how long does venison last?

rookieray

I took some venison steaks out of the freezer and put them into the fridge to defrost and then forgot about them. This Monday when I remembered them it had already been a week since they had been in the fridge. I took them out and looked them over and they didnt look green or smell so I put them in a marinade and now it is Friday. So should I eat them tonight or should I not risk it. I hate to waste them because they are soooo good, but they are not worth getting food poisoning. What do you guys think?

Smell them. Only bad thing is the marinade might disguise a bad smell. I would cook them and taste to confirm.I would hate to trhow them out as well.

Do you always marinate venison for a week?

beavis.gif

They sat for a week before I marinaded them, I put them in marinade monday night, so they have only been marinading for three and a half days. So I should be able to taste something off if they are bad?

What is in the marinade?
Do you have any acid such as lemon juice, red wine vinegar, or the like in the marinade? If so, how much?

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

I think there is 1 table spoon of vinegar. The rest of the ingredients are soy sauce, olive oil, liquid smoke, garlic etc.

Once its cooked in my house about half an hour.

Just kidding. You can age venison for a long time. Just cut any bad stuff from the edges and it will be oh so good.

LAST EDITED ON May-12-06 AT 03:10PM (MST)[p]As long as proper field care was taken and the venison was frozen at a reasonable time after the kill, you should be okay.

Especially considering that the meat was not slimey and had no offensive odor to it before the marination. It might actually be the best aged venison you have had yet!

Chef

I have had it in fridge for up to ten days and was still as good as using it in two days. If it smeeled ok before the juice was put on it should be ok. You will know after the first bite.

Chasing the bites with Crown Royal helps too.

happychef.jpg

Chef

You are more in danger from hanging your meat to age it, before cutting and wrapping, than you are from leaving it in the fridge too long. Numerous world-class wild game chefs advocate aging the meat properly for 7-10 days in a 42 degree refrigerator, prior to cooking. Only marinate for 24 hours, prior to cooking.

It should be alright. But if we don't hear from you in a couple days, we'll know we were wrong!:)

Steve

Thanks for the info guys.

eelgrass,
you had me laughing man.

Well I hope all you guys are right, because the deed has already been done. So far no ill effects. I gave some to my wife first just to make sure it was ok :) But really it tasted great, I am wishing I would have defrosted more.

give the dogs taste test........ never mine not a good idea.......as I see my dog licking his ARSE!
RM

IF YOU TOOK IT OUT OF THE FREEZER & PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE I'LL BET IT WAS 2 OR 3 DAYS BEFORE IT EVEN UNTHAWED!!!

I'VE SEEN BASINITES HANG DEER MEAT IN THE EARLY FALL IN WARM WEATHER UP TO 2 MONTHS!!!

NOW I'M NOT SAYING ITS A GOOD PRACTICE!!!

BUT I HAVEN'T HEARD OF ANY BASINITES DIEING!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT,YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!!

"IF YOU TOOK IT OUT OF THE FREEZER & PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE I'LL BET IT WAS 2 OR 3 DAYS BEFORE IT EVEN UNTHAWED!!!"

It was probably "UNTHAWED" while still in the freezer! I'm sure it stayed "UNTHAWED" for a 2 or 3 days until it finally THAWED.

Just messin with ya!

I use the frig to age my deer. It is the only controlled temp area I have to do this. I'll put a whole frozen quarter or a large boned out meat bag full over a large pan. I may leave it in there for 10 days or more. It takes many days to even thaw out. I punch some holes in the bottom of the bag and let it drain into the large pan as it thaws. I read about this in a magazine and the article was written a well know wild game chef with books on the topic. I can't remember his name or I would give him due credit.

----------------------------------------
Measure wealth by the things you have,, for which you would not take money.

That spails a lot about old bobkitty. He has probably been chewin on 2 month old "unthawed" deer meat a little too oft.
Probably made his brain think that CAPS is really normal typin. Just funnin with ya, bobbycat.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom