How to clean/wash a cape? (Skunk smell)

podini

So, after three years of waiting for my wife’s elk to get mounted by Western Skies Taxidermy in Price, I finally decided to just go get the cape and find someone else to do it since Jake (the taxidermist) made no effort to get it done in the time since we dropped it off in 2020. However, after getting the cape, we noticed that we were getting a skunk smell in the garage the next morning. I asked Jake, and apparently he threw a fresh skunk in the freezer with a bunch of capes (WTF?!).

Anyway, he said I could bring it back and he’d clean it for me. Now I’ve been waiting for a few months, and it doesn’t look like he’s going to clean it. So my question is: how can I clean or wash the cape to get the smell out and not ruin it?

Do you guys have any special chemicals for something like that? Do I just throw it in the garage sink and go for it? Would I want to find a taxidermist to clean it for me to make sure I don’t mess it up? Does someone on here want to do it?

Appreciate any help…

I have never had luck removing skunk smell from already tanned skins. It's is easier to do prior to tanning. A lot of the remedies can mess with the integrity of the tan. It probably wouldn't hurt it if you did a saltwater wash with some dish soap. Just don't leave the cape submerged.

Thanks… since it sounds like you have experience with them, have you ended up using the skunky capes, or did you get new? (Would you say it’s ruined?)

I have had experience with skunks themself. Ibex are really bad as well. Once the oil gets set into the leather it's hard to remove bit can be neutralized easier when raw. I have never tried to remove skunk from another tanned species.

I wouldn't waste time, effort, and money trying to get skunk stink out of a tanned cape. Just buy a new cape and save yourself the hassles. There are replacement capes out there.
I have 2 elk capes frozen raw from last month. $100 for both- one should work depending on what you need. Or your taxidermist should have a line on a replacement cape for you.

I wouldn't waste time, effort, and money trying to get skunk stink out of a tanned cape. Just buy a new cape and save yourself the hassles. There are replacement capes out there.
I have 2 elk capes frozen raw from last month. $100 for both- one should work depending on what you need. Or your taxidermist should have a line on a replacement cape for you.
Thanks for the reply. From what Uttaxi was saying, that was kind of the feeling I was getting. Wish we could wash it and save it, but if the stink won’t come out, why bother?

I’ll definitely ask the taxidermist, but I’m not gonna hold my breath waiting for him to do anything for me, so I would likely be interested in one of your capes… where you located?

Highly recommend @Uttaxi1 he has done taxidermy work for me and is very talented. His turnaround time is not blowing smoke either.

I killed a bighorn sheep in November of 2022 and he had it done by April 2023. Can’t beat that!

He has posted a bunch of his stuff here on the site-check it out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom