Hunting opportunity in Maui

Chacoblue777

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-17 AT 01:59AM (MST)[p]Hi all,

Didn't see a Hawaii forum, so guess I will put it here. I will be in Maui in mid-June and thought I would see if I could squeeze in a day or two of hunting. I would be most interested in Axis deer, which I hear are plentiful and a bit of a nuisance there. Does anyone know how hunting on Maui works? Can I buy some sort of OTC license, or do I even need one for an invasive species? Finally, anyone have first-hand experiences or connections they would be willing to share about hunting on Maui? I would only be interested in free range animals, no fenced in critters.

Thanks in advance

Don't know about Maui but I have hunted the big Island several times for sheep and goats. Both are considered invasive there. The irony is that while they treat them as such and even have contract mass slaughters of them from helicopter, you still need a license and permit. If axis are anything like this, it cost me about a C note for everything non resident if I remember right.

Know your stuff ahead of time in terms of what you need. The clerk at the wally mart will usually be about as helpful as teats on a board hog and look at you like a space invader when you try and buy a license.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

1911, Vanilla,

Thank you both for your comments and replies. Will look into it more, and think I will give it a shot! Hunting Axis deer one day, and the next day soaking up rays on the beach? Not a combination I will likely be able to experience many times!

Kind regards, and good luck in the draw season!!

There are plenty of pigs on Oprah Winfreys ranch. She hates them as they eat her flowers. She wants them gone!

Chaco,

Now that I think of it, those are all gonna be low fence hunts. They are caged in by the Pacific Ocean. :)
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Before you go to Maui you will need to get a non-residence exemption number before you get a license. After you have that number then you can get a hunting license. Don't wait to do this. Hawaiian government officials aren't as fast or efficient as our mainland ones. It may take longer than expected to get your number and license.
I would look up Maui Hunting Safaris. You will have a cool hunt. Make sure you bring all the Axis deer meat home. It is the best meat ever.
Have fun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom