How Much Do You Tip Your Guide

gotthefever

Got a question. I bought a landowner tag an want to know how much you should tip the operator whom you bought the tag from and the guy that helped guide you durring the hunt?

Fever

My feeling would be nothing more for the operator and approximately ten percent or up of the cost of the hunt(less tag cost) for your guide-depending on your satisfaction?

Tip more than the next guy is willing or prepare to lose your future gig.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Guide only in my opinion. I just did a hunt and tipped my guide $350 for a deer hunt. I think it comes down to how hard the guide works for you and what you can afford. I'm doing a guided sheep hunt next fall and am already mulling what I can afford to tip assuming its a good hunt...

I dont like the "tip what you can afford" way of thinking. When you go out to eat, do you not tip the waiter because you can't afford it? If you can't afford to give a decent tip, then you don't go on guided hunts. Or you wait a year to save up enough money to give a good tip.

I would say the opposite of DoeNob.

You should tip a minimum of 10% of the total hunt cost, but no less then $50 per day. So if you are with the guide 5 days, $250 minimum, more if you feel he deserves it.

This rule applies unless the guide is a deusch and not helpful. In which case you give him very little and a note that says why you didn't tip real high.

When I was a fishing guide it helped to get some feed back. I only ever had 2 groups that were at all critical of me in 5 years, but what those 2 groups told me was EXTREMELY helpful for future clients.

>I dont like the "tip what
>you can afford" way of
>thinking. When you go
>out to eat, do you
>not tip the waiter because
>you can't afford it?
>If you can't afford to
>give a decent tip, then
>you don't go on guided
>hunts. Or you wait
>a year to save up
>enough money to give a
>good tip.

+100

Traditional >>>------->

LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-11 AT 11:00AM (MST)[p]Quote: "I dont like the "tip what you can afford" way of thinking. When you go out to eat, do you not tip the waiter because you can't afford it? If you can't afford to give a decent tip, then you don't go on guided hunts. Or you wait a year to save up enough money to give a good tip"

Good grief... It has nothing to do with "what you can afford". Like I said, its what you feel comfortable with. Why would an Outfitter make assumptions on what he will get for a tip.

If he is not making enough on the hunt he is selling, raise the prices. Or, tell the client up front what you expect to be tipped (on condition of doing a good job).

Take the guess work out of it. Charge it up front and then everyone will know what to expect.

You shouldnt HAVE to tip at all,if the guy goes way out of the way to get you that monster trophy maybe.

A lot of places are advertiseing their hunts at about $5000 then they say tips are not included in the price....guides $200 per day cooks $100 and wranglers $150. What do you tip the 6 or 7 spotters ? How about the guy that is driving the "client" to the airport don't forget him $150 plus the extra $200 the outfitter charges for that service....lol... What ever happened to getting a buddy or your kids and go "hunt" ? DIY all the way !! then take your wife/girlfriend out when you get home with all that saved $$$$

Not to be a stick in the mud....this is what is wrong with America today.A tip is something in my book and the way I was rasied,you earn it!!!!not just becuase it cost so much for your dinner or hunt or your paper being delievered.I tip on the sevice.I never leave a restaruant without leaving a tip,no matter how the sevice was, if they get a small tip maybe they will try harder next time a custmer comes in.Tip how good the sevice is.

You actually aren't expected to tip anywhere else in the world except America.

It's an American thing.

My question is:

What do the guides expect?

If they got 10%, would they be pissed off with that? or Walk away saying that was a good tip?

>You actually aren't expected to tip
>anywhere else in the world
>except America.
>
>It's an American thing.
>
>My question is:
>
>What do the guides expect?
>
>If they got 10%, would they
>be pissed off with that?
>or Walk away saying that
>was a good tip?

I believe tips are expected on most hunts throughout the world. especially Africa.

I'm a young guy and I haven't been on any guided hunts. When I'm older and hopefully richer, I'll hopefully be able to go on a few guided hunts. I'll tell the guide, I have x amount of dollars (and it will be a good amount) and all of this money will be yours if your service is great. If it is bad, I will start taking away x amount of dollars from this stack.

c86man3

That sounds pretty dang arrogant. I don't think treating people like that will get you good things in life.

Tips are generally 10% of the cost of your hunt.....more if you think your guide and experience was worth it.

So HOW MANY of you get tips for just doing the job you was hired to do. Bonuses are a different thing.
How many Welders get a tip for doing a great job.
How many school teachers get a tip for doing a great job.
How many Plumbers get a tip for doing a great job.
I know contruction guys don't get tips At least I never have.
ECT ECT ECT ECT
Just saying if you agree to do a job for X amount of dollars why would be looking for a handout at the end.
The client pays the outfitter shouldn't the outfitter pay his help enough so they wouldn't have to be looking for tips. How many are there to tip. Guide,Wrangler Cook, Airport Driver, Spotter,tracker the list could be really big and at a 100 a day you could pay more then the hunt costed in the beginning.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Per social rules, a tip is pretty much a should thing.

True gratuity, an expression of appreciation or gratitude, is not an entitlement. I generally tip in situations where it is expected, and the tip is usually reflective of good service. However, if the the service is mediocre or poor then their wages would have to do.

I know that for the hours and labor, most guides are not making much at all. Fortunately most of them love what they do. I don't foresee me ever having a guided hunt, but if I did I would hope for the kind of guide that would make me want to give him a 20% tip and would go to the hunt with that and a bit extra for the cook and wrangler (if there was one) as well.

Gator-
Guiding is a lot like waitressing. We don't make high wages or even a decent living off of the wages alone, it's the gratuities that pay the bills.

Ok, I have seen this subject hashed and rehashed. I get tired of it really. But I'm gonna jump in as devils advocate.

Mmwb, your idea has a lot of merit. But tell the truth. If you were on a stone sheep hunt are you going to plan on tipping your guide 3 or 4 grand? Plus wrangler, cook etc?

Slam, you're an experienced and I believe top notch guide. What's the biggest tip you've ever received? Percentage wise and total?

>Ok, I have seen this subject
>hashed and rehashed. I get
>tired of it really. But
>I'm gonna jump in as
>devils advocate.
>
>Mmwb, your idea has a lot
>of merit. But tell the
>truth. If you were on
>a stone sheep hunt are
>you going to plan
>on tipping your guide 3
>or 4 grand? Plus wrangler,
>cook etc?
>
>Slam, you're an experienced and I
>believe top notch guide. What's
>the biggest tip you've ever
>received? Percentage wise and total?
>

NV:

A great point! If a hard working Outfitter charges $25K for a Stone Sheep Hunt, does he get $2500? If the same Outfitter offers a Whitetail hunt for $3500, does he get $3500??

Set prices would eliminate preferential treatment!

woodruff,
to combine your example with mmwb's, he's gonna bring 5000 cash plus the wrangler and cook tip in the hopes that his guide busts his ass for him.

For those of you who are guides, if you went on a guided hunt (say for stone sheep where you're required to) what would you plan on tipping your guide assuming he does a fantastic job?

I'm thinking I'm gonna follow mmwb to the airport and roll him. :)

Gator

You go ahead and go on a few hunts or fishing trips with a guide and keep that attitude. The service you recieve will be shitty once your reputation is known. Then you will walk around in life with a "see I told you so" attitude.

For the amount of work a guide puts in, both day to day, and BEHIND the scenes that you don't see they deserve a tip. I used to fish guys for 10-12 hours a day, (boat was ready to leave at 5:00 AM, whenever they showed up was their choice. We had to hit the dock by 5:30 PM). Then I filleted fish for at least 2 hours, often 3. And at night I made sure all the gear was stowed and ready to go so the client would not be waiting on me at 5:00 AM. Being a guide is a 24 hour a day commitment. You only get paid wages for the time you are actually with the client. A tip is for the behind the scenes stuff, and the knowledge you personally bring to the table for the client.

If the guide does a crappy job, then give him a crappy tip! But please tell them why the crappy tip came, ( a short note is the best way to accomplish this) If the guide isn't tough enough to take some criticism and improve, well they won't make enough money anyway and will lose interest in what they are doing.

NV-
Like i stated prior, 10% is what is expected and and defined in our contracts to our clients. If i guide an elk hunt that is $18K, my MINIMUM tip would be $1800, more if they feel good about it. Although i won't disclose exact amounts, i have came off hunts with several thousand on numerous occasions in my 17 years of doing this. I have received gifts as well, like top notch optics, rifles, scopes, handguns, etc; etc.
One of my hunters took a 400+ bull with me this year.....i was paid very well in gratuities ;-)
And for the record, i absolutely LOVE what i do and i'd gladly do it for free. I am very fortunate to be able to do these top notch hunts every year and bump shoulders with some very well known, successful people from all over the world.....how could i place a price tag on that :)

Guiding is more to me than the money i receive from it.
To help someone accomplish a dream for them is an overwhelming feeling on most occasions. The high i get seeing that trophy animal hit the ground and watching tears roll down the cheeks of a grown man or woman is simply priceless.

Slam, I believe you are in the business for the right reasons and derive more pleasure from it than monetary value. You're that kind of guy.

You said that 10 percent is defined in your contracts. Ummmmm... not to be antagonistic but that doesn't sound like a "tip". It sounds more like a "buyers premium". I guess its no different than a restaurant that adds a set gratuity for larger parties but since its not discretionary, I don't think that's a tip either. At least not in the spirit in which tips are intended. That's simply compensation. Part of the price.

Im glad you do get that 10 percent. I have no doubt you earn every dime. But it is something guys like me who may only go on one or two guided hunts in our lives need to figure into the budget.

Maybe I stated that wrong. It IS in our contracts to clients but not "mandatory" that they tip us that much....that's just what is a standard for the guide doing his job well. If he blew the clients hunt, well then the guide deserves not only a black eye, but a pink slip as well ;-)

Slam:

That actually sounds fair and I had no idea about it. Building it into the cost was my point. I'll never be one to say guides are over paid. I would not enjoy dealing with a lot of hunters (as a job). Like NV said, it sounds like you are in it for the right reasons.

zero, your required to tip nothing. If your already paying someeone 5 grand for a hunt, why should you be expected to tip on top of that. Your already paying them to work for you, so unless you kill a world class animal, no tip is required.

Like I said earlier, I know I am very fortunate to be able to do this stuff. I get to see country that most doesn't even know exists and meet people from all over the world. I'm not lucky enough to draw good tags or rich enough to buy them, so this is my way of enjoying what those people that do, only I'm monetarily rewarded for it. You DO have to be a people person and adapt to all types of personalities, but its fun. In 17 years and hundreds of hunts, I can only think of one "unpleasant" week on the mountain. 99% of them have been nothing short of awesome!

If you book a hunt and you are not going to tip...please do the outfitter and the guide a favor and share that plan at the time you are booking the hunt since this is not the norm.

Is also not the norm to stiff the doorman that hails the cab for you at the hotel. You will not go to jail if you do not tip the doorman. You will probably never see the doorman again.
You will have a couple of dollars in your pocket if you do not tip and the doorman with have a couple less. The norm is to tip the doorman though so mainstream society will judge your actions as not falling into the norm. Karma can be a #####, btw.

Is poor logic to say that you do your job and no one tips you so why should a guide (or bellhop, etc) get a tip. Bravo for you asking the question. Cultural norms are complex and sometimes defy logic. Why is it that the Starbucks cashier gets a tip for handing you a coffee while the McDonald's cashier handing you a coffe does not? I tip at Starbucks and not at McD's.

If the cultural norms shift then so will my tipping patterns when I use services. Until then, I will tip when using services where society norms indicate tipping is correct in the situation.

Chose you own path in life. If you are not into following cultural norms then so be it. I prefer to hunt with those that are into conformity since a lot of ethical issues involve norms.

>zero, your required to tip nothing.
>If your already paying someeone
>5 grand for a hunt,
>why should you be expected
>to tip on top of
>that. Your already paying them
>to work for you, so
>unless you kill a world
>class animal, no tip is
>required.

Wow!
Someone apparently doesn't know how it works!
FYI.....you didn't pay your guide the 5k for the hunt, it went to the outfitter.
Guess that means you don't tip your waitress because you already paid for your meal to the restraunt owner? ;-)

>zero, your required to tip nothing.
>If your already paying someeone
>5 grand for a hunt,
>why should you be expected
>to tip on top of
>that. Your already paying them
>to work for you, so
>unless you kill a world
>class animal, no tip is
>required.

Yep, just tell them when you meet your guide "I don't plan on giving you any tip just so ya know buddy." See how that works out for ya. If your'e gonna be a cheapskate, at least have the balls to tell the guide to his face instead of being a little sissy and walking away from your hunt without leaving a tip.

This is bull chit.... You guys should unionize.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Guess I'm lucky I enjoy doing everything DIY because I could not afford those tips alone. Just returned from a 2 state trip where I scrounged up 2 locals with mules/horses to get my game out. That's about the only service I need. Or at least it helps.

"I scrounged up 2 locals with mules/horses to get my game out"

I'll bet that comment alone makes them glad they helped you lol...

Perhaps I gave the misperception that I'm rolling in the dough!lol I was speaking in terms of ideals. I'd love to have a guide that clearly deserved the 20% and would love to be in a position of that was the case to pay it.

I remember as a little kid, my mom waitressing to pay the bills. Dad did faithfully pay child support and then some, but it was still tight. I remember her coming home from the the Country Kitchen doggedly tired and counting change on the kitchen table, figuring out loud what it equated to in groceries. She also told me of people coming in and sitting down before tables were bussed and stealing the tips. It left an impression on a little boy's mind. The worst I ever tipped a waitress was 10%. She really was a lousy waitress, but maybe there were other serious variables in her life. I usually tip 20%. On rare occasions like my daughter's wedding luncheon, I had to down it to 15% to be realistic to my pocket book, but the waitresses made pretty good that afternoon by it anyway. A couple of times the tip was 25%.

In the end, gratuity is about appreciation. Some appreciate the efforts of others more. Some less. For some, just purchasing the hunt may come at a serious sacrifice with little left over. I've talked with probably a couple of dozen guides over the past few years and never heard one complain about what they were or weren't tipped. They all loved the work.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-11 AT 07:23AM (MST)[p]I agree with what's been said by some. You are not required to tip on a guided hunt, only if you feel a tip is deserved. And the idea that you should, or would ever, tell a guide upfront that no additional money will be offered - in addition to the $5 thousand or so already paid, is ludicrous. I'm not sure how it become customary to tip on a paid-for guided hunt but I bet it didn't start out as customary. For most people, paying for a guided hunt involves long-term saving and infrequent trips. Pulling $500 cash out of your wallet to pay everyone additional money is not an easy thing. The payment for the hunt may have gone to the outfitter but it his responsibility to pay his employees. I am not saying that a tip is not to be paid; however, I feel it should not be standardized. Pay what you can afford and for a job done that exceeded your expectations.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-11 AT 07:42AM (MST)[p]"I'll bet that comment alone makes them glad they helped you lol..."

Both were nearby. I paid one very fairly, and the other I stayed to guide him on his hunt. He refused money when I offered it. For me, doing things this way make the hunts more fun and challenging. And I get to meet a lot of other good sportsmen like myself.

Both are welcome to scrounge me up if I am nearby on one of their hunts.

I couldn't figure out two guys from Calif on one of my hunts. They paid thousands for the guide to take them to the same canyon each year which was public land, and an easy drive. Then they complained to me about the way he was guiding! Go figure.

I've been an outfitter for 24 years now; just got back from a hunt and another round of hunters arrives tomorrow. I sometimes think I've seen it all.

We have a quality oriented, small-scale operation that is on private ranches. This week, we've shot two bulls, three deer and three antelope. One bull was 370, the other 350. We have top-notch guides and provide great food and good accomodations.

Every year, hunters ask me what to tip. And the standard answer is 10%, just as has been specified. But we get all types of huters. Every year, we host two hunters from PA who win a contest; the grand prize being a deer hunt for 2 with us. This year, two brothers ages 17 and 19 won. They have no money and had never even shot a single buck. They had a great time, but those contest winners never tip. But we enjoy hosting them. Our elite returning hunters generally tip 10% or more and know the expectations.

But every year, we take a few new hunters on cheaper hunts for antelope. Some of those people have never been on a guided hunt and they don't tip very well if at all. Every antelope hunter gets a buck, but some are not very able or skilled as hunters. And some tip, some don't tip well or at all.

Long story short, it's variable and it is not a mandate. A tip is an expression of appreciation for a job well done. Through the years, I've gotten some big tips and been stiffed by other hunters. Some of the biggest tips were for easy hunts with skilled hunters and some of the hunters that never left a tip were some of my most difficult hunts, primarily because the hunters simply could not shoot or even walk.

There are times I have to repeat many times "This is why they hire us" when I see their lack of ability. But as SLAM says, most of my memories are good and I don't do it just for money. I love scouting, the pursuit and meeting the diverse array of people.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom