hunting with wife/GF?

mntman

Long Time Member
I have been seeing more and more posts of guys hunting with their wives/gf's. Nothing against it, my mom hunted whitetail for years in Northern MN. A little different hunting up there though, cause you are on the stand by your self all day.

Out west it is more common to hunt with someone all day.

For those that do it, do you find it is disadvantagous for you?
By that I mean, I won't hunt with someone that doesn't have the same drive/determination/skill/physical capabilities as me (Dad is the exception, he is 65 so I slow down for him). I hunt to fill my tags and put in 110% all the time. I get discouraged when someone is tagging along and I am only putting in 80%, 70% etc of my potential effort... I hate if someone is with and says "I'm not going in there" or "I'm turning around" etc... I would have to find a woman that matches me in my "drive" to hunt.

Also, time away from her is what I enjoyed when hunting. Maybe you guys just found the perfect match for you?

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Every wife is different, just like every guy is different. My wife is crazy, she will go into thick brush alone after wounded bear with only a pistol, hunted nine days for an elk in the snow this year, and passed a 185" muley with a bow at 42 yards when it was -20F outside looking for a bigger one.

Some guys consider me lucky that I can hunt with my wife, others are thankful for the break from their wives. To each their own, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Grizzly

Huntin with Both Your Wife & Girlfriend Can be Tricky at Times!

But Wisz hasn't really minded,He's gotten quite used to it!:D

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

Have hunted with my wife for 28 years, She is only a pain in the butt when she is teasing about how hers is biggest or how her shot was tougher than mine lol. Really its been a hell of a ride for all those years and I have enjoyed every min. of it. This year I was at work and got a call, It was my wife, she was in a panic. I was 75 miles away and she had gone to check a water hole for us to hunt that weekend. While looking, a herd of Elk came in and she shot one. She had got her Elk but was alone and couldn't drag it out, And she couldn't get my son to answer the phone.(he had just started a night job.) Finally she called my daughter and had her go get him. They had the Elk at the meat cutter by the time I got home from work that night. As far as "Drive" Some Folks on MM will tell you That my gal is the very definition of the word. allot of my friends get a kick out of hearing her tell them they are burning daylight at 3:30 am.
Guessed wrong, I drive a 12 year old 1/2 ton pickup with stock tires and pull an old Layton trailer house.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-13 AT 07:22AM (MST)[p]I think it all depends on what you are out in the field for. If you are out there only to "fill your tag" as you put it then I can see you point a little bit. Myself, I am out there to fill my tag, but also to enjoy the outdoors. I do NOT enjoy hunting by myself, I LOVE to have my family, friends, kids with me! There is nothing more fun than to have my 11 year old daughter next to me as the elk are screaming 20 yards away and the look on her face. I really enjoyed my wife coming along and just being one of the guys until we had kids and she got too busy. I look forward to the day when she can come along more often again.

I guess you get what you want out of being in the Mtns. To me it is NOT just about filling a tag, but the experience in doing so. I actually feel bad for those that have to get away from the wife. Sounds like a miserable marriage.

I have tried to go hunting with my wife. We didn't get to much hunting done, we were to busy doing "other things". ;)

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

>I have tried to go hunting
>with my wife. We didn't
>get to much hunting done,
>we were to busy doing
>"other things". ;)

See, I'd be like what are you doing woman, we are hunting. We have 49 other weeks for that the rest of the year.

Mntman

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

i wish my wife would hunt with me. im very envious of those that wives/Girlfriends share these awesome hunts and experiences with. i got my wife to hunt one year and she had a good time.she killed a 2x3 that year and i was more proud and excited than when i get to pull the trigger. she ultimately decided that it just wasnt for her. some women have the drive to hunt and some dont. i wish mine did but its also very nice to just "do my thing" on the mountain with buddies and just by myself.

"Shoot Straight"

My wife has been going with me for about ten years. It is good having her along as she is one of the best game/sign spotters I have been around. She is a tough nut too and won't often back down.

There are 2 things that happen.
1- I hunt
2- I guide her

When it's a gut-bust hunt and she doesn't have a tag, she stays home.

When it's a family "outing" and/or she has a tag, She goes.

I would say in an average year my wife is only "hunting" with me about <10% of the time.

When my 4 adult, married daughters have tags they hunt and hunt hard. I've been very proud of them all! We've had some protracted adventures and they never complain!

So, mntman, it's never been a problem for me at all. I just pick and choose.

Zeke

My wife has been my #1 for ten years. I have more fun with her but certainly don't get to enjoy the super rough country when she's along for the ride. Some of the country I enjoy is a bit too rugged for her. Id say push her to the limit and see how she reacts. I would prefer to watch my wife kill something than me kill ten!

"I'll see you all this coming fall in the Big Rock Candy Mountains!"

I wouldn't say push her to her limit, More like help her along and let her find her own limit. You might be surprised at how far your gal might go to find her limit. I know I was. Oh and yes my adult daughter is what I would say fairly intensive hunter.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-13 AT 07:29PM (MST)[p]i would much rather she go than stay home ,,,,

gotta add she gets really frustrated at missing dove :)

My wife hunts with me when she draws a tag. More good than bad about it.
More hunts you get to go on is one of the biggest upsides.

Mine goes with or stays home......her choice.

She knows she is always welcome, never complains about the conditions, and is tougher than a lot of guys I know.

That said, early on, I told her "one negative peep out of you and you will be on the Silver Dog, with a $100.00 pinned to your lapel!"

I feel sorry for guys who marry women with no sense of the "hunting mentality". I did it once, and the hunts I missed being "puzzy whipped", I will regret forever.

You will likely NEVER change them and it will always be a constant issue for you to be gone, spending money for required materials, etc. I don't care what she looks like, 20 years or so of nagging you about your outdoor passion will wear on you and it won't be worth it in the long run.

Here is what happens if you get lucky.

My cousin, smartest man I know, married an Oklahoma cattle baron's spinster daughter. She ain't TOTALLY ugly, knows the business and needed a "husband".

He hunts all over the world on the company credit card, writes EVERYTHING off as a business expense, attends short business meetings and then goes hunting with potential clients, who mostly end up giving him all the gear when they are done.

He is 55, very healthy and, after 9 years of marriage, has actually developed a very pleasant family relationship.

The family has a collection of "houses" in several states, but his home is in Oklahoma, which completely sucks, in my opinion, but he has learned to live with it.......and the new King Ranch pickup he gets every year on January 2nd.

"If you get upset or offended by ANY website forum
post.....especially mine, you need serious
intervention!"

You got a Pic Nick?

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

Marrying a girl that was brought up a hunter was the best decision I've ever made.

She loves game meat, and is by far my favorite hunting partner. To me, all the same reasons I married her make her that much more enjoyable to hunt with. Not to mention she's a damn good hunter. She spots game better than I, and is amazingly calm when it comes time to shoot, she just doesn't get buck fever. She also has a lot of respect for the animal, which is a trait I have a hard time finding in hunting buddies.

She's tough to boot, here she is packing out half her buck this year. Straight up a quarter mile face, then three miles out on a logging road.

image_zpsac869e9b.jpg

She was also with me when I killed my bigger bear this year, and a big river bottom whitetail.

The upside you get to put in for more hunts.Its like guiding to me,I have to coach her on alot of things which is second nature to me.I hunt alot harded by myself or with my brother.

Also when you put big animals on the ground and bring them home
thats what she expects.So she likes to pass.So usually I just put her in for Quality hunts.Alot harder draw oddds but a better trip for us both.

My wife has always been an avid supporter of our outdoor hobbies. She rarely stays home, loves the camping life, and sometimes ventures out with me.

I look back on all my hunts and most of them would not have been near as successful as they were without her help or support. I was lucky enough to spot my LE ML bull with her and the kids with me. We have the memory of her watching my entire stalk through the spotting scope and I have always been proud to brag about that part of that hunt.

One of the funniest ML deer hunts I remember with her was one where she refused to leave camp all week. She was having too much fun reading books and listening to the bull elk bugle all around camp. After a couple days into it she tells me of all the pine chickens that wandered through camp when the guys were all out. I leaned the shotgun and a box of shells against her camp chair one morning on the way out. She killed her limit of chickens two or three times that week.

As mentioned before: When the wife has the tag, the hunting isn't extreme, but it's still hunting. 2010 was typical. I'd hunted archery season so I was just guiding. She hit a bull too far back on opening day and we lost him. On the second day I saw 6 bulls I could have killed but she never got a shot off, just couldn't get them in her scope fast enough or was afraid other milling elk would step in front of the bull. By day 4 other members of the hunting party were getting discouraged, sleeping in, etc. Not her, first one up and ready to go. She made a 180 yard, off hand shot and anchored her bull in it's tracks. The most excited I've ever seen her. She screamed, shouted, jumped up and down and jumped into my arms, all at the same time. Week long, pack in, horse back hunts, no problem.

But I do pack in creature comforts I wouldn't normally pack, get the tent warm in the morning and coffee ready before she gets up. But it's worth it. My best hunts have been when my wife or kids have connected.

But I still enjoy my solo hunts too.

I actually love hunting with my wife. I mainly archery hunt, and have taken her with me once. She did slow me down, and I was unable to hunt how I wanted. So what I decided to do is put her in for a different tag than mine. So we decided on the Muzzle loader deer hunt. That way every year I can go with her on her Muzzy hunt, and be her "guide." I find it just as satisfying when I watch a buddy, or my wife harvest an animal. After she gets her deer, the rest of year is just me by myself. By getting my wife into hunting, I am able to go hunting for my tags WAY more. She now realizes how much I love the outdoors, and how seriously I take it. So she gives out "kitchen passes" left and right:) It's a win win.

I Live For This

Seems like there are a lot of wussy men out there. I rarely read a post about a woman that has killed something that doesn't involve a statement by the husband/father/boyfriend that she is tougher than him and better at spotting game and a better shot.

Funny that all of these posts are put up by men, where are all the posts by these dedicated female hunters?

I believe than many men enjoy hunting with their female counterparts and relatives but I have met very few women that I could actually call hunters and not just tag along shooters.

My wife was raised in a non-hunting family but loves the elk and deer meat that I bring home and she understands that hunting season is short and she has never interferred with my hunting time. She does enjoy being outdoors and camping and hiking and sometimes she does a little fishing. She has expressed an interest in coming on hunting trips to be in camp.

As far as having a hunting partner that has the same level of determination as you do and the same level of physical ability, that is dealbreaker. I will not hunt with someone who cannpt keep up or will run back to truck the first time they feel cold and wet.

I love hunting with my wife. I get to hunt twice as much! Sure, when she draws a tag I act as the guide but it is just as much fun, if not more. Actually, I think I might enjoy it more because it is more of a challenge. Every guy who has hunted with his wife has heard the dreaded statement, "I can't see him" or "I can't find him in the scope." Incredibly frustrating at the time but it makes me smile and laugh when we talk about it later.

I consider myself fortunate that my wife loves to be in the outdoors and hike. Even luckier when she gets up in the middle of the night to put more wood in the stove! I have a picture with her packing out my elk head from last year that kind of sums it all up for me.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-13 AT 03:57PM (MST)[p]I opted to go for a smokin hot g/f who does not want anything to do with hunting, but accepts my hobby. However it is working out great because there's only one thing I think about when she's around, and it definitely ain't hunting. :) Used to have a g/f who hunted with me and it was nice, but this is way better!

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, NRA, UWC & DP Hate Club

>I actually love hunting with my
>wife. I mainly archery hunt,
>and have taken her with
>me once. She did slow
>me down, and I was
>unable to hunt how I
>wanted. So what I decided
>to do is put her
>in for a different tag
>than mine. So we decided
>on the Muzzle loader deer
>hunt. That way every year
>I can go with her
>on her Muzzy hunt, and
>be her "guide." I find
>it just as satisfying when
>I watch a buddy, or
>my wife harvest an animal.
>After she gets her deer,
>the rest of year is
>just me by myself. By
>getting my wife into hunting,
>I am able to go
>hunting for my tags WAY
>more. She now realizes how
>much I love the outdoors,
>and how seriously I take
>it. So she gives out
>"kitchen passes" left and right:)
>It's a win win.
>

i would like this sort of situation. :)

Mntman

How bout a Pic Zim?

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

I married a girl whos entire family hunts. She went with as a kid, then "flowered" into woman hood and found other interests. She has never stopped me, she budgets for it all year, she helps find my son gear, she just doesn't want to go. We met at 17, and will be married 20 yrs in july. When she wants to go do something I don't she goes, I don't, and vice versa. Our marriage is secure enough that it isn't a contest on who does what or how much it costs. I don't want to babysit. My 8yr old son started at 4(road hunting) but really started at 5. On the way every year we stop, I look him in the eyes and tell him that his mom isn't there, and I don't want to be dad this week, I want to be one of the guys. If he wants to be one of the guys then he needs to act like it, if not, I WILL TAKE HIM HOME. I think this would be harder with the wife, but for a couple weeks a year, I don't want to be dad, husband, etc, I just wanna be one of the guys, and she doesnt want to be part of that so she isn't, pretty sure I will keep her around for another 20yrs.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom