hunting radios

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID5/20961.html

Saw this post a while back and someone referenced these. Did some looking and they look interesting but can't find anyone that knows anything about them.

http://www.huntingradios.com/index.html

We just need to find out what kind of radio's guys like Doyle and them use. Probably requires an FCC License, but may be worth it if you want radios that truly work.

I have Motorolas and they are pretty much worthless except for talking to other vehicles on a road trip.

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

we use the Motorola cp200 or the pr400. we have mobile radios in our trucks also and they can be programmed with the same frequencies. they work really good. the old ht600 or mt1000 worked real good too but they were heavy and indestructible. you can buy them on ebay for decent price but you will need programmed buy a technician. or buy the software. I prefer uhf it works better in the mtns. for me. ive tried both, I see a lot of people using the vhf versions too.

How do you plan to use them? Respectfully, I don't recommend using any, as they can make it too easy for people to compromise ethics about fair chase. If you're concerned about a youth or spouse getting lost spend your money on a GPS unit and learn to use a compass.

We used the Midland 36 mile ones on a recent elk hunt. Although we all know they are not even close to the listed range, they actually did ok for us on the Colorado hunt. Two in our party had the Cobra marine mrhh425 that has gmrs and vhr frequencies as well. They are a little heavier but more powerful. I would give those Cobra's a serious look.

We have radios (rhinos) but we rarely use them to voice communicate while hunting. The last thing I, or other hunters,want to here is a bunch of chatty-cathys.
The rhinos are pretty darn good but I bought them for a different application than hunting.
Good luck.
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-13 AT 06:50PM (MST)[p]>How do you plan to use
>them? Respectfully, I don't
>recommend using any, as they
>can make it too easy
>for people to compromise ethics
>about fair chase. If
>you're concerned about a youth
>or spouse getting lost spend
>your money on a GPS
>unit and learn to use
>a compass.

Respectfully, that is like saying never take a drink, because you might drink and drive. There are responsible ways to use radios. I don't have them to chat, they stay in my pack except at certain times when we prearrange to communicate, like lunch, after dark, if we have a problem. And a GPS and a compass don't do you a lot of good when you have a broken leg and need help or when you are running real late due to gutting out and quatering an animal you got at sundown and you want to let your guys know you are OK, but just late.

I have a Rhino 120 (radio and GPS in one)

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I agree 100% and add that a compass doesn't do anyone a bit of good unless they have a map and distinguishable references to use.
I am amazed that guys own a compass and even maps but have NO idea how to use them. Ron

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom