how to square a scope?

sjhgraysage

Very Active Member
How do you guys or gals square up the scope reticle when you mount a scope on a rifle? Seems like others pick up my rifles and look through the scope and say that it looks canted to one side or the other. :-(

Here is the easy and cheap way. You will need a padded vise or sand bags. Have the rifle scope mounts installed. using a cheap hardware store line level, about three inches long and with a flat bottom. place it on the top of the flat part of the scope mounts and level it from left to right while the gun is secured in the vise or bags. without moving the gun, install scope and place the line level on the flat part of the top turrent and turn scope until it is level and tighten ring screws. recheck after everthing is tighten down. The most critical part is that the rifle is not moved, causing you to loose it's level, while mounting the scope. This is while I prefer to use a padded vise to hold the gun in place.

RELH

Just another thought on that; My reticle is actually slightly canted because when I snug the stock against my shoulder, it pulls sightly to the inside. That's probably not the most orthodox way to shoot etc...but it might be part of your issue. RELH has a good resolution.

"Every man dies...not every man really lives."

trial and error, a lot of trial and error. For most of your shooting just eye balling the crosshairs is sufficient unless you're getting into long range target stuff. Just barely snugg up the scope and hold the grip in both hands at arms length and look at the vertical line compared to the bore and keep tweeking it until you are satisfied. May take a while the first couple of times but you'll get the knack of it. Good luck!

sagehntr

Put the gun in a padded vise and make sure it is set up square. Hang a plumb line down across the room and use this line to set the vertical cross hair. Cheap easy and effective.

In order to make sure the rifle is "square" in the vise, still requires the use of a level. If you have the level, there is no need for a plumb bob line. alot faster just using the level for everything.

RELH

Thanks guys.
I have tried holding the rifle and lining up the vertical or horizontal with something that is supposed to be plumb or square in the house like a door jamb etc.
I'm trying the level next time!
I already have the vise set up.

Plumb bob line provides a second check! Make sure to tighten the bolts equally so one side of the scope is not torqued or having most of the holding power...I have seen this cause twisint in the scope especially if under substantial recoil. Great tips guys, you are all right on!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom