Huntin Fool hunt raffle

BigPig

Very Active Member
First of all, please resist the temptation to turn this into a HF bash fest.

Has any one actually won a hunt in one of their raffles? Or even know anyone who has? I know a lot of HF members, yet I don't know anyone who has won a hunt. Are that many people buying tickets to where the odds are that bad?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-12 AT 07:53AM (MST)[p]No, can't say I personally know or ever recgonised the name of anyone who has won. I think I once saw somebody post here that they knew someone who won. They do post a list of names after each draw. They never release ticket sales or draw odds on that one. You have to figure they are making money on it if they continue to do it. They claim to pay full price for the hunts. It isn't a charity; it is a make money for the buisness raffle. That kind of takes the good feel donation angle out of that raffle. Put all that together, and yes, they have to be selling a lot of tickets and draw odds have to be very low....

Don't know anyone who has won, never even heard of anyone winning which is why I don't play. There are other more transparent options out there.

Planning on buying a ticket for the first time this year. I will post pics of the hunt when I win it. Since I missed out on the henries tag this year at the expo, I think I deserve this hunt.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

For crying out loud! HF should post the odds of the previous years raffles! They provide odds to all the other state draw hunts for a fee but can't seem to post the odds of their own PREVIOUS raffles. UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE!!!!!
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

Them not posting the odds is a joke. I have talked to the guy that won the stone sheep hunt a couple years ago. I was looking to go on a moose hunt with Gundahoo and i noticed he was from pretty close to me in WI. i did a search on his name called him and had a great talk about his hunt and his praise of Gundahoo. I had an awesome moose hunt with Gundahoo. Actually i got an email from HF the other day saying they are going to use my story in the Oct issue of that hunt.

I played the raffle game the first two years and spent a small fortune. HF would boast how great the odds are versus public draw hunts. I decided to spend my money at RMEF raffles where
the money goes towards conservation efforts and not to finace
Garth's future hunting trips. Besides, I have had much better luck in the RMEF raffles.

I used to participate but no more. Like others I do not need to buy Garth's personal hunting trips. I'm confident that he is making alot of money on the deal and that odds are horible. If he posted them most people would quit buying tickets. Also I think money from raffles should go for the betterment of wildlife.

Think I'll buy a ticket or 2. I've drawn my 1st choice NV mule deer hunt (2NR tags) and a WYO Commissioners tag, I'm on a roll!

Going to Las Vegas in July....LOL

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I understand not wanting to fund Garth's hunts, but I'm not really concerned about opinions on his raffle. I'm just trying to figure out if anyone actually wins the hunts. I never seem to hear about it.

>What would the taxes be on
>the Stone Sheep hunt?

Your tax bracket % on about $40 k. Lots of scratch, but still cheaper than buying a hunt I guess. Do they seriously 1099 ya?

I won the 2008 Mexico mule deer hunt, very eye opening flew into hermisio Mexico and talked a Buddie into going with me he paid full price for the the hunt. we stayed rite next door to a pig farm ! the smell is something I WILL NEVER FORGET ! my Buddie harvested on the the 3rd day an average 25" desert deer , I held out and had a chance at a whopper 200 " plus deer on the 5th day across ranch boundary lines were it was clearly posted ( peligro no trespadas )one of the guys in camp the night before had gotten into big trouble for killing a deer on a neighboring ranch what a ##### show ! I held out and never did harvest ! was it a once in a lifetime experience hell ya ! but a shitty outfitter that the huntin fool had chosen ? hell ya !I think some guys' get a great hunt in that draw but for me that ##### was bunk ! great eye opener ! I personally think they make a ##### load of money off the (MEMBERSHIP DRIVES ) !that is my 2 cents do with that what you will !

They obviously make a $hit ton of money of these or they wouldn't constantly be having a membership drive and raffling off all those hunts. Assuming they paid even 50% of the full price they have to sell a lot of tickets and/or bring in a ton of new members. I've never bought any tickets and likely won't unless they post some sort of odds. They are a private enterprise so they can do what they want with their raffles, I just won't participate.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

I'm thinking they must be making tons$$ as well on the raffles. Have you ever noticed how many emails you'll get reminding you to purchase tickets or how many seperate mailings they mail you reminding you to purchase tickets? THe postage alone on all that wouldn't be cheap. What about the email they sent out right before this last drawing with a video attached to the email showing the boxes of tickets and that their really weren't many tickets in there. Yeah, they're making the money on the raffles! But, purchasing a ticket does increase your odds of drawing one of those hunts. 1 ticket is better than zero tickets. Me personally, I don't buy the tickets. If they published the odds, even if they were 1 and 500, I might get a little more serious about purchasing one. At least you'd know.

Odds wise, I wonder if it's just like applying for some premium tags in another state, or worse? If I dropped $50-200 in tickets, that would cost about like applying in yet another western state for something like a sheep/goat/moose tag. So I wonder if odds are better or worse? If I'm gonna spend the money (philosophical objections aside), should I pick another state or roll it with the Carter's?

They say they are buying these hunts,close to 170,000 bucks they must be selling a lot of tickets? 170,000 divided by 50 dollars a ticket would be 3400 hundred tickets right?That is just to break even.17 hunts 17 buckets with 200 tickets each would be 3400 tickets.That would be 1 in 200 odds for each bucket.These aren't the fact's but just something to think about.

So with nearly 10,000 members, thats only .34 tickets per member. I don't know the Carter's personally, but they are simply making a living doing what they love. I've been a member on and off for several years now and think it is easily worth $100/year. Enough with the jealousy and I'm pretty sure that the raffle drawing is open to the public!!

Yep. I won the CO unit 21 hunt last year. I will second the opinion about the outfitter choice though. I shoulda just taken the tag and hunted with Littlebighorn!!!

Ed

If you ain't the lead dog,
the view never changes

My old man won a hunt, mabey 10 years ago. Back in the day when he would re new his subscription they would automatically give a ticket or 2 into the raffles with out having to purchase them. Also, dont they now have a raffle broke down for each hunt? I know when he won it all the hunts where lumped together. He won a Mt Lion hunt in Colorado. I dont buy any raffle tickets through Huntin Fool, have better ways to spend my money.

Everyone, member or not, can get one free entry per the mail in method in the offical rules. You just have to be over 21 and have a hunter safety certificate.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom