Hunting Wolves with Eagles

BearCat

I thought you guys might like this--sorry if it has been posted before.

Not your typical way to hunt Wolves!

I've watched that before in amazement, but can't remember if it was on this website or not. Stuff like that never gets old and there will be members who havent' seen it and see how cool it is to watch those wolves try to get away and get nailed! Too bad they can't bring those birds over here and nail a few of those critters with them.

I guess I'm a skeptic, but for the life of me I can't see a golden eagle killing a big mature wolf that goes 120 to 140lbs here in North America.
Wondering about the size of those Mongolian wolves.

My brother lives in Mongolia. He says that hunting wolves with eagles is very much real and a popular past time. I will have to ask him about the size of wolves in Mongolia.

I worked with a guy in Wyoming that was one of the few people permitted to own and train Golden Eagles. I was trapping at the time and he asked for a live red fox to help train the eagle. Next one I had he came and got it. When I asked him how the training went he said when the eagle hit the running fox it bit the eagle and now the eagle was afraid of foxes. I asked him how you get an eagle over that fear and he said it was easy. Just don't feed the eagle for a while and it will quickly overcome the fear. He is an excellent raptor handler and helped at the mine to mitigate raptors that nested in the highwall.

LAST EDITED ON May-26-11 AT 03:12PM (MST)[p]>I guess I'm a skeptic, but
>for the life of me
>I can't see a golden
>eagle killing a big mature
>wolf that goes 120 to
>140lbs here in North America.
>
>Wondering about the size of those
>Mongolian wolves.

I agree....while it IS a cool video, there ain't no way that is happening with wolves in our Northwest.

I watch lone coyotes run eagles, of both species, off of carcases several times a year around here.

Maybe they have some kind of "Chuck Norris" eagle in Mongolia......or "Elton John" wolves?

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

Yep, I've seen this before, but its really cool again. Sure maybe those dogs aren't 120 lbs, but the whole process is amazing.

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

Old Elmer Keith used to shoot golden eagles and possibly bald eagles when he was in high sheep country. He saw too many times the eagles killing Rocky Mnt. big horns. If they could not outright kill it, they would try driving them over a steep cliff and the fall killed the sheep.

This was back in the 20's & 30's when it would not cause a uproar to kill a eagle.

RELH

Perhaps a juvenile wolf can be dispatched by one eagle, but it took two eagles to kill a much bigger wolf. Still fascinating to watch. Thanks for posting.

Eldorado

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom