How long do yhou leave a charge in a muzzleloader when hunting?

BeDawg

I am new to muzzleloading and bought a TC Bone Collector .50 Cal. How long can you leave a charge in this rifle before replacing it? Do you have to replace the charge daily/weekly? I am also wondering if it rains on me while hunting do you replace everything? Also, is it not wise to hunt during the rain.

Thanks for your help, don't want to blow a good shot!

It will depend on the powder you are using, if your using pyrodex or something similar I would replace the load every other day. If your using BH 209 you will be good to go for 5 days. If hunting in the rain change your load after each hunt probably twice daily.

I am not sure what kind of breech the bone collector has, but if it is similar to the Omega, it is pretty water tight. Add a "muzzle mitt" to the front of the barrel and you are good in the rain. I still protect the breech as much as possible and don't point the barrel up in a rainshower, but have never had a problem with rain moisture. Of course, protecting the metal parts of the gun from rust is of concern, so you do need to dry/lightly oil exposed metal often.

The soonest I have ever changed a charge, even in rain, is about ever 2 days unless I think something unusual happened to let moisture in. In dry conditions, I have hunted all week without a change, then fired it off with no problems.

http://www.octobercountry.com/products/Muzzle-Mitts.html

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom