Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Draw tag

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Neither, I’d rather just sit and complain about G and H

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters

SS!

Long Time Member
So here’s the deal. I have a sheep hunt planned for August but I also drew an Oct archery tag for the mountains behind my house. Between all my other hunts I have to pick between general season sheep or hunt the draw tag. I don’t have time for both Which would you do?

The benefits of the general hunt is better weather, rifle hunting, way cooler country, less peoplez

Sounds like you kinda answered your own question? What’s the benefit on the draw, or is it just a draw and archery because it’s easier access?

Complaining about G and H is always entertaining. :ROFLMAO:

Are the sheep wild? A challenge? Do they run away when they see people? Do they hide from hunters? If they're a challenge, then go archery hunting and put your hunting skills to the test.

Sounds like you kinda answered your own question? What’s the benefit on the draw, or is it just a draw and archery because it’s easier access?
I’m not sure the reason for the draw hunt. I think it’s likely harder than a general tag. Very low success historically.
Any benefit to being closer to home? Success chance higher?
For sure. Less travel time, more legal rams/sheep

Complaining about G and H is always entertaining. :ROFLMAO:

Are the sheep wild? A challenge? Do they run away when they see people? Do they hide from hunters? If they're a challenge, then go archery hunting and put your hunting skills to the test.
The sheep are very wild. There are 3 rifle seasons before the archery opens up. I remember you not filling your mountain goat tag due to how tame they were. Lots of respect for you doing that!

Archery would be my option since I have not archery hunted sheep. I know you have shot a few with a rifle already. Archery would be a well deserved trophy.

Sounds like you drew Eklutna. Go for the draw hunt. Mature rams are scarcer than ever all across Alaska so why not take this year to try something new. Could be a once in a lifetime experience. You can go general next year, and the year after, and the year after...
Where did you draw?

Sounds like you drew Eklutna. Go for the draw hunt. Mature rams are scarcer than ever all across Alaska so why not take this year to try something new. Could be a once in a lifetime experience. You can go general next year, and the year after, and the year after...
Where did you draw?
I have the Oct hunt so eklutna, Peters, ship creek

If it were me, I'd make time for both. I can't imagine what it would be like to take two sheep in one year! Easy decision for most of us that can't get a sheep tag, even every decade.

I know that's not what you are asking, so back to your question.
I'd take the one that's less crowded. I hate competitive hunting, especially for sheep...especially with a bow in hand...especially when it's snowing and cold!
I know, I'm old and soft.

If it were me, I'd make time for both. I can't imagine what it would be like to take two sheep in one year! Easy decision for most of us that can't get a sheep tag, even every decade.

I know that's not what you are asking, so back to your question.
lol I'd take the one that's less crowded. I hate competitive hunting, especially for sheep...especially with a bow in hand...especially when it's snowing and cold!
I know, I'm old and soft.
Here’s the kicker, the general season is before the draw tag, so if I kill a general season ram I can’t hunt the draw tag.

I have over 100 days scheduled to be in the mountains this fall…BEFORE I add in a sheep hunt. Time is slipping by…

That’s a tough decision especially when you’re also guiding and trying to please clients and make money for your family. I would go with the hunt that you can fit in and spend the most time at. The old Rams are tough and the meat even has a smell to it, the only reason I’d kill a Ram is so Nugget has a couple of good chew horns for the winter.

Here’s the kicker, the general season is before the draw tag, so if I kill a general season ram I can’t hunt the draw tag.

I have over 100 days scheduled to be in the mountains this fall…BEFORE I add in a sheep hunt. Time is slipping by…
That’s impressive considering there is only 90 days of fall,

Mark

Tough choice, depends where you were planning on going for the general if you were doing what you have been doing the past couple years I would go that route to try and achieve that dream but if not then I guess I would maybe commit to a bow in order to not only have some rifle dall kills but an archery to add to the list. So with that being said I didn’t vote.

I’d probably take the GS hunt for the reasons you mentioned (better weather, less people, cool country). However, if I had already killed some sheep with rifle, but not bow, then that might be enough of a reason for me to try my hand with a bow. Personally, I’ve never been sheep hunting, so I would probably go for the rifle if I thought it would increase my chance of success (in addition to the other factors you mentioned).

Last edited:
Hunt the draw tag...after all you applied for and drew it. Someone was applying for and didnt draw it, no reason to waste it if you hunt general season. Great problem to have though.

Most of us can't relate to your "Great problem" SS, and NONE of the rest of us have 100 days in the mountains already booked. That many days sounds a lot like "work", which it probably is on most days.
With that in mind, I'd probably go with the hunt that would be most relaxing and satisfying. One that wouldn't feel as much like work as the other 100 days.
I'm excited to hear and see (pics) how it goes, so keep us in the loop.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom