Hoyt Vtec

bowhuntinnut

Is anybody shooting the new Vtec yet? I layed with one the other day and I just don't think that i can hunt this year without one.

Last week I went and played with the Vtec and the Xtec for the first time and I know there is basically no differance in the two bows but I perfered the feel of the Xtec. The differance may have been in the slightly differant grips. I definitly agree that the Vtec is an awesome bows. When I went back to shooting my PSE Diamondback it kicks like a mule compared to the Hoyts.Hopefully I can convince my wife to let me get one.

Yes there is only 3 differences in the xtec and the vtec. the handle is one but you can still get the old slimmer handle on the new bow if ya want, the riser is a bit different for more vibration control, and there is ten bucks difference in the price. Everything else is exactly the same.

No the ViperTec is a lot smaller bow axle to axle. It is 32.5" and has a 7.5" brace height. The Vtec is this years new bow and is 35.5" with a 7" brace height and just a hair faster. It also has newly designed riser, that is supposed to make it stronger more balanced and get rid of more vibration.

Thanks for the reply...I've been considering buying the vipertec.
-Raptor

I've shot quite a few different bows over the years and currently shoot an Xtec. The technology of the new bows are simply amazing over what was out there just a few years ago. I haven't shot the new Vtec yet but would definately recommend the Xtec, smooth, quiet and screaming fast.

Wyo,

whats your setup, I'm shooting an Xtec but am getting crummy speed only about 260fps, last year my viper was in the 290's.

28" draw @ 68lbs shooting 27.5" acc360 w/100gr interlocks.

Jamie,
29", 70 lbs., Beman Venture, 100gr Muzzy's.

I don't know what the actual speed is but it's more than enough for complete pass throughs. IMO, speed is overated once you get over about 250. Shot placement (pick a lil spot) and yardage judgement are way more important. And just shooting enough to feel confident with your gear.

Jamie, Are you sure everything is equal with your setup, release, draw length, shaft length and style, and you are shooting through the same Chrono as before at the same distance. In competition when the speed rules were in place guys would short draw their bows to knock 7-10ft/sec off the chrono. That 290 speed seems a little hot with that draw length and those arrows. The viper tech was a faster bow but I'm not sure it was that much faster. They did make some changes in the cams and they are a little slower than the 2003 models (about 5-8 ft/sec) were so that would account for some of the difference. One things for certain that new bow should be a little more forgiving. Go to Hoyt's website and make sure your bow is set in the proper cam position because that can make a difference with the speed. If you have the wrong cams on your bow for your draw it could be part of your problem. Hope this helps a little.

Yes I had the pleasure of shooting it today. It is a beautiful piece of equipment, but I was not blown away like I thought I would be. I have a 3 year old Cybertec and it felt very similar? In my opinion not worth a $700 upgrade.

No your right the setup was much different. The Viper was the original Viper not the viper teck and I was shooting 72lbs at the time. Still have it and it still rips. I do think I need to go to the shorter cams I have the 28-30.5 now so I'm all the way at the short end. Thanks for the help.

Totally agree, the deer I killed this year ran off and left the arrow stuck in the ground behind him. I use a rangefinder religously but don't like the arch the arrow makes at that speed.

Jamie, I went to Hoyt's website and couldn't find info on 2005 bows so I will guess that your's is a 2004 model. If it is you should have cam set 5 and should be in position C. If you are not you may be over cammed on your bow. In effect your not getting the full power stroke of the cam and it will be at a loss of speed. Go to Hoyt USA website and look at the technical charts to verify above info in case I looked at the wrong chart. Then look on the forums on the site for info. If you have a 2005 model I think they want most of those in the C-D slot. You should find some useful info on the forums for you to help you. If not call Hoyt direct and ask to speak to someone. I can tell you if a cam change is in order you will need new strings and cables and it will effect the max draw weight on you bow somewhat around 3-4 lbs (I think). If you need to recam I would go back to the dealer and tell him what your research has shown and hopefully he will make the changes for you at no additional cost (he should if he set up your bow and measured your draw). I hope this helps you a little and good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom