Hunting above Gunnison

CWeeks

My hunting partner and his friend have third season rifle deer tags and I'm going to help out and check the area out to see if I want to burn my points next year or give the area more time to recover. We planned on taking my truck, but I traded last year and my chains will not fit the tires that are on it now. Not really wanting to buy new chains as I don't plan on replacing tires with same size, so my question is how necessary will they likely be? We will have one four wheeler, thanks for any advise.

You may not be able to get to Gunnison without one set.
I know we have had several mild falls but I have seen us snow up the end of October several times
In my life, and we are over DUE! You can risk it, and if you need them (Probable) Monty?s auto parts and the Local NAPA will take care of you. I would advise a set of 4 for the ATV also. Our ATV dealers have lots of those.
I actually needed a set on my Rubicon ARCHERY! I fitted all 4 and put them in a cooler before first.
1 inch in Parlin this morning. Snowing lightly in Crested Butte right now. Just do it ($$$) GOOD INVESTMENT. You WILL need them.

Thanks,
Kinda figured as much but hadn't even thought about chains for the ATV. May just wait and pick some up in Gunnison, don't have a lot of use for them in Alabama, so kind of difficult to find. Usually out west during archery hunts, so not used to planning on real bad traveling weather.

I'm kind of a know it all SOB. And several years ago I was actually RIGHT... once.
My 2013 November hunting condition forecast calls for
4 chains daily. Ax or saw needed every other day.
Shovel twice in 5 days, Winch will be needed once a season..
Body damage... likely. But I'm not a very good driver.
You guys should have a good Deer hunt.

It's better to have and not need then to need and not have. I've only had one long, cold, muddy walk out. I don't intend to have another. Add snow on top of that and it can become a life risking situation in our part of the world if you are not well prepared.

On October 4 I and another guy rode Doctor Park (in the Gunnison area) on our mtn bikes and at 10880 feet I flatted out my front tubeless tire a half hour before dark, it was 18 degrees F and 4" of snow. If we had not been prepared to deal with all problems, including bivouacing if needed, it would have sucked. Instead it was a fun ride out in the dark.

Tomichi,

We saw one group setting up tents with a huge stack of hay just before entering the dark timber, near the top. There was also one tent by itself just over the top.

You can likely modify your existing chains to fit. You can shorten or extend the main side chains and add or delete cross chains as required. This will work unless you are going to a much wider tire.
I modified my set that we're originally for 33x10.5 to fit 35x12.5. I just added about 6" of length and one cross chain to each. Picked up the pieces at a local farm/ tractor supply store.
They are a little narrow but I also picked up a couple more tensioners to keep them on. Only use them at slow speed anyway.
Good luck on your hunt
Brian

Thanks Brian, My brother-in-law has had mine in Wy but should be home tonight, I'll see what I can do. Talked to Mike and he said you would be out in the area too, maybe we'll see you out there, good luck. Clark

What a diffrence 2 weeks make. I was WRONG!
Forget the tire chains...bring a dust mask!
a little snow Tue / Wed then more hot and dry.
It used to SNOW in this valley....really it did.

I added a few links to my old chains and got them to fit my rear tires, but fronts were too wide and there is a bar too close and would rub. Heading out tonight after work and plan on arriving tomorrow evening. Think the lack of weather will put too much of a damper on the deer hunting?

Yes, The damper is on. I only have 12 deer in my meadow
right now. 08:05 No bucks. Saw some very small deer leave
on the atv racks this week. You have a good plan coming with
your friends this year before you commit.

I arrived in 63 monday afternoon. Not seeing anything on public.
Saw a couple decent bucks on private south of Crawford.
Getting some snow and fog right now. Tough to scout when you can't see!!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom