How about a bounty on lions?

ktg

The number I've seen is each lion kills about 50 deer a year. Now do the calculations of how may deer that killing one lion saves over 4 years, counting all the fawns that would be produced. That's a lot of deer.

Now that it's legal in Utah to kill a lion with simply a hunting license, wouldn't it be great to see some conservation group(s) offer a bounty for lions? (since I can't see government doing that) Would that be legal?

The odds of just seeing a lion and getting a shot are really low. The most efficient way to hunt lions is with hounds, but the houndsmen I know don't want to kill the lions, they just want to chase them. If they kill them, they can't chase them again another day.
However, I bet a bounty would incentivize a few of them to pull the trigger, saving a crap ton of deer.

Last edited:
The number I've seen is each lion kills about 50 deer a year. Now do the calculations of how may deer that killing one lion saves over 4 years, counting all the fawns that would be produced. That's a lot of deer.

Now that it's legal in Utah to kill a lion with simply a hunting license, wouldn't it be great to see some conservation group(s) offer a bounty for lions? (since I can't see government doing that) Would that be legal?

The odds of just seeing a lion and getting a shot are really low. The most efficient way to hunt lions is with hounds, but the houndsmen I know don't want to kill the lions, they just want to chase them. If they kill them, they can't chase them again another day.
However, I bet a bounty would incentivize a few of them to pull the trigger, saving a crap ton of deer.
I think you’re right. Some organization that is committed to raising funds to for mule deer recovery might be willing to sponsor or help sponsor a bounty program.

What do you think a bounty would need to be to motivate people to hunt and kill cougars, in Utah?

What have typical bobcat pelts averaged at fur auctions over the last five years?

Personally, I’m not flush with cash but I’d be willing to donate money for a few cougar bounties each year. Also, invest some time trying to educate and encourage others to donate as well.

I think you’re right. Some organization that is committed to raising funds to for mule deer recovery might be willing to sponsor or help sponsor a bounty program.

What do you think a bounty would need to be to motivate people to hunt and kill cougars, in Utah?

What have typical bobcat pelts averaged at fur auctions over the last five years?

Personally, I’m not flush with cash but I’d be willing to donate money for a few cougar bounties each year. Also, invest some time trying to educate and encourage others to donate as well.
IDK what $ would be incentive enough, but I think the houndsmen are who would need to be targeted. They're going chasing cats anyway, just have to get them to shoot instead of release. Maybe $100? That's pretty freakin' cheap to save 50 deer in the first year. I'd donate to the cause, but I think some well known conservation group would have to head it up and manage it.

You better hurry the anti hunting groups are going to get lion hunting shut down now that lions are not regulated by the state

You better hurry the anti hunting groups are going to get lion hunting shut down now that lions are not regulated by the state

Lions are still regulated by the state. You still must possess a hunting license for them and there are still restrictions on how you can hunt them and requirements if you do kill one.

The enviro-whackos would like everyone to believe they are no longer regulated. That simply isn’t true.

And they will not succeed in their law suit. That’s my prediction.

IDK what $ would be incentive enough, but I think the houndsmen are who would need to be targeted. They're going chasing cats anyway, just have to get them to shoot instead of release. Maybe $100? That's pretty freakin' cheap to save 50 deer in the first year. I'd donate to the cause, but I think some well known conservation group would have to head it up and manage it.
Houndsman won't participate. They hate the open season as it is. Their sport is the chase, you can't chase if you're killing them each time you tree one.

I guess I was thinking 50 mule deer were worth more than $100. I was thinking, if we pay the going rate for bobcats the folks that hunt and trap for a living would more likely switch their focus, to cougars……. until the cougar reduction has been achieved.

I’m not naive enough to believe the right guys hunting cougars won’t quickly reduce the cougar population and do it quite quickly. It’s not like Utah has tens of thousands of them. So motivated hunters could reduce the over all population quite quickly……….. Why wouldn’t we want that?.

If the idea of opening cougar hunting up to greater harvest, is to reduce their predation on other species, I believe a generous bounty would accomplish that job much sooner, and it would be a big “well done” as far as I’m concerned

They can then switch back to a more restrictive cougar management plan. As long as they don’t go back to a management that allows the cougar to grow to an out of control population again. If they do. then have the Legislature do the agencies job again.

The sooner the cougar population is in balance with its prey base the sooner we can grow more mule deer.

Kill what needs to be killed tomorrow, as far as I’m concerned.

Screw the anti’s, they’ll destroy wildlife and take your entire lifestyle if you let them.

Let’s do this.

I Can't Wait For Deer Season To Be Opened Up UN-LIMITED & YEAR-AROUND!

Then We'll Hear Some PUSSIES On Here Cry!
This ***** will be one of those crying loudest BC. I don’t hate lions, I just believe they are currently out of balance with there prey base. Same as I believe we have more habitat than we have mule deer, thus I want more mule deer on the landscape.

It’s great to have a cougar in the back forty to enjoy, I understand that. I have mule deer in my yard for 4 to 6 months a year, and I enjoy them. All wildlife is a blessing to have and interact with, as long as the mule deer are not stripping the land of the plants and the cougars aren’t stripping the land of our mule deer.

So Lumpy?

You Wanna Shoot Cougars When You See Them?

I'm OK With That!

But You Don't Want Me To Shoot Deer When I See Them?

This ***** will be one of those crying loudest BC. I don’t hate lions, I just believe they are currently out of balance with there prey base. Same as I believe we have more habitat than we have mule deer, thus I want more mule deer on the landscape.

It’s great to have a cougar in the back forty to enjoy, I understand that. I have mule deer in my yard for 4 to 6 months a year, and I enjoy them. All wildlife is a blessing to have and interact with, as long as the mule deer are not stripping the land of the plants and the cougars aren’t stripping the land of our mule deer.

So Lumpy?

You Wanna Shoot Cougars When You See Them?

I'm OK With That!

But You Don't Want Me To Shoot Deer When I See Them?
In total honestly, I promise, cross my heart, swear on the all the Standard Works…….. if I believed we had more deer than there was habitat, I’d join you in shooting them, when I saw them.

Our difference of opinion, I suspect, is we disagree on whether the cougar population is too high for its mule deer prey base. I do, I think you may not.

We are killing mule deer year round already. All kinds of justifications for doing it. We already kill cow elk, nearly year round and some off both male and female elk, year round.

I'm Not Arguing That Lions Don't Eat Deer!

They Have Since Time Began!

I Just Wanna Do The Same Thing You Wanna Do On Different Species!

Would That Be OK?

In total honestly, I promise, cross my heart, swear on the all the Standard Works…….. if I believed we had more deer than there was habitat, I’d join you in shooting them, when I saw them.

Our difference of opinion, I suspect, is we disagree on whether the cougar population is too high for its mule deer prey base. I do, I think you may not.

We are killing mule deer year round already. All kinds of justifications for doing it. We already kill cow elk, nearly year round and some off both male and female elk, year round.

I'm Not Arguing That Lions Don't Eat Deer!

They Have Since Time Began!

I Just Wanna Do The Same Thing You Wanna Do On Different Species!

Would That Be OK?
Well, it would be totally okay, if it were justified. If it wasn’t justified, it would be a tragedy.

Wouldn’t you agree?

I guess I was thinking 50 mule deer were worth more than $100. I was thinking, if we pay the going rate for bobcats the folks that hunt and trap for a living would more likely switch their focus, to cougars……. until the cougar reduction has been achieved.

I’m not naive enough to believe the right guys hunting cougars won’t quickly reduce the cougar population and do it quite quickly. It’s not like Utah has tens of thousands of them. So motivated hunters could reduce the over all population quite quickly……….. Why wouldn’t we want that?.

If the idea of opening cougar hunting up to greater harvest, is to reduce their predation on other species, I believe a generous bounty would accomplish that job much sooner, and it would be a big “well done” as far as I’m concerned

They can then switch back to a more restrictive cougar management plan. As long as they don’t go back to a management that allows the cougar to grow to an out of control population again. If they do. then have the Legislature do the agencies job again.

The sooner the cougar population is in balance with its prey base the sooner we can grow more mule deer.

Kill what needs to be killed tomorrow, as far as I’m concerned.

Screw the anti’s, they’ll destroy wildlife and take your entire lifestyle if you let them.

Let’s do this.
Like I said, IDK how much would be enough. $500? $1000? At some point, there would be so many killed that the state would step in and say enough. The trick is kill as many as possible before that happened. lol

BC……. This time it’s the cougars. If the agency continues to manage incompetently, like they have been, let’s hope it’s an over population of mule deer that has to be dealt so harshly with the next time.

That'd Be Fine Lumpy But I Don't Think I'm Gonna Live Long Enough To See It!

You Ever Get To Thinking Like That/Me?

BC……. This time it’s the cougars. If the agency continues to manage incompetently, like they have been, let’s hope it’s an over population of mule deer that has to be dealt so harshly with the next time.

I Had About 15 to 18 Head On The Back Lawn When I Got Home!

That PISSCUTTER 4 Isn't Even Tempting!

If You Had 3 Lions On Your Lawn What Would You Do?

Like I said, IDK how much would be enough. $500? $1000? At some point, there would be so many killed that the state would step in and say enough. The trick is kill as many as possible before that happened. lol
Haha, I understand your logic.

Actually, I’m more interested in putting things in balance than I am get a poke in…… ?

I was thinking maybe, see how much interest there would be with a bounty of $250 to $300 per cougar. If people will hunt coyotes and bobcats for that or less, seems some of them would target cougars as well. Some of these predator hunters are stone cold thumpers. If there was a reasonable incentive, I think they would do much good.

That'd Be Fine Lumpy But I Don't Think I'm Gonna Live Long Enough To See It!

You Ever Get To Thinking Like That/Me?
Everyday brother, many times a day, now days. I hate what we are leaving future generations of hunters. Makes me very sad.

I Had About 15 to 18 Head On The Back Lawn When I Got Home!

That PISSCUTTER 4 Isn't Even Tempting!

If You Had 3 Lions On Your Lawn What Would You Do?
There’s four young bucks in the yard tonight. About a dozen does and fawns. Rut could bring a few more into the apple trees and alfalfa field. They are safe as long as they say in the yard. I don’t shoot hunt my pets but have no quarrel with others that do. Just wish they let them live for a couple more years. So much more interesting to watch.

1541004D-226A-474F-87A6-4B072A86A18E.jpeg
D99B4D6B-7509-4909-B244-0EC78B5B71F7.jpeg
72322B04-A161-4DB0-B408-6AC2343410D4.jpeg
CAC199DE-E743-4F53-9CEF-385BE5B3D849.jpeg

I talked to a guy that hunted one of the southern Utah general units. he said he ran into a couple guys that work for the division, and they told him that they had collared a hand full of does in that area and they where all killed by lions. I hunted the same area last year and 90 percent of the deer tracks I seen had a lion track on top of them. Very few houndsmen go into that country to remount not enough roads ride and to many cliffs from what I have been told. Been thinking of going and giving calling one or two in a try.

I talked to a guy that hunted one of the southern Utah general units. he said he ran into a couple guys that work for the division, and they told him that they had collared a hand full of does in that area and they where all killed by lions. I hunted the same area last year and 90 percent of the deer tracks I seen had a lion track on top of them. Very few houndsmen go into that country to remount not enough roads ride and to many cliffs from what I have been told. Been thinking of going and giving calling one or two in a try.

Take a coyote/bobcat trapper with you, he’ll teach you how to catch cougars. Seriously. It’s a common occurrence these days, in the right environment.

Take a coyote/bobcat trapper with you, he’ll teach you how to catch cougars. Seriously. It’s a common occurrence these days, in the right environment.
I am a trapper and have always wanted to trap a lion. Caught a few through the years never in the traps when we get there just a toe and a claw to small of a trap. But it being a half a day drive and with a 48 hr. trap check law not so easy thing to do. trappers are a dying breed and that's coming from a 3rd-4th generation trapper. Been trying to pass it on to my son but with a full time 10-12 hr. day job its hard even around home with that 48 check law , guess its 96 hrs. if you use snares "kill traps" but still.

I am a trapper and have always wanted to trap a lion. Caught a few through the years never in the traps when we get there just a toe and a claw to small of a trap. But it being a half a day drive and with a 48 hr. trap check law not so easy thing to do. trappers are a dying breed and that's coming from a 3rd-4th generation trapper. Been trying to pass it on to my son but with a full time 10-12 hr. day job its hard even around home with that 48 check law , guess its 96 hrs. if you use snares "kill traps" but still.
I do understand. I’m just beat the drum every chance I get, to encourage folk to help get our lion population in balance with it’s prey base.

Bingo. The logical way to restore balance would be to put the mule deer guys in charge of the lions to screw them up too.

The quickest way would be to let the outfitters run unregulated lion hunts. They could make a fortune the first year until they killed everything.

See, there are options :) Just don’t let knuckleheads vote on it.

Last edited:
They kill more than just deer a 130-160lb cat will take down a mature bull elk trust me I know this for a fact, and it only takes about 2 to 2 1/2 years for that cat to get those sizes if food is plentiful. I wish more people/hunters would do their part with all predators every year if you're not doing your part.
"Shame On You"

Cats are killing machines!!!! As others have said they kill around 50 animals per cat per year. I have at least 5 around my house right now which I have been looking for daily since Dec 1st.
Do the math on that..I have watched my local herds get absolutely decimated over the last few years.There have always been cats in my area but they are getting out of control due to lack of participation.
I hunt them every year on the 1 tag my state will hand me if I could get more I would.

My houndsman do their training in the off season we chase to kill during season, not all houndsman are the same so find yourself a good one.

And to those who think they don't hunt in packs and are solitary creatures you would be wrong about that as well.
4 lions on my trail cam 1 week before season ended last April.
We where unable to get just 1 so there goes another 130 animals or so since then..🤬🤬🤬

Well enough of my rant today time to get dress and go look for tracks I suggest you do the same.
Image-1.jpeg

They kill more than just deer a 130-160lb cat will take down a mature bull elk trust me I know this for a fact, and it only takes about 2 to 2 1/2 years for that cat to get those sizes if food is plentiful. I wish more people/hunters would do their part with all predators every year if you're not doing your part.
"Shame On You"

Cats are killing machines!!!! As others have said they kill around 50 animals per cat per year. I have at least 5 around my house right now which I have been looking for daily since Dec 1st.
Do the math on that..I have watched my local herds get absolutely decimated over the last few years.There have always been cats in my area but they are getting out of control due to lack of participation.
I hunt them every year on the 1 tag my state will hand me if I could get more I would.

My houndsman do their training in the off season we chase to kill during season, not all houndsman are the same so find yourself a good one.

And to those who think they don't hunt in packs and are solitary creatures you would be wrong about that as well.
We where unable to get just 1 so there goes another 130 animals or so since then..🤬🤬🤬

Well enough of my rant today time to get dress and go look for tracks I suggest you do the same.
View attachment 129046
😂

Are Houndsmen an anti-hunting group? It's no mystery they want the same thing. Both houndsmen and california libtards want more lions, which equates to less deer and elk.

The houndsmen I know don’t necessarily love lions. They just want more mature toms. They understand that the sacrifice they make is to not shoot does…..oops I mean lionesses.

That sounds familiar, butt i just can’t put my finger in it.

Are Houndsmen an anti-hunting group? It's no mystery they want the same thing. Both houndsmen and california libtards want more lions, which equates to less deer and elk.
Funny you think houndsman are libtards because they want the resource (lions) managed properly.

This
"Shame On You"

View attachment 129046
This is why our deer population is hurting. Guys like BridgerMT building their houses on winter range.

You haven't had any P****** since you fell out of one.

This place has been here since 1946 and the homestead in the front yard at lot longer that.

As far as the Taxidermist work you already know the answer to that since you have commented on my other lion mounts.

But you keep pumping up those post #'s there SS reply's 4 times in 7 minutes..But can't put them all in one post just like every other Thread you troll..

Hey Lopez last thing I heard Texas had to remove all that razor wire do us all a favor and go walk your A** back across that Rio Grande would ya. Your F+++ing up my mile.
Doesn’t matter how long it’s been there, building on winter range!

What’s your opinion on the war on cats? Should we kill them all?

Now that there are no tag quotas to fill in Utah, does anyone but houndsmen actually believe cat numbers will decline? I've seen 2 different posts on social media where a lion was trapped, and the houndsmen pounced like snowflake blue-hairs on Trump. The crap that was being said was worse than anything SS has ever said on MM. I'm not buying it for a second that our lion population will decline the way houndsmen think it will. Honestly, I expect it backfire and rise.

A BIG Tom Is As Rare As A BIG Buck In This State!

Half The Pick-Ups In The Basin Now Have Dog Boxes In The Back Of Them!

When They Parade A 60Lb Female Around Town Like It's Some Kinda Trophy & Act Like Some Kinda GAWD To The Hounding Hunting It's Quite A Disgrace When Some Punk-Ass Thinks He's Really Done It!

Zero. I’ve told you I’ve never seen a live cat in the wild. Ever. But one day I might, and that makes me glad I have a lifetime cougar permit!

Oh no, muzzy scopes, cats, and LLs in one thread? Bessy bout to go ballistic! All right before Christmas. Sorry my friend.

Notta!

Not Going Ballistic!

And You Probably Wouldn't Wanna See Me Go That Way!

Zero. I’ve told you I’ve never seen a live cat in the wild. Ever. But one day I might, and that makes me glad I have a lifetime cougar permit!

Oh no, muzzy scopes, cats, and LLs in one thread? Bessy bout to go ballistic! All right before Christmas. Sorry my friend.

That sucks you’ve never seen one in the wild. Hope you do one day!

I Hope You Find A Kitty To Shoot Niller!

They Usually Don't FRICK Around Like The PISSCUTTERS You Hunt Though!

There Are Exceptions To That Rule But It Doesn't Happen Often!

With As Many As you Think There Are You Just Need To Start Paying More Attention While You're In The Woods!

A HINT For You Though!

If Mr. Kitty Decided To Take You,You'd Probably Never Know It Until It Was Too Late!

Question For You Though Niller?

A Year or Two Ago,The Guy Up In Idaho I Believe Run In To A STUPID Kitty,He Shot At It A Couple Times As It Was Coming Towards Him But He Never Hit It?

How Many Warning Shots Are you Gonna Give A Kitty?:D

Now I Don't Know Why An Idaho Elk Hunter Was Hunting With That Gun,Maybe He Had A Rifle As Well,I Don't Know?

Don’t spend too much time hoping for my shooting a kitty, bessy. I’ve got the same amount of cougar points as I have desire to hunt them, which is zero.

If one presented a shot while out hunting I might take it. The chances of that are extremely low, so rest those wet eyes of yours on this one.

If only I had a NF scope on my rig…then I’d see the cats!

Well!

If I'd Of had A NF On My SmokePole Like You Think I Have, I Mighta Seen Some Better Bucks The Last Few Years!

Don’t spend too much time hoping for my shooting a kitty, bessy. I’ve got the same amount of cougar points as I have desire to hunt them, which is zero.

If one presented a shot while out hunting I might take it. The chances of that are extremely low, so rest those wet eyes of yours on this one.

If only I had a NF scope on my rig…then I’d see the cats!

If anyone would like an easy find for lions in southeast Idaho, I can direct you to it. Used to take first-timers there, but the cats have decimated the area of deer.

If you are interested, I'll PM the info. No outfitters please.

If anyone would like an easy find for lions in southeast Idaho, I can direct you to it. Used to take first-timers there, but the cats have decimated the area of deer.

If you are interested, I'll PM the info. No outfitters please.
My Brother had a sheep tag for southwest Idaho this fall. He watched lions push deer and sheep around on 3 different occasions. His guide said hardly anyone will hunt them out there due to the ruggedness and how far it is from any civilization.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom