Hoyt MT sport--good/bad?

C

cohntr6

Any info on this bow would be great, I am probably going to buy 1 soon. It feels great, I really like it. I'd would rather not get any posts on which is the best bow to buy, just some info on this particular model. Thanks!
Jeff

I have a Hoyt MT sport - 2002 model. I'm pretty new to archery and bought it as a beginner bow. I ended up shooting a little buck with it last year. One of my only complaints about it is how small it is axle to axle. Also, I really like how the Cam 1/2 shoots which mine doesn't have. They came out with that in 03.'

How much are you paying for it and what year is the bow?

4_Plesur

It is a 2003 bow I think. Brand new but nothing comes with it for $200. Do you know how fast you are shooting and what your setup is (sight, rest, quiver, arrows, etc.) Thanks for your response 4 plesur
Jeff

I'm shooting the 2002 Hoyt sights, trophy taker arrow rest, 2002 hoyt quiver, hoyt vexor stabilizer, Goldtip XT Hunter 5575 carbon arrows, and I'm shooting 100gr. It's a good tree stand bow because of how small it is. I honestly can't remember how fast my bow was shooting. With everthing I think I'm in it $500.

Thanks for all the info, if you dont mind another question, what have you harvested with it?
Jeff

Last year I shot a little 2 point muley. He was standing about 30 yards out and I got a complete pass through. He ran about 50 yards and piled up.
If you haven't bought sights yet, I would definitely buy sights that have a level built into them. With the small bow, axle to axle, the slightest movement makes all the difference and a level helps you stay consistent.

If the bow feels good and shoots good for you and you like the speed and the price is right....what else matters!

I would say a lot of things still matter. Quality of the bow. A car can look and drive good but in just a couple of years it could be a real lemon.
Perhaps other people have liked the feel of the bow, it shot good, it was fast enough, the price was right, but after the purchase you find one that's just a little better in every aspect and you wish that you could return the bow you just bought for the new one.
My bow shot good, felt good, and the price was right but I probably wouldn't buy the same bow again.

Just trying to play devils advocate.

How many hunters keep the same bow...and if this gentleman is new to the sport I'll bet hell be buying a new bow in a couple of years if he sticks with the sport...if he wants to try archery without spending alot of money and he likes the way this bow shoots and feels then buy it!

Amen to Elk-Horns response. It would be a great bow to get you started in archery. If you decide you really like the sport, its likely you will be wanting an upgrade in a few years. For the money, the MT sport is a good bow.

I'm not really new to bowhunting (I guess 8 years into it) but I finally harvested my 1st animal last hunting season. I called a small bull in to 10 yards and he made it about 50 yards before he gave up. I shot him with a Jennings Reliant that was bought in 1995. It is archiac by todays compund bow standards. The bow was set at 58 #'s +/-.

4plsr, I do like the short axle to axle length my Jennings is bit long and cumbersome going through the thick lodgepole chasing elk. Yes I have been looking at sights that have a level on them, i'll probably get 1 like that. Thanks for the input.
Yep the biggest deal is $$. I dont have 4 or 5 hundred bucks for a decent or better bow. The mt sport is probably 100 fps fast than my Jennings so that is a huge upgrade for me.
Thanks for the other responses.
Jeff

I have a MT Sport 2003 model that is my first bow. I liked how it felt and how it shot so I bought it. I have been very happy with it, it is a consistent shooting bow and a joy to shoot. For the money I don't think you can go wrong.

I dont have a MT Sport i have a magnatec but I have shot a Mt sport before and I think it is a good bow. IF you are going to be hiking alot it is one of the best bows you could get because of its size>

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom