How to clean mounts??

born_2_hunt

My deer and antelope mounts are getting quite dusty. What's the best way to get the dust off without f-ing up my trophys? Also my deer is in full velvet, what's the best way to clean velvet?

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

Someone once told me to use those Swiffer dusters you can get at any local store. I have used them on my antelope and mule deer in velvet and they have worked great. They pick up the dust and are soft, so they won't damage the velvet or the cape on your mounts at all.

Give it a shot - if you don't like it you won't be out much as a box of those dusters are pretty cheap.

I have heard of many people using swiffers. A few people I know use dustoff. The aresol spray used to clean electronics.

I read some years ago that to use the attachment for the vacuum cleaner that is for window blinds...the small rectanglular one with bristles on the edge. Vac it with the direction the hair grows or lays down not against the hair upward to the head.
Soft cloth with windex for the eyes.

Brian
http://i48.tinypic.com/238eb6.jpg[/IMG]

Blow and brush all the dust out...........spray with windex.........scrub like your scrubbing your dog......brush back out........let dry.......wipe down with dry towel to get the brush marks out.

At least that's what i do.

Later,
Taxi

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-10 AT 08:53PM (MST)[p]A taxidermy supply company would have what your looking for. One is Protect Mount Clean and the other is Seybrite Trophy cleaner effectively removes dirt and stains from hair structures. It even eliminates the tavern yellow coloration as well as stale, dirty odors. About 1 ounce of this product will clean a deer sized mount. The cleaner will not harm the user or the mount. Trophy Sheen & Shield protects newly cleaned, as well as newly mounted animals against the impurities that cause Tavern Yellow. The kit contains: 4 ounce Seybrite Cleaner, 4 ounce Sheen & Shield and a 4 ounce spray bottle, which will do up to 6 deer size mounts. Instructions included. quest

I use the vacume on them with the brush for the most part. but I like to get my aircompresor at least once a year to get out all the deep dust out. Then comb or brush them back out then use a wet towel to finish it off.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom