How much do you spend???

BLooDTRaCKeR

Very Active Member
With all this talk about the high dollar hunts out their that get all the publicity, I was curious what we (the average hunter spends per year on their hunts). I know with things the way they are for gas, I have cut back on my scouting trips because I gotta feed the family first before I feed my diesel $160.00-$200.00 for a weekend scouting trip. Food is rediculously priced also.

For me, as soon as the hunt is over, I start saving for the next years GENERAL hunts here in Utah. My kids are all under the age of 8, I worry about being able to afford to get them into the sport because they eat and grow so much, ya gotta swap gear and clothing out almost yearly.

Is this high priced economy crushing any of your guys' hunting dreams? If so, how do you combat it to make your hunt a great experience with family/friends??

Are you asking how much my wife thinks I spend or actually spend??? LOL

I think every year I spend near 3,000 between Deer, Elk, Ducks, Utah and Wyoming. I know last year I spent over 500 on shotgun shells alone.

I also have the greatest wife. She said to me "Can we make a late season cow elk hunt our anniversary vacation every year?"

I'm a lucky fellow!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-12 AT 08:47AM (MST)[p]about $2.500 this year on deer, gen hunt. muzzle.

$3000 to $4000

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

Just on tags and fuel this year i'm over 3 grand. Not counting equipment and ammo... For elk I was packing my 300 mag, into that one over a grand. Montana deer I was packing my 7 mag and that one is close to the 2 grand mark.. Also my shotgun is close to 2 grand.... Not to mention clothing, Danner underarmour browning Cabelas etc.... I've never added it all up, because I know it will make me feel bad.. So in this case ignorance is bliss!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

i dont worry about price, i do what i can when i can afford. if i start breaking everything down i start to think what the money can go for other than hunting, (house, car, family, vacations, etc.) hunting is my vacation and my hobby its what i love to do. im ok with not having 6 tags in my pocket for 3 different states. so i always hunt my home state, and try to at least hunt out of state for one animal a year. like it was mentioned before, my first priority is to not put my family in any bind just so i can hunt.

"Shoot Straight"

It's $1000 in gas round trip for me to get to any western state (x 2 this year). NR tags for elk in NM are $780. NR tags for antelope in SD and NE are $280 and $177. Processing bill has been $810 so far this year. Taxidermist will be $300 so far this year. Duck lease is $1100 a year, + $60 in gas RT every day we go.

Lord help me if I ever get drawn for anything really good, tags get up to $3200 for non-resident bighorn in NM.

There is a Monster Muley legend on this site named Robert Bess who taught me some valuable advice years ago:

You never ever, ever, ever, add up what you spend on hunting per year.

Been kinda tight here this year. No western hunts, didnt apply.
Still recovering from two guided trips last year (NM & AK).
Plus I'm trying to build up my annual leave again for next year.
Its getting to the point that I'm gonna have to do something on the side to finance my trips. Everything is going up except my pay.

I am a public employee and as such I don't have a lot of extra cash for hunting, which I love. To remedy that, I starting my own side business 30 years ago. Now it pretty much pays for all my hunting and family vacations, etc. I hate working two jobs, but I love hunting and like others, I never add it all up.

This year on my western trip I spent $1400 for gas, $700+ for licenses, $100+ for propane, $70 for salami from my antelope, $200+ for food and incidentals. That was for 8 weeks in Wyoming and bird hunting for a week in North Dakota. Hunting is my obsession and I'll continue to pay whatever is necessary to do it until I physically can't hunt any more.

$3000-$5000, I suppose.

For me, I think the cost is split between gear/clothes, food for the hunts, gas, tags/licenses.

You mentioned the expense of taking your kids. Well, you're NOT kidding! ;-) I have three teenagers, and am constantly buying boots, jackets, cammo, hats, gloves, etc. Then ammo for all of the hunting rifles, tags for all three kids (plus myself), camping gear, etc.

It is a bit of an expensive sport, but well worth it IMO! :)

S.

:)

I agree, I don't want to add it up and know. I know I am well over $1,000 in application fees alone for everyewhere and anywhere that offers points. Then the cost of the hunt, time off work, wow, it all adds up but it is the life we choose to live and the hobby we enjoy.

I shouldn't have added it up. About $5-7K per year depending on which tag and where I travel to. In the past, I spent much more than that but my income is about a third of what I made back then.

My expendable income for hunting and fishing is about 15,000 a year.
I'm retired, (Thanks all you Kali residents). I live pretty frugal life. I have a tight budget and I don't spend alot on "more stuff" Don't always spend that much but may spend more if I go to Africa.

Also I pay only in cash. Have no debts. Have not made a truck payment since the mid-70S.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

What Zeke said! Most of my hunts end up with lots of tax deductions because of my work but this is the last year for that before I go back to school full time. Yes, at 40, I'm going back to scrool.

But since you asked, I buy small equipment items from ebay and check the free shipping box. On scouting weekends, I will pack lunch or if I'm staying for a couple of days I will fish locally and make that dinner. I use generic brands on certain grocery items and test them out during the scouting season but during the hunt only use generics where they are tested tasty. Soooo, last year I spent 5000.00 including 2500.00 of that being a four wheeler.

I am about $3K and we are learning ways too reduce this amount.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

I thought about how much money I was packing around on my back in gear and clothing this year while bowhunting...$500 camo, $500 backpack, $1600 bow, $1400 optics, $350 boots$200 release, $250 misc. = $4600+-
Ouch! Wish I'd never added that up!

Traditional >>>------->

Years ago my wife walked over to my gun cabinet, opened the door, and started taking out my guns one at a time and asked- How much is this gun worth? How much did you pay for this one? When did you buy this? How did you get this many guns? (sometimes a fib isn't a real bad thing)

I spent a lot more this year than years past. Trips to Co Wy Nv and her in Ut add up. To be honest I did not add everything up nor do I plan to. I will tell ya if you can do it then go for it!!

Now that being said I did add up my last divorce bill this year.

The bill was pretty cheap, unlimited time hunting, no questions or permission / nothing!!! :)

"If I added it up I might not spend it. Some things you just don't want to know."

+1 coach! ha

Toss in Taxi fee's and it gets to adding up quick.....

Robb

to much this year, spent over $2500 on just my sheep hunt and then add in my deer and elk hunt along with buying points, i don't even want to add it up!

ridgelineoutdoors.com

I'm a Thinkin RUGSTER planned that Die-Vorce!:D

Look at all the Huntin He's doing now!:D

You'd have to Run a Diary throughout the year to add it all up!

There are things better left alone!

And adding up what Huntin Costs is one of them!

HELL SAKES elkun!

You coulda ate a few times at the Fort for what them Deer Stakes cost you!:D

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
The next 4 years is Slicks Fault,again,GEEZUS!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

My family is a young one my oldest being 6 and two lil girls. We cant spend much. I spent approx. 800.00 this year on my elk hunt which was 35 miles from my house. Then I had to mount my elk so theres anouther 1300 or so but I have a year to pay that off which is still hard with all the other normal bills. I understand why some of yall dont want to add it up. Some of the numbers yall are throwing out there scare the hell out of me. But I wish I could put in for out of state tags. Maybe one of these years.

Just a guess, but I would bet I am on the far side of 3k and have 2 trips left to go.

I don't really add it up because it don't matter since I am doing it regardless.

You have to prioritize your life, and at this point in mine, this is my priority.

I busted my ass and did the "family first" thing for MANY years until I reached this point.

Ever notice that it's mostly older guys hunting midweek.......we paid our dues.

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

I am only going to add up my gas money for scouting and hunting. I do not want to even start figuring food, gear, tags, applications, food for my hounds, vet bills, truck and four wheeler reparis etc... I am sure it will scare the hell out of me.

Deer Scouting/Hunting Gas Money= $3,500 per year
Lion Hunting Gas Money= $5,000 per year

No wonder I am always broke, and thank god for my cabelas credit card:)

I hope my wife never trys to figure out the total cost of my obsession.

Costs me a trip for my wife to Disneyland pretty much every year. In all honesty just to get muzzy deer then elk I had a $1000 budget, blew through nearly half of that just on gas. I hunt with a 22yr old 06', my knife is 30yrs old, etc, etc. I try to buy really quality stuff when I buy it so it lasts for a long time. BUT, now I have a 6 yr old hunting buddy, so I am trying to outfit him, which by the way is nearly as costly as outfitting me. In all seriousness, after ducks, fishing, scouting, etc, i would bet 3k would be a low estimate. I don't golf, I don't go to movies, I brown bag it all year, so that is how I justify it. I also have a cool wife who doesn't add everything up.

"Your just jealous because _____, so you can't know anything!!"

This year I only hunted close to home. It was my cheapest year ever because I pretty much have all the gear I want for right now. Anyway I was less than a grand this year and my major expenses were vienna sausages and pearsons salted nut rolls.

spend that $, you'll make more! That's the only way I can look at it cause I work to be able to play, that's the story and all there is to it!

Well, that depends.. do you want cost of firearms, ammo, and clothing added?

Tags/license total: $140.00
Fuel: $400.00
Tent: $975.00 (wall tent)
Food: $300.00
Clothing: $1200.00
Firearms total: $10,000 (2 rifles and bow plus ammo/arrows)
Trucks: $3000.00 (tires/maintenance)

Estimated total: $25,000

Its insane what we spend. But I like to have good clothes, firearms and a warm wall tent w/ a stove. Lol

All DIY, I got really lucky this year and drew 3 tags with odds from 1% - 6% and one easy tag.

NM ibex $3k

AK bou/moose $5k

NM elk $2k

VT moose $1k

THis was for hunt alone, add in gear and app fees and that is likely $3k - $4k more.

Average year I spend $3k - $4k for gear/apps fees and $5k for 2 hunts.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-12 AT 02:42PM (MST)[p]Why does everyone add in the cost of food? You are going to eat wether you are hunting or not.

I do everything DIY so time off of work is my most significant expense.

The mountains, not the hills.

BloodTracker:

I'd sell everything I own to make sure my kids have the opportunity to hunt (wife included....too far?). But in all seriousness, I've had to learn to take a global approach to my finances and spend alot of time focusing on the nickels and dimes that make the dollar. Another good idea is to start an account where you litterally make deposits of $1.50, $5.00, or any leftover funds you have. Sounds ridiculous, but it helps make your efforts "real".

Good luck.

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-12
>AT 02:42?PM (MST)

>
>Why does everyone add in the
>cost of food? You
>are going to eat wether
>you are hunting or not.
>
>
>I do everything DIY so time
>off of work is my
>most significant expense.
>
>The mountains, not the hills.

Add the cost of food for me because what i eat in the mountains is more expensive than what i would eat at home. I prefer MH meals because I spend everyday all day hiking. I dont have time to cook. They are nutritious and good flavor, but not cheap.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom