Hunting/outdoor book

Muleman1

Very Active Member
What’s your favorite outdoor or hunting books?
I’m almost done with the CJ box series on joe Pickett need some new reading material for the tent at night up on the mountain any suggestions?

Box is good. I've read all of them over the years, including his latest -- Dark Sky.

Though they aren't hunting related, another good read is the series by John MacDonald, which were written a few decades back. The 21 books in the series, which each contain a color in the title, detail the adventurous life of Travis McGee. If you decide to try them, be sure to read at least the first couple in order. Like Box, MacDonald introduces different characters with each now rendering.

From Wikipedia:

Travis McGee lives on a 52-foot houseboat dubbed The Busted Flush. The boat is named after the circumstances in which he won the boat in what McGee describes as a "poker siege" of 30 hours of intensive effort in Palm Beach - the run of luck started with a bluff of four hearts (2-3-7-10) and a club (2), which created a "busted flush," as described in Chapter 3 of The Deep Blue Good-by. The boat is generally docked at slip F-18 at Bahia Mar Marina, Fort Lauderdale, Florida. A self-described "beach bum" who "takes his retirement in installments", he prefers to take on new cases only when the spare cash (besides a reserve fund) in a hidden safe in the Flush runs low. McGee also owns a custom 1936 vintage Rolls-Royce that had been converted into a pickup truck by some previous owner long before he bought it, and another previous owner painted it "that horrid blue". McGee named it Miss Agnes, after one of his elementary school teachers whose hair was the same shade.

McGee's business card reads "Salvage Consultant", and most business comes by word of mouth. His clients are usually people who have been deprived of something important and/or valuable (typically by unscrupulous or illegal means) and have no way to regain it lawfully. McGee's usual fee is half the value of the item (if recovered) with McGee risking expenses, and those who object to such a seemingly high fee are reminded that getting back half of something is better than owning all of nothing. Although the missing items are usually tangible (e.g., rare stamps, jewels, etc.), in several books McGee is asked to locate a missing person; in one, the stolen property is a client's reputation. In several instances, he shows a marked propensity to exact revenge, usually for the ill-treatment or death of one of his few real friends.

McGee does have a sidekick of sorts, in his best friend Meyer, an internationally known and respected economist who lives on a cabin cruiser of his own near McGee's at Bahia Mar, the John Maynard Keynes, and later, after the Keynes is blown up, aboard its replacement, the Thorstein Veblen.

The Deep Blue Good-by (1964)

Nightmare in Pink (1964)

A Purple Place for Dying (1964)

The Quick Red Fox (1964)

A Deadly Shade of Gold (1965)

Bright Orange for the Shroud (1965)

Darker than Amber (1966)

One Fearful Yellow Eye (1966)

Pale Gray for Guilt (1968)

The Girl in the Plain Brown Wrapper (1968)

Dress Her in Indigo (1969)

The Long Lavender Look (1970)

A Tan and Sandy Silence (1971)

The Scarlet Ruse (1972)

The Turquoise Lament (1973)

The Dreadful Lemon Sky (1974)

The Empty Copper Sea (1978)

The Green Ripper (1979)

Free Fall in Crimson (1981)

Cinnamon Skin (1982)

The Lonely Silver Rain (1984)

Whoops, almost forgot.

Another old series that wasn't too bad was by Nevada Barr. The main character is Anna Pigeon, a ranger for the U.S. National Park Service. Most of the books are about murders committed in the national parks, often the result of natural resource clashes.

1. Track of the Cat (1993)
Guadalupe Mountains National Park in Texas

2. A Superior Death (1994)
Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior, Michigan

3. Ill Wind (1995)
Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado

4. Firestorm (1996)
Lassen Volcanic National Park

5. Endangered Species (1997)
Cumberland Island National Seashore of the coast of Georgia

6. Blind Descent (1998)
Carlsbad Caverns National Park in New Mexico

7. Liberty Falling (1999)
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island National Monuments in New York City.

8. Deep South (2000)
Natchez Trace Parkway in Mississippi

9. Blood Lure (2001)
Glacier/Waterton National Peace Park in Montana

10. Hunting Season (2002)

11. Flashback (2003)
Dry Tortugas National Park, a grouping of tiny islands seventy miles off Key West

12. High Country (2004)
Yosemite National Park in California

13. Hard Truth (2005)
Rocky Mountain's National Park, Colorado

14. Winter Study (2008)

15. Borderline (2009)
Big Bend National Park in Texas

16. Burn (2010)
New Orleans, Louisiana

17. The Rope (2012)
Glen Canyon National Recreational Area

18. Destroyer Angel (2014)
Iron Range in northern Minnesota

19. Boar Island (2016)
Acadia National Park in Maine

Whoops, almost forgot.

Another old series that wasn't too bad was by Nevada Barr. The main character is Anna Pigeon, a ranger for the U.S. National Park Service. Most of the books are about murders committed in the national parks, often the result of natural resource clashes.

1. Track of the Cat (1993)
Guadalupe Mountains National Park in Texas

2. A Superior Death (1994)

3. Ill Wind (1995)
Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado

4. Firestorm (1996)
Lassen Volcanic National Park

5. Endangered Species (1997)
Cumberland Island National Seashore of the coast of Georgia

6. Blind Descent (1998)
Carlsbad Caverns National Park in New Mexico

7. Liberty Falling (1999)
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island National Monuments in New York City.

8. Deep South (2000)

9. Blood Lure (2001)
Glacier/Waterton National Peace Park in Montana

10. Hunting Season (2002)

11. Flashback (2003)
Dry Tortugas National Park, a grouping of tiny islands seventy miles off Key West

12. High Country (2004)
Yosemite National Park in California

13. Hard Truth (2005)
Rocky Mountain's National Park, Colorado

14. Winter Study (2008)

15. Borderline (2009)
Big Bend National Park in Texas

16. Burn (2010)
New Orleans, Louisiana

17. The Rope (2012)
Glen Canyon National Recreational Area

18. Destroyer Angel (2014)
Iron Range in northern Minnesota

19. Boar Island (2016)
Acadia National Park in Maine
If you like fiction you should check out Tony Mandile. I heard he has some tall tales.... :LOL:

If you like fiction you should check out Tony Mandile. I heard he has some tall tales.... :LOL:
More like a reality based comedy TV show.

tenorC.gif

What’s your favorite outdoor or hunting books?
I’m almost done with the CJ box series on joe Pickett need some new reading material for the tent at night up on the mountain any suggestions?
love that series. kinda surprised no ones picked up on that...

If I had $450 burning a hole in my pocket I would get this. I only have 1 left out of the 3 books of his I had. Other were never returned when I lent then out. Great reading. Full of short stories of his adventures.

AF9BCCD7-F25C-4EA8-B28D-1F79C357ABB6.png

I've been all through the Box books, so I had my bride pick me up five of Nevada Barr's books at the library the other day. I just started reading the first one (only one with LARGE print!) this morning. Will give a book report when done. :rolleyes:

Tony Hillerman( R.I.P.) has a series about a reservation cop in northern Az near the 4 corners area. Gives a look into the native culture as well as the main mystery. GREAT series. I was bummed when he passed. Like Box, I've read them all.

Tony Hillerman( R.I.P.) has a series about a reservation cop in northern Az near the 4 corners area. Gives a look into the native culture as well as the main mystery. GREAT series. I was bummed when he passed. Like Box, I've read them all.
I wasn't aware of that series. The Navajo reservation I assume?

That is correct. It's better if you read them in order. I have a feeling you'd like the series!!
You're probably right. BUT...I just started the Nevada Barr series, which is about 20 or so books. I just started the first one & have four others in waiting, so if I live long enough, it'll be a while. :ROFLMAO:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom