How big of an area??

southslope82

I am wondering how big of an area does a guy need to have to do taxidermy work? I have got a shed/shop building that I am currently building right now thats about 12'x 16' of insulated enclosed area. It has a sloped roof from 11 feet down to about 7 feet for the ceiling. Is that enough room to work on like shoulder mounts for Elk, Moose and even some life size mounts like goats or lions or whatever or a little small? I have pretty limited space for my situation right now and want to get set up enough so that I can have a place to get to work when I get back from Taxidermy School. Thanks

My taxi's shop is about 30' by 50', and its full. You'll need room for a couple freezers, a wall for finished heads waiting to dry or be picked up. A couple tables for tools and working. A place to store horns and anlers. A place for supplies, forms, stands. An area for skinning, caping, and scraping hides.

In short, theres no such thing as too big.

Yelum

I started out with a 12x14 that I built in 1995. I had a bench on one wall, an antler rack across the rafters, storage under the bench, salted hides in one corner, drying heads on the walls, and room to mount Lions, elk, moose, and your normal North American stuff.
I took in 35 animals my first season. It was cozy, but was adequate for the amount of work I had to do. I did have to dry a few of the animals in my house to keep things going at times, but it worked fine. I'll see if I can find a photo of the old place and show you what it looked like.

Now I am in a brand new 40'x80' with 16' ceilings and it is full from top to bottom. Seems like you can fill any place if you produce the type of results people want.

Might find a photo of the new shop too if I have time today.

DBD

I've been in Travis' old shop and understand why he build the new one. It was packed.

His new one is full because he does great work.

Yelum

Yelum, thanks for the compliment. You got to see the second shop. I started in Cedar City in a 12'x16' that my brother and I built. It was pretty humble beginnings, but it gave me the opportunity to build a business.

I'll put a photo or two on here in a minute of the first one. It was pretty dinky, but it seemed alright at the time. Sure hate to be working out of it now though!

DBD

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-09 AT 05:39PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/4a285a4a743079d5.jpg

This is where it all started for me in 1995. Took me two years to be able to go full time all year. Been at it ever since.
Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking!

DBD

thats a sweet picture I wish I would have taken pictures of the place I started in. It was about 12 by 20 feet with some shelves in the back. It didn't have insulation and it was colder than heck in Logan Utah in the winter had to bring the heads into the house or they would freeze at night. LOL!! What a joke but I guess you have to start somewhere Im in a 40x40 footer now in Southern NM and wish it was twice that size.

Thanks again for the pic that is awesome!!

Jordan

DBD
Ya I had no idea you started in CC. COOL pic. I like the display wall. If I ever make it down there, I'd love to see the new shop.

Yelum

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom