How nervous should I be?

PhillyB

Hey guys...
These guys showed up on my game camera last week.

Bears_Cam1_TrophyRock_zpsecf3c021.jpg

I have about ten pics with these guys on them over the span of 2-3 days and another pic with a sow and two cubs on it.
I have never dealt with bears before. I am going this weekend to take the cams down for the season. I will be on the muzzy hunt, so I will have that and a 9mm.

Being that I am new to dealing with bears and such, I am just curious what everyone thinks my chances are of having a run in with these guys?

Any info, thoughts, jokes, jabs are welcome. Thanks.

99% of the time they will be more scared of you than you are or should be of them. I wouldnt worry about them to much. The mother with cubs would be my only worries. Good luck.

I have no doubt you'll never come back:) I wouldn't let that scene get you too worked up. Be observant and make some noise and you shouldn't have a problem. Odds are you won't see them and if you do...it'll be rumps. If you do get into trouble, use that 9mm to shoot your buddy in the knee cap.

In my experience if you get close to the sow she will chase her cubs up a tree, and start huffing and puffing to warn you, but that being said be prepared for anything if you surprise her she could do anything, so be prepared other wise chance are she and the others will avoid you.

Just don't eat them and you will be fine...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-12 AT 05:55AM (MST)[p]I had that experience once, too. It was very dark in the early morning. I was moving as quietly as I could through the top edge of some pines, without my flashlight on. The only thing darker than the early morning was the large dark round shape about 20 yards away. The noise of the cubs going up the tree, sounded like a herd of elk running away. Only the herd wasn't getting any further away! That old sow started snapping hers jaws so loud that my hunting buddy heading up the next draw asked me later what that sound was. I took my rifle off my shoulder and slowly backed off. I can't remember if I was still sleepy from the early morning risings, but I can guaran-damn-tee you, if I was, I wasn't after that!

If you get scared, just take some pepper spray and wear bells.

6521alaska-grizzly-bear-notice.jpg

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

black bears kill more people than grizz do, hows that to make you feel beter,,,?

don't worry about them. Nothing is going to happen between you and them. I would not waste my effort carrying a pistol for protection either. 99.999999999999999% of the time they are gone before you know they are even there.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Thanks guys. I will be sure to log back in after this weekend to detail my near death escape to all who are interested.

If you have a carryable pistol id bring it, rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, otherwise youll never even know theyre there. If youve spent anytime in the woods at all
chances are youve spooked off hundrds and never knew

Your fine as long as your name isn't Timothy Mcvay!!!(sp)

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

That first one looks too small to be trouble, The second one looks too big to be trouble, but that third one looks just right..... :)...... Terry

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-12 AT 10:36AM (MST)[p]"You're fine as long as your name isn't Timothy Mcvay!!!(sp)"

Unless you are talking about the Oklahoma city bombing I think "McVeigh" is spelled "Treadwell" ;-) ...... Terry

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-12 AT 05:57PM (MST)[p]A lot of Deer and Elk getting killed around all these baited trail cams. It does not take the predators long to take advantage of an unnatural congregation of game animals.

You know what they say don't feed the Bears.

I'd say that is a small brown sow with 2 juvenile cubs. So if a momma and cubs scare ya, you should be afraid of those ones too.

You guessed it... I barely made it out alive. It was a close call, but I survived. One of these days, I will recount my trip, however I am working on a book deal that details the mission at hand. Check back for updates.

Thanks for all the input and information.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom