How to determine SECOND choice odds in Colorado?

ThunderBall

Could someone please explain how to determine the odds of drawing your second choice in Colorado for non-residents? Thanks in advance.

Personally I like the "hunt recaps". Just easier for my brain to understand. If unit XYZ has 100 tags availble and 50 1st choice applicants and 100 second choice applicants, your odds would be 50% of drawing the tag as a second choice.

100 - 50 = 50 tags left after first drawing

50 tags remaining divided by 100 applicants = 0.5 = 50% odds of drawing.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Yes, the hunt recaps are helpful as well. But they are a bit misleading, because they imply that all of those 2nd choice apps were "in the running" for a tag, when in reality many actually drew their first choice. You can see that when you look at the drawing summaries.

For example, unit 15 archery deer, DE01501A: 145 tags, with 101 1st choice apps and 89 second choice. You would think that nobody drew 3rd choice, but if you look at the draw summary you will see that it was actually drawn as a 4th choice by some.

You really need to use both the hunt recap and the drawing summary to figure out what is going on.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-13 AT 05:49PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the heads up! I have been underestimating my chances on 2nd choices!

txhunter58

Am I right in assuming that 2nd/3rd/4th choice selections aren't biased towards residents or non residents? IE: If it even reaches 2nd choice, then everyone is treated equally?

Mike
"~Who says deer don't eat Berger's???"

There is no preferencial treatment of residents vs nonres after the first choice drawing. And points go away, so it is a random draw without preference points.

txhunter58

To clarify, if my hunt code indicates a Choice #1 Success of 95%, that means that all of the tags were gone before the 1st choices were gone through, and there is 0% chance to draw on a 2nd Choice?

That is right all the tags went to the first choice hunters and a few didn't draw on first choice.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom