How would you approach your LE Elk hunt?

Dahlmer

I'm curious what everyone here thinks. Assume you had a tag this year on the LE unit of your choice, what would your expectation be for the hunt? What kind of bull will you hold out for? 400? 385? 350? Less? At what point do you lower your expectations if ever? This can be a controversial subject so let's keep it civil.

Personally, I would like to kill a record book bull, but I don't believe I am good enough at judging them to be able to tell what is 360 and what is 390. I think the first bull that struck me as really big would get shot...if it were 385+, I'm happy but no more happy than if it's not. I would probably start lowering my expectation in the last couple of days and no, I won't go home empty handed. I haven't spent the last 12 years in anticipation to go home with nothing but the tag.

Had mine 2 years ago. San Juan, archery. My goal was 350. Passed up so many 320 to 350 bull I can't even guess. On day 8 I passed on 14 bull within 40 yards and shootable all between 300 and 360. (Passed on the 360, cuz a bigger bull was behind us) That night I decided it was time to kill a bull and the next 340 was going to get shot. Next morning the first bull to come by was a solid 340 bull, not 30 yards, and I just could not shoot him after passing up so many bulls that size already. 2 hours later I was standing over my 360 bull. I had about 5 days left to hunt, and yes I probably would have lowered my standard, and definately would not have gone home with an uncut tag. But, had to hold out for a while. With the bow I thought 350 was tough to get, and it was, but there are just so many bulls down there.
But it is really what will make you happy.

Jason "The Big Ol' Muley"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom