How do you apply as a guided hunt?

cantkillathing

Very Active Member
I have never applied for a hunt in NM but I see that if you use a guide you have a better chance to draw, so how do you apply for a hunt using a guide, is there anyone out there that will charge you a fee and just let you apply for the tag and go unguided?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-10 AT 03:11PM (MST)[p]Sure, the fee is usually serveral thousand dollars and then they will want to hunt with you and expect tips too.

If you want to go unguided NR, they have a pool for that, apply in that pool. To apply with a guide you are supposed to have a signed contract with said guide and they will give you their number to use on the application.

You could look for a unguided private land hunt and buy the LO tag and not draw as another option.

Reducing nature's carbon footprint one bullet at a time!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-10 AT 03:21PM (MST)[p]Semi-guided or a drop camp,still have to pay the outfitter. It's actually a good choice. Contact J Wells,Rockin9858, or any one of the many quality outfitters here. They should be able to set you up.

You can go self guided with an outfitter. Essentially you are doing a drop camp and bringing your own camp. You will need a signed contact specifying the services provided by the outfitter. When you apply online you check the box for a guided hunt then fill in the outfitters number in the space provided. You will be provided the number from the outfitter after contracts are signed.
I use Jim Welles, jfwrc on here and other forums. There are others, I have used Reyne Roman at elkguydes also.

JFWRC provides fully outfitted hunts on both private and public lands, guided hunts on both private and public lands, and DIY-WHFF hunts on both private and public lands. Our mission is to provide you with the best NM hunting experience of your lifetime.

Our DIY-WHFF program IS NOT just a means to gain opportunity at better draw odds. We provide NR hunters with solid information on what to hunt, where to hunt, complete understanding of the draw process, consultation on how to apply, LAWS and REGS on each hunt type (stamps required),LAWS and REGS on ATV use, complete logistics on the hunt unit you draw including where to find lodging, fuel, groceries, maps of where to hunt in the unit, and most importantly, in my opinion, A SAFETY NET in case of an emergency. We require you to contact us daily to assure you are safe and assure reasonable supervision over the hunt. If there is an emergency, we are on the job to get help immediately.

Experience levels of hunters vary across the board. We want to be able to provide complete services based on WHAT YOU NEED AND WANT. Coming from out of state into a new hunting environment is very complicated and NM rules and regs are not simple, even for residents that should know how to play the game.

Right now this type of service is under attack by some died in the wool outfitters that believe "you must hunt with a guide on the ground in NM." Personally, we do not understand why they can't see that the world has changed with technology and not everyone needs or wants this "type" of outfitting. We see the DIY-WHFF as a form of guided hunt. Its just more virtual in nature and demand is certainly there for this type of hunting service. Again, we do provide fully outfitted and guided hunts and yes they tend to have better success rates. However, many folks get more satisfaction by getting their buck or bull on the own. We just want provide all the tools necessary to help gain that satisfaction.

As a NR hunter wanting to come to NM, if you see this type of "Outfitter Service" as viable and would like to see it remain as an option, please contact the Law Enforcement Division IMMEDIATELY at Game and Fish (505)-476-8066 and let them know your thoughts.

Cantkillathing-We hope this helps with your original question.

Jim
www.newmexicobiggamehunting.com

The DIY-WHFF option JFWRC fit perfectly into the type of NR hunt I was looking for last year. I would highly recommend Jim as an outfitter and will certainly be calling to show support for this option as a NR outfitted hunter.

JFWRC , great information . I really like your website . I will be contacting you also in regards to a DIY type hunt .

You should write the new governor to encourage her to clean house with the game commission and to fix this "guided" non-residence application joke!

JFWRC---That sounds like a very good deal and the way I would like to hunt on my own in NM, but with a minimum of help from an outfitter to get everything into and out of a good area. I'm a very healthy 63 and can do the hunting part all day with the younger guys, but it's the getting everything in and out of a good area to do the hunt that's starting to get awful tough! I hope our calls to the people out there will do some good and convince them to keep things as you describe! I have a friend in Los Lunas, but I'm way up in MI and would like to come back down to NM soon after hunting with him down in the Gila for mulies on a DIY this past October. It was the first time I had been down there since I was in the Army in the late 60s at Fort Bliss and we went up in the Gila on fishing trips a couple times. New Mexico is a great and beautiful state for the hunter!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom