House Rock Buffalo

Bugledemin, I hunted 12 AE Late hunt with a friend a few years ago. We hiked several miles back into a basin at the base of Cockscombs.. This is where the buffalo were.. They were way up in the pines, not down low in the valley floor. There were three water tanks alont this road if I remember correctly, and hunters were set up in blinds waiting for deer. We spoke with two different groups and both groups had buffalo come into water during the day. Another hunter was back in this same area and was actually charged by a large bull buffalo.. No joke in saying when he returned to camp that night he had dropped a load in his pants. This is where I would concentrate my time. Will be very difficult to get one of those monsters out of this area without horses... Good Luck.. Gamekiller

Gamekiller, Thanks for the info this will give me more options to sort through. Were hunting buffalo, and if you were did you guys take one. I do have access to horses and mules. Thanks for the tip I appreciate it this will help narrow down the choices thanks again....Bugledemin

No Bugledemin, my friend had a late 12AE late tag and we were hunting deer. Like Lv2hnt said, I would definately have horses or mules in camp. I really do not think it would be possible to take a buffalo out any other way. They were all in the wilderness area, in fact, they were higher up the plateau than most of the deer at that time of year (late November). I am not kidding when I said the one attacked another hunter. He panicked when the thing charged and dropped his rifle. The buf chased him around a tree. He eventually jabbed at the the beast with a stick and hit him in the eye. I know it soulds crazy but I was in camp with this guys budies late at night sharing a cold one when this guy came back. The look in his eye and the load in his pants said it all. It was hilarious... Bring lots of firepower....

This is NOT your grandmother's hunt! I know someone who drew for House Rock a few years ago (got the only bull tag available that year). He had scouted considerably (is himself an accomplished guide) but didn't get on an animal to shoot until Wednesday --- if I remember correctly, that would have been the 6th day of the hunt. He found the bull up on the Plateau in an aspen grove (had cut his tracks); shot him at 40 yards with a 30-378. It took them ALL day Thursday with horses and mules to get that bugger out! He brought the bull into the taxidermist I happened to be working for that year --- first one I'd ever handled. The back HALF of the hide alone took up a full sheet of plywood in the salt room! And try to cape a skull out when it's attached to the rest of the buff's front 1/2, including hooves (talk about one big Brillo pad)! Heck, the nose was bigger than some cantelope, with NO pliability. I must say, my taxidermist friend did an AWESOME job on the 1/2-lifesize mount!

Note of importance: make SURE you get your taxidermist lined up BEFORE your hunt and find out everything you can from him on how best to handle your trophy --- you want to end up with the absolute best mount possible!!!

Lv2hnt

I'll also agree,with the above Post,about this hunt.Definitely,not for the "AVERAGE"hunter.With 2 hunts in front of YOURS (Cows and Yearlings)these "Beasts"will be in the most remote areas to be found.

The "Saddle Mt. Wilderness" is some Tough country,but the "Cocks Combs"do offer a GREAT vantage point to glass from."QUALITY" optics on this hunt "ONLY".With the Early dates for YOUR hunt,the Plateau is a Good area also,(On Top.Crowd the park boundary,East and West of hwy 67.Alot of country for a "BUFF" to get lost in.With only 10 days,to hunt,YOU may want to go with some "PRO" help,just an "IDEA".If so,drop Don Martin an e-mail [email protected] He has a Good track,a finding these "BEASTS" in the past.Good Luck,take lots of HELP,with ---

AZbiggame, I agree with you fellas about how tough this hunt is. I'm not taking it lightly I stay in shape all year and have since bumped up my work outs knowing I drew the tag. I agree that quality optics are a must and have believed in quality optics for any hunt this area is taken care of. I appreciate the info as for a pro I don't have the money for that but thanks for the link. Thanks again

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom