How long is too long? Taxidermist scam

Handloader

How many years with no progress update until something needs to be done? What can be done? Fish and game, police? Approaching 4 years now with the same excuses.

I usually don't go longer than 18 months for a shoulder mount or 8-10 weeks for a European mount.

I think you're hosed. I took a bobcat to a guy, I don't even recall the year, I'd guess about 2005. Nothing.
On the bright side, that was the smallest and least expensive of all that I've had mounted.
Had a bison done a couple years ago. Took just under a year.

Put him on blast!... post the name to see if there are others on here who are sharing a boat with you.
The longest I have ever had to wait for anything is 15 months, and that was communicated with me when I dropped it off.
Did you give a deposit?
How many years with no progress update until something needs to be done? What can be done? Fish and game, police? Approaching 4 years now with the same excuses.

Sorry to hear about it. Pay him a visit and get your antlers back. I wouldn't count on getting your cape back. And do your best to be a good boy. It ain't worth getting arrested for assault.

Just to give yall a heads up there will probably be a spike in the next year of taxidermists going out of business. This industry was effected very negatively by covid and then many taxidermists did not adjust their pricing properly in a period of extremely high inflation within our industry.

Good luck to the original poster I hope it all works out for him.

Just to give yall a heads up there will probably be a spike in the next year of taxidermists going out of business. This industry was effected very negatively by covid and then many taxidermists did not adjust their pricing properly in a period of extremely high inflation within our industry.

Good luck to the original poster I hope it all works out for him.
Tristate.. Have a question.. Do you think it'll be the bigger shops that go under or the smaller guys who work out of there homes that bite the dust???

Tristate.. Have a question.. Do you think it'll be the bigger shops that go under or the smaller guys who work out of there homes that bite the dust???
It's going to be a mix. Shops with debt are at high risk. Shops with high credit card debt are the most at risk.

There were plenty of big Shops that were engaging in price wars during covid for north American game. This was a result of international trophies being shut down. When you are in the middle of price wars and the highest inflation rates in 40 years hits it turns into a game of chicken between businesses. You better have a very firm grasp of what your costs look like on paper to adjust your pricing to maintain a margin. It's been tough.

Thank you...so the average price in my area for a antelope or deer shoulder mount range from 700.00 to 850.00 do you see these prices going up in the near future (again)

Some seem to spend more time on here than doing taxidermy work. maybe thats why some are behind

first have you made a deposit? And have you paid anything else on it? Have you gone by to see whats going on.
Second if you have done all the above just get your $ back and your animal and move on,

Thats about all you can do, find a different Taxi and ask Questions get involved with them. My Taxidermists are my friends, but I don't let them push me around.

Alot of these posts about shady business practices are one reason I decided to pursue taxidermy as a business. It's a fact, MOST taxidermists are bad at business. I have been involved in the industry for 15 years. Member or many state taxidermy associations. I feel most of the problems like when someone starts taking in too much work as a hobbiest. They don't rely on mounts to pay the bills, they likely have a career. When they live a little high on the hog while sitting on deposits then can't pay for tanning or supplies. Then their hobby becomes a burden and it's easier to ghost everyone. I am with Tri that most don't even know what profit margins are. Any full time taxidermist should know exactly how much work they can actually accomplish per work week, most don't. It's not a good plan to live off customer deposits to live on. Any reputable Taxidermy shop will require a deposit. Hope much deposit depends. I like to get 1/3 of the mount costs. This covers your mount costs. Then when you get the mount undone you can pay your salaries, utilities, taxes etc. Yes unfortunately prices will go up just to counter th crazy inflation. Shipping rates are all ready super volatile add to the mix yellow freight filing bankruptcy. Ltl shipping costs just rose because of that. It's too bad a few bad apple ruin the pie. Sorry I am all over the place. I never claimed to be a writer or English major.

Yes deposit paid, almost 50%… I heard that he moved so no, have not gone by.
first have you made a deposit? And have you paid anything else on it? Have you gone by to see whats going on.
Second if you have done all the above just get your $ back and your animal and move on,

Thats about all you can do, find a different Taxi and ask Questions get involved with them. My Taxidermists are my friends, but I don't let them push me around.

Granted not everyone is Uttaxi1 or my guy Dave.

I get updates about every 3 months and I'm getting my Full Body Mount British Columbia mounts (4) and my Utah Bobcat back this coming week.

Right in that year-to-date mark as I paid 50% down and got a 12 month C/D deposit for the other 50% @ 4.37% interest.

Robb

Last edited:
I never leave antlers, horns, or anything else sacred with any taxidermists and I have one I really trust. Too much can go wrong. I could still lose a cape but at least I wont lose everything. I have them call when the cape is tanned and they have the form ready with the expectation of a two-week turn around before I drop off the headgear.-------SS

I never leave antlers, horns, or anything else sacred with any taxidermists and I have one I really trust. Too much can go wrong. I could still lose a cape but at least I wont lose everything. I have them call when the cape is tanned and they have the form ready with the expectation of a two-week turn around before I drop off the headgear.-------SS
I actually prefer clients take racks with them. The exception is horned animals and velvet racks that need treated.

I like to Euro the head while I wait for the taxi to get the cape back. Some of the heads I wish I'd have kept the euro instead of the skin mount even though the taxidermist did a great job. Just like the euro look better in certain cases. That said, I did wait three years for a mount one time. Finally started calling the guy every Monday morning quizzing him about when it would be done.
Squeaky wheel thing, and it worked.

It's shocking how many issue's there are with Taxidermist. I always wondered why. It's good to get a little insight as to why so many are shady. I think most of us have a story to tell.

I harvested an antelope in Eastern Oregon 20 years ago. A taxidermist from western Oregon setup in the small town we were staying. I talked to him and he had a nice brochure and said that if we got a antelope he work skin and cape it and get the meat in a cold box for us. After I got my antelope I took it too him and he said that he would have the mount done in 6 months and ship it to me, About 10 months went by and I had heard nothing so I called him....tons of excuses and he said he would get on it. 4 months later still nothing and he quit answering the phone. I decided to call the local sheriff's office where he lived and told them the story and they tracked him down and I had my mount 2 months later after a 20 month wait.

This. If I ever kill my dream 200” mule deer no way that rack is sitting at a taxidermist shop for a year or 2.

It's a challenge for taxidermist today. A great friend of mine a straight up man does all my mounts. He is fighting the tanners, the manufacturers of eyes everything he needs to complete the mount is Hard to get. Thanks Bidenomics. These Animal Art guys are fighting an uphill battle to get 1 year turn around as hard as they try. It's unacceptable for 4-5 years waiting. Got your antlers and do a euro !!

It's not a challenge to get the necessary supplies. It just takes planning. I try to keep at least 2 months worth of forms on hand so I always have something to do. There have been a few challenges in the past few years but a lot of things have corrected. The biggest issue lately was the closure of the top premier eye manufacturer. I think they will be back in production under new ownership soon. As far a tanning goes. I just received notification that my dry tanned bear hides were ready to ship. These were sent less than 3 months ago. I still wet tan my hides for shoulder mounts, I like my system and that is what works for me. But most of my clients hides are tanned within a month of them arriving at the shop.

It's not a challenge to get the necessary supplies. It just takes planning. I try to keep at least 2 months worth of forms on hand so I always have something to do. There have been a few challenges in the past few years but a lot of things have corrected. The biggest issue lately was the closure of the top premier eye manufacturer. I think they will be back in production under new ownership soon. As far a tanning goes. I just received notification that my dry tanned bear hides were ready to ship. These were sent less than 3 months ago. I still wet tan my hides for shoulder mounts, I like my system and that is what works for me. But most of my clients hides are tanned within a month of them arriving at the shop.
Each business has its own challenges and the supply challenges can hit when you don't expect it.

For instance the body filler I used stopped manufacturing the type I use and began producing a different type. It costs %150 more. I have been trying to sort out a replacement for a week.

As for getting forms we do a high amount of lifesize mounts. We order almost all our forms custom poured without rods. That used to be a one week delay. Right now it seems to be about a 6-8 week delay. Hell, in 2022 there were forms I ordered and didn't receive for 5 months.

For leather tanning we used Specialty Leather. They folded almost 2 years ago. There is no one offering the services they did. I am still trying to find a comparable solution.

Fiberglass shortages, eye shortages, urethane shortages, and even paint shortages. I literally got the first bottle of Tie in Brown I have received in over 3 years. We have been finding solutions to these problems and making plans and deals. But I would be a liar if I told you it hasn't compromised both our efficiency and quality of product at times.

I
Each business has its own challenges and the supply challenges can hit when you don't expect it.

For instance the body filler I used stopped manufacturing the type I use and began producing a different type. It costs %150 more. I have been trying to sort out a replacement for a week.

As for getting forms we do a high amount of lifesize mounts. We order almost all our forms custom poured without rods. That used to be a one week delay. Right now it seems to be about a 6-8 week delay. Hell, in 2022 there were forms I ordered and didn't receive for 5 months.

For leather tanning we used Specialty Leather. They folded almost 2 years ago. There is no one offering the services they did. I am still trying to find a comparable solution.

Fiberglass shortages, eye shortages, urethane shortages, and even paint shortages. I literally got the first bottle of Tie in Brown I have received in over 3 years. We have been finding solutions to these problems and making plans and deals. But I would be a liar if I told you it hasn't compromised both our efficiency and quality of product at times.
I hear you on the Bondo prices. It definitely does slow down production trying to figure out alternatives.

This is interesting ...post (50-52) I think it's good we as hunters hear some of the challenges and problems our taxidermist have to go through to produce our coveted trophies kudos to uttaxi1 and tristate

Delays that are out of a taxidermist’s (or anyone else’s, for that matter) control are forgivable, but the taxidermist should be communicating that to a client.

Set proper expectations at the beginning, and if something happens, make it clear there is a delay and why.

Just ghosting someone once that happens is not only unethical, depending on what one’s been paid to do at that point, it might be a crime.

The BULLSSHITT That Goes On Since The COVID BS Hit Has Effected Everybody!

This JOKER That Calls Himself President Is A Real F'N Dandy!

It Has Cost All Of Us!
So exhausting that it always goes here. A lot of taxidermists have been shady well before the current administration, I haven’t noticed any more or less in the last few years. I’m no fan of the current administration but Covid protocols have continued to lessen since he took office.

So exhausting that it always goes here. A lot of taxidermists have been shady well before the current administration, I haven’t noticed any more or less in the last few years. I’m no fan of the current administration but Covid protocols have continued to lessen since he took office.
Honestly it has very little to do with Biden. We are a world economy. Covid protocols and shutdowns and social drama is occurring all over the world and I have to buy parts, and chemicals from those places. Plus we are subject to government regulatory agencies which have basically ceased to function anymore. It doesn't matter that the protocols are gone because the employees have just decided they don't have to perform at their jobs anymore.

The whole damn thing is broke and I'm not to sure if it will ever function again. I honestly think you will see people who want to survive these times are or will begin to pay out bribes and payoffs so their companies can survive. It will become so normal they will build it into their business models.

Spun just perfectly by the left.....you know the FDA just approved a new COVID booster, right? It'll be a money maker for the next 25 years or at least until Gen Z realizes its a scam at this point.
For sure I mean look how long the dems have been cashing in on the polio vaccination, like 70+ years. All those people in the 1940s and 50s faking it in wheelchairs saying they had polio. Tools of the left.

For sure I mean look how long the dems have been cashing in on the polio vaccination, like 70+ years. All those people in the 1940s and 50s faking it in wheelchairs saying they had polio. Tools of the left.
Polio was real.....COVID is real. The point is that they are capitalizing on Americas weakness to not be sheep. They forced Americans to get vaccinated....they made billions and for what? It was a man-made issue. They will continue to make billions with clever marketing and reporting every COVID-like illness is a new strand. You may not believe that but I do.

Polio was real.....COVID is real. The point is that they are capitalizing on Americas weakness to not be sheep. They forced Americans to get vaccinated....they made billions and for what? It was a man-made issue. They will continue to make billions with clever marketing and reporting every COVID-like illness is a new strand. You may not believe that but I do.
They mandated polio vaccines too. Still do it to this day for kids in school.

I agree.....but does the polio vax effect your heart or have any other side effects? Times were definitely different back in the 40's-50's. I think our government actually cared about the citizens back then and THAT is why the polio vax was a thing.
This is where the difference of where you get your information from comes in. There is always some small amount of risk with any vaccine, or any medical things really. People did have adverse reactions to vaccines back then, but the big picture was that the polio vaccine would save exponentially more lives than the small amount of bad outcomes. There is simply no empirical evidence that the covid vaccine is any more or less dangerous than any other.
On the subject of the government caring about its citizens, I’d say that hasn’t changed much. Even back then they were doing all kinds of drug experiments on our own military, the people impacted by the nuclear testing program, to say nothing of the atrocities the government has committed against black folks and native Americans. I’d say our government’s track record of treating its citizens well has been spotty at best. No worse than any other government of course.

My husband gave a deposit for Elk in 2019, he still waiting and Justin stopped responding. We are from NJ and trying to take legal steps to get money back or his Elk

This is who he says it is
IMG_0759.png

I'd say if he's reading any of this, he should start responding to his clients or he'll be out of business soon. That is a helluva buck....

This is the same taxidermist, Justin Brown in the Taxidermy forum, there are guys coming at him from all angles
IMG_0760.png

He has been identified on another site as well and no response there either. As soon as I stopped asking for
Updates nicely, no response back. Doubt ill
Ever hear from him again

I never mount anything. I just do a euro mount myself and put it on the wall or the shelf. Dealing with taxidermist can be great or miserable. I'll save my money for more tags and not deal with the taxi headaches! Some day when I shoot a DBHS it'll be a euro mount too, which will blow peoples minds that I'm not mounting it.

2021-12-12 12.45.21.jpg

I never mount anything. I just do a euro mount myself and put it on the wall or the shelf. Dealing with taxidermist can be great or miserable. I'll save my money for more tags and not deal with the taxi headaches! Some day when I shoot a DBHS it'll be a euro mount too, which will blow peoples minds that I'm not mounting it.

View attachment 124123
Save the hide though from the DBHS when you do.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom