Hunt Adventure Challenge

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Well, come the end of the year the 2010 Hunt Adventure Challenge is over. We've had about 50 people document their hunts, and there is some good stuff in there.
As the beginning of the new year gets rolling, we will need to select winners, so I'm asking all of you to help us out in selecting winners.....PLEASE!

Here's the details on how the winners should be picked:
"The winner will be the one who shares the best overall story. It'll be the person who most makes us feel like we were apart of their 2010 hunting season, almost as though we were there with them throughout it all. In addition, the winner will be chosen based on the story that is the most fun, exciting, and rewarding."

Please folks, if you haven't already read through the different threads, please do when you have some time. As we get closer to the end of the year, I will begin a thread or two looking for your input on who the winners should be.

Based on what you've read so far, what are you thinking? Maybe we can get it narrowed down to some finalists over the next few weeks.

Thanks,

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Good reading for sure on the HAC page.

Maybe get it down to top 5 vote getters by DEC 31st and go with the 5 finalist for the final voting?

Robb

How about we narrow it down to atleast the top 7? The top 7 will win something.

Hunt Adventure Challenge Prizes:[ol]
[li]Fully Guided Wyoming Trophy Mule Deer Hunt with Big Country Outfitters. Winner will be guided by MonsterMuleys.com Founder, Brian Latturner. (Hunt will included your license.) Plus, the 1st place winner will receive an Outdoorsmans Pack System Backpack valued at $450.00. ($4000.00+ Value)
[font size=-1]** Note: Winner can opt to except $500.00 cash instead of the Wyoming deer license and guided hunt.[/font]
[li]Outdoorsmans Tripod w/ Pistol Grip & Outdoorsmans Pack System Backpack. ($900.00+ Value)
[li]$200.00 cash & Western Hunter Sleeping Bag ($600.00+ Value)
[li]$100.00 cash & 10 Day Wilderness Athelete Kit ($200.00+ Value)
[li]$100.00 cash & MonsterMuleys.com Hat & T-shirt
[li]$50.00 cash & MonsterMuleys.com Hat & T-shirt
[li]$50.00 cash & MonsterMuleys.com Hat & T-shirt
[/ol]

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I like the one By SilentStalker titled "Book Cliffs Double Team (Archery Elk).
I felt like I was there with him all summer and fall

I like the idea of getting it down to 7 people and then doing a vote. That was a really fun forum on MM.

Thanks Founder

Dillon

well if i had my pick then you'd be goin on a hunt with yourself cause hunt adventure was my favorite by far. looked forward to your podcasts. predators was good as well as ladyshooters.

My favorite was Predator hands down! I felt like i was there during her Wyoming experience. I know she isn't done yet but what's been documented so far has been great as she is a very gifted writer.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

for my top picks I have to go by the rules set for the challenge and this will cut out some good reads. but rules are rules.

when I interpreted the rules I read them to be for this hunting season and this hunting season alone from beginning to end. So this means all the filler photos of years past hunting trips have to be out. All the filler stories of years past are out.
It also has to be a successful hunt meaning they did tag what they were after.

So for me this narrows it down considerably and unfortunately rules out several guys and gals I would love to see win something.

C3 gets my top vote
ridgtop gets my second vote
founder lol can it be possible he wins his own contest?

then it would have to be HJB only because of one filler photo or he IMHO would have been in the running for first but this could extremely nit picky.

Then in no particular order
predator
silentstalker
broadside shot
BB
lady shooter

If midnight would have tagged he would be in the list of guys above.

Loved reading and following everyone's stories. Hope it continues into next year!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

The harder you work the luckier you will get!!

A person doesn't have to kill an animal to win the contest. Here's the criteria I set when we got it going......

7 - At the end of the year, we'll pick winners. Users of the site, myself, and moderators will decide on winners based on which threads are most exciting, packed with video and photos, with the best animals, etc. Whether you're going guided this year or DIY, share your adventures with us all....from beginning to end. Tell us about your pre-season training, scouting, shooting exercises and practices, a little about each day of your hunts, photos, some video, some live game if possible, and hopefully some harvested game. It's possible for someone who comes up emptied-hand altogether this year to win. It's about the whole package!

BUT, I personally think it does add to a story if an animal is harvested during the year......???????

Here's a link to the thread about the contest.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID50/2.html

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Okay 7 it is!

Are you going to set up a link that we can just check our top picks?

How many can ya vote for like pick 10? or 7 or?

Or do we just blert out our picks? ha

WapitiBob--Predator--C3---SilentStalker---BB----Midnight----would certainly be on my list.

Robb

I thought a lot of the HACs were hard to understand. Many of them had a lot of scattered subjects and pics from the past. I know I participated, so not sure if I have a say in it or not. Obviously I'm a fan of my HAC (2010 Pahvant Adventure) :) But I would also like to say that I really enjoyed "C3's" San Juan HAC. I also liked "Utahmulies" Henry Mtn HAC.

Good luck to everyone.

These are the ones I followed most closely. Very entertaining for sure! Thanks to all for your time in putting your adventures together and sharing.

Predator - Dream Catching
Midnight - Midnight Madness
Adventurewriter - Wild as the wind
Ladyshooter - I feel a good year
Bugleboy - Quest for Titan
BuglinBilly - BB's Badlands and books
Dillon - Hoyt vs Sharpie
HJB - My 2010 Pahvant

Founder,

Why not go out to Zoomerang and set up a vote. You could list them all and have everyone vote. Way easier for you to keep track of.

zoomerang.com

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-10 AT 10:00AM (MST)[p]I am loving ridgetop's, Quest for the Big One, but he is still telling the story. I know his hunt didn't end until a few weeks ago, so how about letting him finish before you end the contest?

My vote is for:

HJB - great story and a LOT if info
C3 - loved it for his diligence
Silentstalker - always good

My vote is for Silent Stalker! He had some great photos and video and I felt like I was there with him the whole time. Great read!

Here are a few I really enjoyed:

Silenstalker - in the spirit of full disclosure, he is my brother but did a great job capturing all that happened this fall :)

BB
Broadside_Shot
Predator
LadyShooter
C3
Utahmulies
Midnight

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-10 AT 03:43PM (MST)[p]I'm still waitng for the endings.

Will Adventurewriter get his high country elk?
Will Ridgetops get his desert sheep?
What size elk did Predator get in Arizona?
Will Chase get a huge Ibex?
Will 4finger get his mountain goat?
ETC
ETC
ETC

I think you should set a deadline for finishing before we have to narrow it down. I think there is still some great stuff to come.

heartshot

I can't vote for myself so here are a few authors I really enjoyed reading.

In no particular order:

Cowslayer
BB
Predator
Lady Shooters
Utah Mulies
Broadside shot
C3

Good luck to all of ya! This was an awesome idea and I hope it continues next year!

I'm with ya heartshot. I didn't realize there were so many unfinished. I'm not sure how I gorgot about 4finger as I was following that one pretty close, another great hac to follow. I think thw whole hac idea was great and had a blast following several of them.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

My favorites:

Founder
Cowslayer
Silentstalker
Predator
Broadsideshot

Those are my top 5. However, they were all good and took a lot of effort and time to document it. Thanks to all for sharing. Maybe, if the tag gods smile my way this year I may be able to do something like that.

It's always an adventure!!!

Don't forget about CUPSY!

Should be a big write up the first part of the week!

I think he wants to hunt with Founder in Wyoming!:D

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

Well my vote would have to be Silent Stalker. His luck the last couple of years has been amazing. It was fun to be able to listen in on the adventure and to see him bringing up the next generation...... After all, thats whats it's all about.

My top picks are:

Predator
utahmulies
silentstalker
BB
Midnight
HJB
Ladyshooter

Thought this whole thing might be kind of goofy and in the end of the day, there are some incredible stories here that we got to see develope before our eyes.

Cheers,
Pete

How about all Hunt Adventure Challenge threads need to be complete by the end of the year??? That gives time for everyone to finish up. Plus, some may still have hunts to go on..........

Let's make it the end of the year. At that time, maybe I can setup a vote or something. But, people, please keep sharing who you all think should be in that top 7, then we'll use a vote to narrow it down, but of course the MM moderators and staff will also have votes that are worth a lot. The best adventure thread needs to win. We don't want someone to win just cause they have lots of friends who vote for them.

Please, vote for the BEST, not your buddies. Please.......

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I don't know. I had hoped that we would have gotten closer to 100 adventure threads going this year, but had closer to 50. So, I don't know. Not sure why more people didn't want to participate. If I do it again, I probably won't get it rolling until summer time though.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

My personal favorite (there were a bunch of good ones) was The Great Adventure by BearCat. A 70" Alaska moose, DIY. Awesome IMO

Eel

C3
Predator
HJB
Silentstalker
BB
Ladyshooter
UtahMulies

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

PREDATOR told her story so well I felt like I was right there when she pounded that big bull! Founder was another of my favorites...

top 5 unbiased in no particular order and why I liked them.

C3, loved the quality of video, loved the quality of the photos, felt like I was there. The dude did it one on one with the elk and kicked his 25 year drought of not killing anything with his once in a life time archery elk tag. He also had max points and still chose to do it with a bow. Talk about pressure!

HJB loved all the preparation he did with his hunt ie trail cam photos, ect. He had a goal to take one of the three top bulls on the hill and he got the job done.

Predator what can you say bad about a woman showing us guys how its done. She has a way with words that made the story easy to read and she took some impressive animals.

Ridgtop loved the video, photos of his sheep hunt. I also liked the filler photos of the over the counter general bucks they took. To me it shows what you can do when you put the boot leather to the ground. O did I say he took the new pending state record ram. Way to go and he better finish his story or he will get bumped out of the top 7 in my book! The competition is too tight at the top.

runner up
Mignight only because he did not tag. I feel to be the winner in this competition you had to tag! Mignight is a good friend of mine and loved going out with him on his hunt. I followed every post every time he posted. I don't think out of any of the guys I picked above him put in as much time scouting or hunting as Garry did this year. Actually I can guarantee that! I loved reading his post and followed it while I was out of town.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

The harder you work the luckier you will get!!

#1 Katorade. Who would benefit most from a guided hunt than a young man? I read most all HAC posts, all were great but some were too much like a novel. Katorades were short sweet and about the hunt. I grew up hunting the front and his posts really took me back to my younger days as a novice archer on the front.
#2 founder, loved the pod casts! I'd download them and then watch 'em when I was spiked out on my own deer hunt.

I've enjoyed following ridgetops on his bighorn sheep hunt. Makes it more fun since I have watched them sheep a few times. Great story and awesome pics!! Ridgetops has to be top 7.

I loved the story by Silentstalker< he has my vote. I was in the Bookcliffs this year and I never set foot in the place is how I feel.

Here are my Top Ten in random order that are deserving of recognition.

Founder-
for getting this going. You showcased every outing. I read every post, motivated me the most to get up in the hills. Showed how simple it is to narrate your hunt. I love the idea and will use my own photos and stories to share with my family for years to come.

C3-
Excellent photos of the entire San Juan Trip. Love all the pre-scouting. Felt like I knew of the bulls. 25 years was climaxed excellent with detail by detail of the great bull at Pine Wallows

BB-
The one that motivated me to pick up a camera and has influenced us all. I can't thank him enough for all that he has given me as I was a young buck in the archery world. Best antelope and Best stalk photos with Cody on his buck. Excellent preparation for an area. Best well planned blind and Best last minute blind maker by far! You deserve a Spot locator GPS for all the bad luck.

4Finger-
I was impressed. Mt. Goats aren't found by the road. They head straight to the top! Your getting after it with your surgery and all. Good to see you can draw with one arm if necessary. You have my iron horse award.

Predator-
Loved the Horse wreck narration. Incredible bull story. Told the story like I was right there. I was shared in your emotion of taking a great bull!

BEARCAT-
BEST Friend in the field was your buddy in AK. Most animated for going to the AK wilderness. Excellent posts. Liked your enthusiasm. Best AK Bull Moose of the year!I learned about your gear. Things I didn't know. I want to get a camp stove.

Silentstalker-
Best patient hunter in HAC. I know the drill of sitting in stands forever. Great documentation day by day. Trail Cameras were dialed in and you definitely showcased the animals you were hunting.

Bugle Boy-
Best Drama in Real Life. You nearly scared me to death. RAMBO is you new name by the way. Dropping out of your tree stand in the middle of the night while building it was scary. Good thing you got big guns for arms. They hung up in the branch and saved your life. I know where you hunt and you were consistently getting after it several times a week with some serious vertical. Your pack out weighed you every trip. Titan will be back, if not you might find a his big brother in another canyon.

Ladyshooter-
I don't know what else you could have done to post or write up your adventures to put me in your hunt as you went on your trips. You deserved the AK trip and hope you win another to New Zealand.

Ridgetops-
Excellent story and photos for his adventures.

Honorable Mentions;
Those guys that are getting at it so hard that they haven't even posted.

I know guys that were hunting more than I some of them will not show or detail hunts as to not draw attention to their location or themselves. I respect that. It is easier for me to post information about my adventures in AZ than I posted here on the Wasatch Front.

This have been a blast. I enjoy sharing with those that like to read it. I've been rewarded enough by just getting out there. I hope this helps someone get a hunt they deserve and could use.

Good Luck fellow HAC and MM'ers.

Midnight

Midnight at the least should win Hunting Ambassador of the Year for those wonderfully insightful comments!

It has been a total blast for me as well to not only share my season bu read about everyone else's.

My picks in no particular order are:
Founder
Silentstalker
C3
Midnight
HJB
BearCat
Ladyshooter

Thanks for the opportunity, Founder!!

Pred

I wish I had time to keep up with them all! I'm sure there were lots of good ones I didn't read.

The ones I liked and followed most were:
Founder
Ladyshooter
Midnight
Bearcat
HJB
C3
Maineflatlander

Silentstalker gets my vote, but I enjoyed every one of them. It is amazing when you think of all the amazing hunting adventures going on each year. What a great way to 'journal entry' your hunt experiences to remember and appreciate them. Congrats to everyone that participated.

There were a lot of good stories and my favorite was
The Great Adventure-hard to pass up the DYI and end up with a 70 inch moose!

4finger is second and still waiting for his ending-hoping he tags a big billy.

I have been taking the time to read atleast one full thread a day.

I have to admit that my Top 7 has been modified.

I gotta bring YELUM into the Top 7.

Robb

I vote for Utah Mulies, he killed a nice buck and has one hell of a preseason work ethic.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-10 AT 02:55PM (MST)[p]Tough to pick there are so many good stories.

My votes:

#1 Bearcat
#2 Predator
#3 Founder ( can you win your own deal?, where is the fine print? :)
#4 CowSlayer - given #3 is Founder

Cheers and may the BEST author/story win!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-10 AT 04:28PM (MST)[p]I have several I've really enjoyed. Not in order just my 7 favorite.

1. Ladyshooter - I know I'm biased, but I do think my wife did a great job. I'm lucky to have a wife that gets after it like she does. She had a great year, I wish I could have tagged along on the sheep hunt, maybe someday I can go.
2. Chase - I'm waiting for the conclusion but I look every time he posts. Hopefully someday I will have the opportunity to hunt these animals.
3. Midnight - Good posts even if he didn't kill, he took us along for all the prep and all the work. Having hunted the Wasatch for years I love to see others stories from that unit.
4. Bugle boy - same reasons as midnight
5. Predator - Probably the best hunt story and pics.
6. C3 - had a chance to meet him soon after he killed. I was already following his adventure on his posts. It was great to see the excitement for the whole experience. Having hunted on the San Juan my whole life I loved seeing his pics. And video.
7 Founder - I know it doesn't count but he followed all the guidelines of the challenge and did a great job documenting his year.

There were several others I read every post and really enjoyed all who participated.

my vote is for chase, his videos are great. i felt like he put forth great effort to bring us along on his hunt.

"Shoot Straight"

My favorites in no particular order

WapitiBob FishLake Archery, 2010
Ridgetops A Quest for the Big One
4finger Once in a lifetime Mtn.Goat...
Chase New Mexico Ibex Adventure
Founder Founder's 2010 Hunt Adventures
buglinbilly BB's Badlands and Bookciffs
BearCat THE GREAT ADVENTURE!!
Predator Dream Catching
Adventurewriter Wild as the WInd
bugleboy Quest for Titan
c3 Lucky 25 - A year on the San J...
fatrooster Big Buck or Tag Soup?

I'm casting a vote for anyone other than BearCat.

That was not HIS hunt. From what 102 posts told me, he didn't get in shape, didn't scout, didn't provide a lot of the supplies, and didn't even pack it out. Doesn't sound like a "DIY" hunt to me.

Second, why did it take one HUNDRED posts to tell us a story that could have been told in one?

Third, if you have to send messages out to everyone you know encouraging them to sign up for accounts just to pseudo-vote for your "great adventure," maybe your adventure wasn't all that great afterall...

LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-10 AT 11:14AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-10 AT 11:12?AM (MST)

ToolHunter,

As with everyone on this site you have the right to your opinion and you have the choice to vote for anyone you would like, as well as, to say what you like.

But I would like to address a couple of your issues:

1. I believe Founder wanted us to "bring the hunter along" with us on our quest, and if that takes 10 posts or 102 posts I do not believe he put a limit on it but it appears you know a lot more than me!

2. As far as getting in shape, I guess you must have watched me to know about the diet I went on and the nightly runs, as well as, you must have been shadowing me on the steep hikes that I would go on with friends.

3. And I guess you were with Ernesto and I on all of the days we hiked up in Alaska and the pack out and even though I did not pack out as much as Ernesto, I would challenge ANY of you to keep up with this stud!!!

4. And yes Ernesto did a large chunk of the research, but do not fret because I was doing my own research and planning that is for sure! I guess that is what it means to hunt with friends where we each do the pieces we can.

5. And finally I did not blast everyone with messages like many others, but if you do mean that I got fellow friends and devote hunters to sign up to become members and to vote IF they liked the story--then yes I am to blame. But hey do you not think that is what Founder wanted was to increase traffic, try different media (video, chat etc.) and bring on new hunters? I also sent out an email only to those that wanted a chance at the backpack and had already put in a guess (oh yes sorry for giving away my prizes--how many others did that?).

Anyway I do not see anyone blasting others that had FREE hunts or even paid to be GUIDED, but hey this is not what Founder had in mind for this section!!!!! I LOVED to hear about all the other's hunts no matter how they were funded, who they went with, or if they got their animals that is for dang sure. I hope that my hunt brought some laughter, and maybe some knowledge that might help others (how many have tried the blue flames yet?).

If I do not win that is fine with me!!!! It was never about that for me and as I mentioned on the very first post it was about saying thanks to my friends. And if you really wanted to know the truth it was ALWAYS going to be offered FIRST to Ernesto if I won!!! I guess you got the cat out of the bag way to go--you the man!!! Ernesto I guess you now know why I was asking you all the questions.- Bad me for giving ALL of my gifts away if I won--I am so selfish!!!!

Well I hope that everyone has a Merry Christmas and I am off to try and get a couple of cow elk, but hey maybe I will just call ToolHunter to help out since he/she has it all figured out.

Everyone be Safe and get out and enjoy!!

Dean

WOW, Ridgetop came screetch'n in on two wheels with a hell of a finish. For sure his adventure has to been amongst the top few! Thanks for sharing it and congrats and an awesome ram!

+! To ForkWest,
I love his story and to kill a State Record Ram is impressive!
Great video clips of some amazing animals.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom