Hunting the Ruby Crest trail

Wiszard

Long Time Member
My plan is to hunt the muzzleloader season this year with my Dad in area 10. Doing a little research on the Trail, it looks like most of the water is to the north. The difference in elevation is quite a bit from one end to the other. During this hunt, will there be many deer up high in the 10,000 foot level? Or should we start out hunting the lower stuff first? We are packing in 4-7 miles. I am just looking for some more info regarding what I should be expecting or what I should be planning for. Would you start on the North end and work that higher area or start on the south end and work the lower area? Tnanks for whatever help you can give.

Steve

why the ruby crest trail, when your going 4 to 7 miles in? Lamoille canyon and Harrison pass areas are hardly remote.

Wiz
Give me a call and I'll help you out. Ive guided , hunted and rode the trail from one end to the other.
Wes
801-550-4973

Ahhhh crap. I figured getting that far in or down the trail will get me clear of most of the people activity. I doubt there's gonna be too may people hanging around the 10,000 foot level though, huh? We want to try to get away from the people. What do you suggest Piper? Just travel farther south to escape the "crowds"? Thanks.

Steve

Wiszard,
durring the Muzz season there are not enough tags to really concentrate the hunters, also, I don't really see any reason to pack in 4-7 miles. There is so much great hunting close to the road. quite a few land owners are pretty good about letting people hunt. if you would like names, PM me. I think the muzz hunt can be tough, the bucks tend to drop down from the upper basins into the thick stuff after they shed the velvet.

NVMDF

Wiz, I've hunted the North 12 miles or so. And we saw tons of bucks. 75 in 2 days of scouting before early rifle. I think the muzzy would be a great hunt. Bring the best optics you can beg, borrow or steal. At that time I was "optically challenged." The better bucks would come out with the shade. Those canyons are so steep shadows begin by 3:00 PM and the bigger bucks fed out and stayed in the shadows. Tough seeing from sunlight to shade with inferior optics. Bought my 15X56s and spotter just for a return to the Rubies but too many points now for that hunt IMO.

Good Luck!!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom