Hounds Continued

M

MstrHntr

Ok does anyone know were I can get a proven lion hound.And would it be wise to buy some pups this year so there a year old by next season thanks again all you hound masters.

one other thing these fellers aint' sayin' is that any decent houndman is a liar. 'specially Ed. only kinda dogs i've ever seen him with is walkin' about 4 of them little shaky, puffball lookin' poodles. had em all on little leashes with pink ribbons in their ears walkin' em around san juan. the hound stories are BS. another thing to remember, why would a good houndman sell you a good dog? they're so few and far between that you keep them for yourself and sell the trash.

Thats the big Question! I have a freind wanting to get into hounds and am trying to advise him. You can find them every great once in a while. What kind of proven lion dog do you need and (what kind of counry and conditons do you plan to hunt)? A dirt dog from the southwest. Or a snow dog out of Idaho or northern UT? Thats the hard part! Your looking to spend. a min. of $1500.00 and up for a snow dog and $2500.00 - $4500.00 for a dirt dog. Thats just the way it is if your going to get a decent one thats under 7-8 years old... Dave Carlson from Central AZ is known to make great dogs (but hardly ever has them for sale), Stan who visits this site has conections to great bear and lion dogs pretty often. Last year I was in a bind and needed to replace a couple dirt lion dogs. I bought one that Stan had, it is a good dry ground lion dog and am pleased with it. Like the others here have said your in for a life changing experience and a lot of pain and trouble. Good Luck! Watch out for the dog pedlers! There a lot of them out there! And they will bite ya! I would learn as much about the sport as you can before buying a dog or any equpmt. This is just my advice, belive me I am no expert like some of these guys.

I might have something for sale come up this fall, but I have to wait first to see and evaluate how my recruiting class of 03 handle bear this summer/fall.

Be patient RLH, Ed is really swamped at work and might not get on the site for a day or two...

I'm sure he'll respond at some point. I've taken a few potshots at him myself so I'm bracing for the barrage. ;-)

Mstrhntr, I don't have any dogs for sale right now. I need my best dogs because I have some hunts booked for next year that I'll need to get taken care of. And I have a couple of young dogs that aren't ready to be called "finished"...

They have seen lions and bears and they will hunt, but they aren't trash free at this point. They are coming along but I really don't know which one I'd be willing to part with.

I have three young dogs, I'll probably keep two of them but I just don't know which two yet. If I hear of a nice lion dog for sale I'll let you know.

Best of luck amigo and try not to let the hound guys drag you into their miserable lives!! It's one thing to be guilty by association, it's another thing to become "a hound guy"... ;-)

Good luck. -Dawg (Guilty by Association)

Don't buy anything without trying it first !! I don't care who you buy it from. I would look for a proven hound and one, maybee two pups no more. I hunt any breed of hound that will get the job done. I also have two to Kemmer curs that I hunt, they are the hardest treeing and fastest running things I have ever had, they also learn real fast. But you need to be careful, there are more crap curs out there than hounds, but a good one is unreal.

You will have to develop a thick skin though, die -hard houndsman cant stand the thought of a cur dog, My uncle who started me in dogs twenty some years ago wouldn't even talk to me for a year. But guess who has a cur at his house now.

I firmly believe you need both Good luck.

Ps, buy a mule along with the curs you can get the ragging done for both at the same time.

any of you fellers ever run airedales with your hounds? one of the 2 or 3 best hounds i ever had was a red tick female that was 1/4 airedale. i've been with guys that used them with hounds on bears to help put them up a tree and on real mean lions.

Tried three different Airedales, one was great he would fight any bear and lion alive to the death, he would also run a hot track. But he collided head on with a fate that was unusual under any circumstances.
Puma guy was there maybee he will relate the story first hand.

Mulehound.

Thanx for the good words Brushbust.That is an awsome dry ground dog you have those ones don't come easy. It sure makes it nice to have a dog like that.MstrHntr if your looking to get a good dry ground dog I've got a really nice one for sale right now for a reasonable price.I'll be happy to take you out and show you what he'll do_Or sale him under a tree.Give me a call if your intrested.1928-386-8193 Trevor

Good hell Mulehound,

Most of us were trying to be somewhat helpful and give some advice, but you were downright mean!!

Telling the guy to get Cur dogs AND mules... that was downright malicious and mean spirited!!!

I'll try to remember you have a cruel streak in you!! ;-)

Ill try to give ya a call this afternoon or tongight. I have a few ?s though. Thanks

One thing is though I already own mules, so that Isnt mean I would rather own a good mule than a great horse.

Mulehound is referring a night several years ago. CV and I were camped in the mouth of Cottonwood Canyon on the southern Bookcliffs. We were hunting coyotes and didn't have any hounds in camp with us, matter of fact no mules were along either. CV had his airdale and a pup of some mutt breeding I don't quite recall. In the middle of the night we were both brought right out of a sound sleep (good drunk). A noise I still cannot find the words to describe rang through the camp. Both of us sat straight up in bed and questioned the scream from outside. Being CV had only gotten the pup a few days prior it was decided the pup was making some unhappy sounds just to bother us. It was determined that putting her in the dog box instead of outside under the stars would solve the problem of loosing sleep. The pup was caught and put in the box, but the airdale was nowhere around. The rest of the night was silent. We woke up and realized the airdale was still missing in action from camp. After a search we located the source of the nights interuption. At the edge of the corral we were camped next to we found drag marks heading up the hill west of camp. The airdale had an unhappy visit from a medium tom lion who killed him right in the corral, drug him up the hill and nearly ate him entirely. Strange but true.

He's not Kidding all that was left was bones. The lion laid on the ridge right above camp where he could see everthing and ate the best Airedale we ever owned.Asked DWR if the offending lion could be dealt with they said no way!.

Mulehound.

PS Cv was really pissed off.

Mulehound...

I totally believe this story. I know of a hound guy that wanted to show some people a lion he'd caught so he tied up a hound to the tree to leave it overnight.

Came back to the tree the next day with his dudes and the lion had come down during the night and killed and ate 3/4's of his dog. He didn't seem to care much (black and tan ya know) but he was glad it didn't eat his tracking collar. ;)

But one part of your post really confused me. "We asked the DWR if the lion could be dealt with"... ???

DWR? Asked? IF???? Huh??

I guess you boys do things differently down in your country. ;)

But now that I think about it, I asked the DWR a similiar thing once. I asked them, when they got a spare minute if they wouldn't mind kissing my ass. :)

Happy hunting!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom