Humphries/Rio Chama

C

Cbeck

I drew the second rifle hunt and was curious if someone could lend some helpful advice. I have been told that the Humphries is dificult to hunt without a horse because elk will be located deep into the WMA. Is there a outfitter with animals or packer around Chama that could be recommended. Any local knowledge help with my homework would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Cbeck

I have hunted the humphries for deer twice and been in that area hiking and scouting several times. There are lot's of elk in that area, and they are a good distance from the highway. However, it definitely can be done without a horse. You'd most likely be quartering out your animal and making a few trips, but nothing terrible. Most of the terrain is lower rolling hills. The one range that's run's east/west through the southern end of the humphries is very steep and impassible in many places. However, I've seen lot's of elk much lower than that and have seen some big bulls in the lower elevations. if you don't have a horse, make sure to pack your walkin shoes but it's nothing to bad. Good luck!

My sister's boy friend and his dad drew bull tags there last year they were able to harvest a 5x6 and had many other opportunites and they did not have horses or any elk hunting experience. good luck.

muliefanatic

if u want try RIO CHAMA for elk..it is more easier to hike in than Humphries..but both have elk!

Good luck!

vinihunt

Thanks...My topo does show the Rio Chama to have a few roads that you can work from if they are driveable.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom