How do you clean flash holes?

blacktailBC

After my very first muzzleloading range session, I have a question.....What do you guys use to clean out the flash hole in your breech plug? I am thinking maybe a small pipe cleaner?

Thanks

I don't have trouble with the hole at all. I use Pyrodex P and I just don't see any problems with hang fire. pipe cleaners might not go through. You can use a torch cleaner, they work very well. Ron

Thanks for the replys. I guess I will have to clarify. The flash hole is not plugged up, the gun fired fine. (T/C Triumph). But when I got home you could see crud built up in the flash hole avenue (for lack of a better word) that goes from the primer pocket to the end of the plug. Do you guys not worry about cleaning them? This is a removeable plug. Also, triple 7 powder with remington primers.

Thanks,
Buck

When I clean the gun in general, I just scrape the flash hole with a sharp tool. Either a large needle or a mini eyeglass screwdriver depending on the particular gun. I've yet to find a pipe brush that small with bristles stiff enough, but that might be an option.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom