how affective are antelope calls?

K

kennyazman

I'm curious if calling in a buck antelope during the rut is as affective as calling in a bull elk during the rut. Also it is my understanding that antelope rut from the middle of august through september. Is this correct?

if your archery hunting i would buy a decoy. try and sneak within 120 and put the decoy up and get ready, antelope are very territorial.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-08 AT 06:21PM (MST)[p]I tried the Primos buster call multiple times on my hunt. It seemd to get their attention, but definitely never brought anything in. However, I was using it in AZ, where in my opinion our antelope are sometimes more wild and weary. I don't have any faith in calling antelope in AZ, although its cheap enough to buy it and try it.

I tried the montana decoy and it worked twice of the multiple times I tried it. I was archery hunting, so the decoy still never gave me a good shot because the buck was too far, but almost. I tried the call with the decoy, and the call didn't seem to make a difference.

Once they slowly worked away from the decoy, but kept looking back at the location. Most of the time the decoy just alerted the antelope to my location, while they kept their eyes out on the decoy and surrounding areas more of the time than usual, making it difficult for a stalk later. Sometimes, I should have never put that decoy up, so choose wisely when to use it.

Well I will be in az as well, so maybe I won't use them, however mine is the rifle hunt not archery so I'll probably be fine.

I have used the Primos antelope call, a decoy, and call and decoy on a CO archery hunt. I did not have much luck with decoy, but I did call one buck within 40 yards without decoy--it can work. I used the Primos cassette tape to learn calls. Problem is that he was looking right at me the whole time.

Most of the other archery hunters were apparently using ground blinds on water holes, I just don't have patience for that sort of thing.

I watched some guys use the call and get a buck and a handful of does within probably 60-70 yards during the muzzleloader hunt years ago. He missed, blew the call, they came back, he missed............this happened 3 times. So I guess like anything, under the right conditions.

I tried it and it never worked for me a couple years later on a archery hunt. All this took place in AZ, and I gotta agree, I think our antelope are a little more flighty than in other states.

Is that ethical?

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom