually a thread on here that lays out all of the directions quite nicely.

[/im
g][/URL]

Been doing it for a while now, I was a little hesitant at first.

You have to use a pressure cooker. Its the only way temps will get high enough to kill botulism (spelling?).

Rule of thumb is 90 minutes once the pressure cooker sets for meat in quart jars.

Ive pulled it off the shelf a couple years later and ate it. Good stuff, and no problems yet.

www.muleybulloutfitters.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom