How far do you go?

NVMDF

I was just interested to know, how far do you guys
travel to find sheds? Do many of you guys do much out
of your home states? Do any of you guys get out to NV.

NVMDF

I typically travel less than 200 miles one way to collect sheds.

I've never been out of state to collect bones, but I'm considering a trip this spring.

berto

The farthest I have ever traveled to pick up bones is just over 800 miles round trip. That includes a little driving around while we were shed hunting/videoing. The worst part about it is that we have made that trip 7 times now since last November. Thank goodness gas is so cheap and my truck gets such good gas mileage. Ya right. Oh my aching wallet!

NvrEnuf -- No seriously! It's NvrEnuf!

Just finished an 1800 mile round trip from Northern CA to the Arizona Strip. Had a wonderful time and picked up some tine. Weather was pretty nasty (snow) and roads were slicker than 773H. Didn't see alot of deer but saw a ton of predator sign!!

Dang thats some dedication boys. I am surrounded by areas that have sheds(within 2 miles)however I get pissed & return home when I show up & see the hills swarming with shed hunters like ants on a dead insect. I guess if I had traveled that far I would be more likely to suck it up & start hikeing.

As far as deer sheds go I usually travel about fifty miles away. Elk I've found from as close as the mountain behind my home to far southern Ut. I have never made it into NV., and if I ever get that addicted my wife would probably leave me.

UtahShed

well i some times go up into idaho about 2 hour drive from me to look for deer sheds mainly. The deer in the area are heavy mass and we've found some big ones in past. It is an area were my cousin used to live. I am planning a trip into nevada with my bro. and cousin. My bro lives in nevada so i'll be hooking up with him.

I usually drive 40 minutes, then hike 2 hrs to starting point, look for one hour, run down hill to jeep for 45 minutes, then drive home for 40 minutes. It takes up a lot of time traveling to only look 1 hour. The past 3 years follow the same pattern. Some year I will have more time. I usually only can make it out about 5 times each year. I do know some great spots about 4 hours away but never seem to make it.

I recently traveled to Montana from Washington to pick up elk sheds. Around 1500 miles round trip. Well worth the trip. I saw nothing but bulls, found four big sheds and felt like I went home again. I had more fun this spring in Montana than I've had elk hunting in Montana the past few years.

99% of my shed hunting is done between 2-40 minutes from my house. I have been taking the family camping to some areas that are 2-4 hours from home and I shed hunt around where we camp.

MOOSEMAN,
What area does your brother live in? What area will you be
shed hunting in? I won't tell you were the "G-SPOT" is, but
I may be able to help you out a little.

NVMDF

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-03 AT 09:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-03 AT 09:02?PM (MST)

NVMDF
my bro lives in reno area but will be up closer to the utah and idaho. my brother shot a pretty decend elk in this area and we were told that the elk we were seeing winter in the area as well. I only really got out and hiked a bit one day and found an old 4 point deer shed but i was only able to hunt two days with him. the first day was spent mostly spotting and boy did we see a lot of bulls, some busted and a lot in the smaller size catagory. it was fun though. if you want to e-mail me my address is [email protected]

I have gone from Fresno CA to N. AZ/Southern UT a few times (just got back from there yesterday),but most of my shed hunting is around home.

I would like to do a shed trip to SW Wyoming in the next couple years.And maybe a trip to N. NM also.

It's the next best thing to hunting!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom