I don't know anything about Unit ??? but...

N

NMelkhunter

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-10 AT 12:41PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-10 AT 12:39?PM (MST)

Let me start this out by saying that I'll be the first guy in line to help out a fellow MM'er or anybody, for that matter, with any area I am familiar with but I have to say, I don't think I have ever applied for a hunt in any unit in New Mexico that I at least didn't know something about the unit (the terrain, the draw odds, rumors both good and bad about a place, etc.).

I'm seeing more and more posts from people stating that they know nothing about a unit they applied for.

I'm not sure if those who are posting are simply fishing for more info or being truthful about not knowing anything but I'd prefer they just be straight forward and ask for help and if you truly know ABSOLUTELY nothing about a unit then I would really question why you are wasting your time putting in for it? I'd rather see that kind of research take place before you apply for a unit. Just my .02 cents.

Kinda hard to drive out from the east coast for a weekend
of scouting.......especially when you dont know if you'll ever draw the area or not. I would love to draw a Gila bull tag, but I'll probably never lay eyes on it until I draw. I just drew nm unit 31 deer, I've driven through there once going to unit 30 on a Barbary hunt(first time) but other than that I KNOW NOTHING-AND I'M STOKED.
Beats not hunting at all.

Telephoning Game and Fish or Forest Service personnel to discuss a unit doesn't require traveling to the unit, nor does looking at a topo map. I'm not saying have your deer, elk, etc. pinpointed but at least have an idea of what to expect from a unit.

I suspect people are simply stating they have not hunted that unit. I can not imagine that they have not looked at harvest reports, topo maps, etc. If they truly do not know anymore than the draw odds I would agree with you. I will be making the 17 hour drive to New Mexico twice this fall, once to scout elk and once to hunt elk (OK I also have an antelope tag for the first trip but we planned it this way).

Evilnr,

How are you doing i was just woundering how you did on your barbary sheep hunt in unit 30. I drew a tag for Feb. 2011.
Thanks Jake.

All those questions look like opportunity to me. You guys that live in the state, could charge a small fee, and provide info.

I know I have paid scouts in a couple different states to help me on diy hunts. The info was well worth the 300 to 500 I spent.

One of the best in New Mexico is Tommy Maldonado...His maps and info, for sure helped me harvest! You guys asking questions should realy think about a scout.

http://www.gilawildernesshunting.com/Home_Page.php

I am headed to unit 34 this year and i don't know anything about the unit outside of what i have read on websites,mags and looked up on NM website. I also spend all my free time on Google Earth and ArcGris Explorer. I am 11 hours away from there so it is not easy to scout. I am going in Aug. to scout and back to hunt in Sep. This is my first elk hunt!

I think guys just get overwhelmed with it all and just hope someone will give them some good info for nothing!

Outfitters also provide info. Not just if you are going to hunt with them, but we also help people out. Keep in mind, the way we feed our families is by offering such services. I am not knocking on e-scouting, but when a person compares moneys spent on scouting, gear and fuel etc, the option of an outfitter (many packages are offered by most) is relatively close. But wait, that wouldn't be DIY....... Is getting info from people on the net entirely DIY? It is all in ones definition I guess.

I guess I'm one of the nonresident dummies that drew a third rifle hunt for deer in 2B. I did some research prior to putting in for the draw and talked with some good people about the area, but that's just not the same as talking to fellow hunters that have already hunted the area before. Even though I did what research I could before the draw, it's pretty intimidating, at least for me, when you and your son arrive at a new area and have to pick a starting point. You can study topo maps and Google Earth until your blue in the face, but it doesn't beat the experiences of someone who has been there before. I'm confident that my son and I would have an opportunity to fill our tags without anyone's help. But my son has some health issues and I would like nothing more than for him to get a better than average buck. I'm also concerned about the roads in November, but that will be a crap shoot, as you can't out guess Mama Nature. All I can do is try to be prepared for getting unstuck if that should happen and to be cautious. I could go and scout during the summer, but I don't think that would be of benefit as to where the good bucks may be in November. Should a guy hunt high, low, or in between? I don't know. I think most of us that stick our necks out asking for advice/info on this site are just trying to improve our hunting experience. We really don't demand or even expect anyone's help, but I'm sure others, like myself, would be very grateful for any advice we receive. I will look into a scouting service, but it would also be nice to compare notes and have a Plan B, C and D. I've sure needed alternate plans before. With or without anyone's input, I will have the time of my life, just being out there with my son.

BIGFOOT,

I would say you definitely don't fall into the stereotype I was talking about above. You have been as diligent as you can be from out of state. I hope you and others don't feel like I'm painting everyone who asks for help with a broad brush. I've given and received help many times on here and will continue to do so.

Another nonresident dummy here! AND this is my FIRST post. Never bothered to register before but I've been lurking awhile.

My first elk hunt was an expensive guided hunt on public land where we saw exactly 3 elk in 6 days. My buddy and I decided this year that we are going DIY. We put in for NM after POURING over as much info as possible....mostly in print on the internet (Eastmans MRS, Huntin fool etc). We mainly took in account the chance of getting drawn, the quality of the hunt, the number of animals, the likely hood of having a decent chance of killing ANY legal elk with a bow.

But there is just so much you can do without boots on the ground. Remember, EVERYONE had to hunt somewhere for the FIRST time once. Unfortunately as out of staters, most don't have the luxury to scout AHEAD of putting in for a draw before being drawn.

That said.....Who can give me info on Unit 52 second archery! : ) Seriously.....

Wait I thought the nm forum guys were the best on mm!?!? Lmao well outa staters the truth about the nm guys is their a bunch of hypocrites! Now if a fellow nm mmer needs some info his inbox is flooded with pm's! This is exactly how I'm always getting access to great hunting opportunities, pm me I know quite a bit about 15 34 31 ill help out any way I can! And good luck to all that drew!

I just call em as I see em!

Boy...by the responses, you'd think I said whoever asks for help shouldn't have applied. Not what I said at all. Read the original post.

Just ask BIGFOOT about the info he received just from me.

I know everyone has to hunt somewhere for the first time. What I said was in reference to those who post messages as acting as if they know NOTHING about a unit. If someone has heard rumors, read articles, looked at maps, done other research, etc. but just hasn't put boots on the ground then you've done all you can do until you get to see the country and starting with some info from other hunters about where to begin on the ground is great. I guess my point was those that say they know NOTHING about a unit..then why'd you put in for it? Hope that makes more sense.

Ease up a bit eh.

NMelkhunter,

PM sent back.

Also, let me apologize if I came across with an attitude. It was not my intent to do so. Hunting a new area or state for the first time can/is intimidating, and during the excitement of being successful in the draw, we rush to seek help from any source available, and MM is a great source. NMelkhunter was very helpful and seems like a great guy. I'm truely grateful for his help. Just having a starting place from someone who has been there and knows the area, takes a lot of the anxiety away. At least for a little while! Thanks Steve!

I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows NMelkhunter was extremely helpful with info he gave me. Heck, he might even have a big buck tied to a tree by the time we get there! As I told NMelkhunter, the only time I don't have my foot in my mouth, is when I'm changing feet! I'm very grateful for his help. It was much more than I was hoping for. Thank You NMelkhunter!

BIGFOOT,

Appreciate you flipping my burnt side over in the pan. It was getting a little roasted. Thanks for the compliment. Returned your PM. Call me.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-10 AT 10:37PM (MST)[p]

I love to hunt.
I love hunting with my son even more.
We hunt the same areas at home ever single year and know them very well.
My desire to hunt goes way beyond what my close to home areas can offer.
Tags for good hunts are damn tough to get with much regularity these days unless you are loaded with cash.
I'm certainly not, so I must play the draws.
I throw money out to about seven different western states each year and cross my fingers hoping that I get at least one good hunt that I can do with my kid in the fall after our local deer seasons.
I generally put in for the same areas every year, but with point systems and such high demand, you really never know what you are going to get, if anything at all.
I am vaguely familiar with the units I apply for even if I haven't been there.
This year, after getting shot down in Arizona, Colorado and Nevada, I was shocked to find that my son had drawn the unit 17 ML youth elk tag that I posted about.

I've applied unsuccessfully in New Mexico for several years.
A friend of mine grew up in the unit my kid drew and had suggested it to me for years.
He has not lived there in many years, but still has knowledge that he will help me with.
He and I were pouring over maps and discussing landowners and the like, but he was simply a cowboy as a New Mexico resident, not a super avid hunter, so his info is limited.
I post here hoping to get a few leads on current conditions and such as my friend cannot give me the latest up to date info.
I'm fairly confident in my hunting skills.
This tag is my son's though and I want to do all in my power to see him succeed in what may be the best elk hunt of his entire life, if coming on here and politely asking for help offends some, well I apologize.
I've tried to add something to MM over the years, I enjoy most everyone else's success as well.
I truly hope to return favors to everyone who's ever helped me along the way.
HH

Harry did you get my pm? Give me a call and we'll get the wheel started...Larry

TexasDeerHunter;

That unit 30 Barby hunt was a circus. Like a Madmax movie.
Every conceivable type of off-road vehicle and I even saw
a Hang glider going off the rim. I came out a week after I had the flu, so I was still feeling it. The rental vehicle i had reesrved was "not available". Ended up with a nissan Murano or something.....popped a tire off the rim, etc......bad trip,
lessons learned. Applied this year in the "other units" and did not draw a tag. Oh well, I've got deer and Oryx.

I spent no less than 60 hrs researching NM for Mule deer. I looked at maps. Ordered BLM maps. Read the big game hand book 10 times. Called NM game and fish to ask questions about differnt units. I even called NM game and fish to ask a couple of questions about how the draw works.

I talked to family that use to live in NM, friends who lived in NM. Read magazines. Searched online. Broke down the draw odds, success rates and even the satisfaction numbers (for what those are worth). I picked out my hunts. Changed my mind. Repeated everything above. Picked my hunts again. And entered.

I got my 3rd. choice ,which is Colin Neblett Oct.30-Nov.3, and I'm pumped just to get in the mountians. If someone give me a tip thats awesome. I'd be very greatful. If not I'm still gonna have a blast.

So remember some people do work hard .......but why does it seem like the people who dont do anything always draw the elite tags ? Good luck to everyone who did draw.

NMelkhunter,with all do respect were you just having a bad day or maybe didn't draw?It seems every year we get a simalar post on here.Which is fine.

Here is my thing,I can look at topo maps all day long and I guess my brain doesn't get it,it just looks like a bunch of lines to me.Now to alot of you guys it makes perfect sense, but to alot of us it doesn't.I've drawn for units before by NMG&F recommendations only,then if I draw I had 3 months to ask questions,look at maps(LOL),make calls to NMG&F,and so on and so on.Isn't MM's about hunting and helping out.Thats what makes this site so great.I seem on Huntin Fool if you draw a tag they will give you a list of names of guys that have hunted it before,or a list of outfitters that work that unit.

I learned of MM's from Fransico the Biologist for the Carson when I was already out hunting 52.He turn me on to a spot where I would have never gone too if it wasn't for him.Later that evening I seen him in Wal-Mart and I think he talked with me for over an hour,now the first time helping me that was he's job I guess,but the second time that was he's time.And I'm sure he's wife was wondering why it took him so long to get milk and eggs LOL.

One of the best forums on here is the NM forum. I have gotten countless help from guys on here.Thanks Vinny,Fransico, AntlerKing,Cody,Rory,and so.Thats why I love hunting NM so much,
the guys here will go out of their way to help someone.Even myself,I have limited info about NM but I'll be the first to give them,guys phone numbers etc,to offer some kind of help. I've even sent guys to outfitters/guides knowing up front their were DIY hunters and guys like Rory, AntlerKing gave them some advice.Now I know the outfitters/guides aren't going to give away their honey holes,I don't blame them thats how they make their living,but I never understood why the average guy who draws a tag once are twice in his life isn't willing to help a guy out.I could understand if you have the means to hunt the same unit/area year after year but with the draw system thats not possilbe.So I look at it like so,well if I didn't draw maybe the help I give will help this guy or his son whatever get a nice Elk Deer whatever.

If anyone whats to come to IL and deer and duck hunt ring me up. Hell we'll take my boat and hunt the islands on the river for deer,and maybe shoot a couple of ducks, hell I'll even set you up a couple of stands if you like and not for money or anything just the fun of it,(if I'm not working).

Wow,I really digress here didn't I? SORRY,well thanks for listening.

Joe E Sikora

No, not a bad day and I actually did draw. Maybe I should re-write the original post to better express my point. All I was saying is how could someone put in for a unit that they know nothing about. It seems that you would have at least had to heard something or read something to encourage you to apply whether it be the quality of the hunt or the odds to allow you the opportunity to hunt. That's al...and I could see where the original post is misinterpreted to include those who have never been to a unit. I suspect there are very few if any who put in for a unit that have not at least heard something about it. The posts I was referring to don't seem to acknowledge any knowledge of the unit.

I help out all the time as far as my knowledge will take someone. I've even taken people out myself to show them places so I have no issue with helping someone. Sorry for the misguided post, I did not mean to offend anyone who was asking for help...heck I done the same on here.

Nmelkhunter I really wasn't just meaning you I was speaking more generalized! As for nm your fourth choice is any tag in a certain region. I see post like this every single year, just like the one taking bets! Nm forum is by far the worst one here on talking crap about helping guys!

I just call em as I see em!

Your original message does sound kinda harsh, but I think I understand where you are coming from, but I don't understand why the need to post that. Maybe just to help people in the future?

I'm a resident born & bred, however the units that I WANT to hunt are too hard to draw. Especially considering 2b is my backyard and I've have two boys that have been going hunting with me since before they could walk and they can NEVER seem to draw a friggin' deer tag in any of the 2's! I study the draw odds and put them in for great hunts as their first choice & then hunts with the best odds as 2nd & 3rd choices so they can hopefully at least go hunting.

I have to say that this year was incredible for drawing tags! They both drew Oryx off range & Dec cow elk tags, and I bought them Antelope tags from Jim Welles at www.newmexicobiggamehunting.com. So God willing we will not starve this winter!

My 3rd choice for elk this year was for a unit that I have never hunted before and beleive it or not I drew it and of course I researched the unit prior to applying for it. Since the draw I have done a lot more and am confident that my buddy & I will both harvest good bulls.

Researching & hunting new areas is part of the fun of hunting! I pitty my friends in Farmington that will not apply anywhere outside of unit 2. They rarely draw tags & then gripe & complain all year because they didn't draw... DUH!!! They're putting in for a unit with one of the lowest odds in the state! Drawing a bull rifle tag in the Gila is easier than a dang cow tag in Unit 2!

Like you said, I will also help out a brother any chance I get, especially if youth hunters are involved! I'm sure that I have provided tons more assistance than I have asked for but who cares, it's not something to keep score with.

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

I am confused here fellas. I think we are all adults and if we did not understand the post why not ask for clarification? oh wait I know we are too busy trying to fire back before getting our ducks in a row. Here is another point that has not been brought up in the post, while you out of staters are growling at the author I bet none of you stopped to think about it long and hard. There are just as may RESIDENTS that do the same thing you do! Yes its true. So you are not the only ones to mmmm how I do I say "complain" about. I was born and raised in NM and later moved to Wyoming. I did call the G and F and to be completely honest with you it is so hard to take the game and fish serioulsy. I have even asked some biologists in my home state for help. They were wrong I mean flat wrong. There are those guys that are more than willing to help those who ask, again those who ask. Lets be realistic here its not always about the Non-res hunters. This cycle repeats in every state. On another point I do agree. Why put in for a unit that you know nothing about? And yes I agree with what some of you had to say, about you other guys eeekkkk! The father son experience is one that I always wanted and never got. I had to teach my self to hunt. (I am not looking for sympathy). Nowadays for those that live far away I can see not coming out to scout. For those that live in Texas I have nothing futher to say. Wait I do. Look at the iowa gentleman he is going to scout his unit twice if I read it right!!!! And he lives more than 11 hours away. To the gentleman with the son that has a health issue I hope to see your story in a magazine one of these days. I wish the best of luck to you and your son. The names that were mentioned that love to help guys out are true. I have known Francisco for a few years now and he is a top knotch guy, we have hunted a little but thats it. In closing think of the bigger picture.

Agree Gambler. I used to live in Farmington about 20 years ago. Wish I could get back up there more often. I loved it!

Joe,

Thanks and I will definitely post some pictures. You seem confident that there will be pictures to post . Is that a good unit? Hah..just kidding. Can't wait to head to the hills! Is it October yet?

Been lurking/reading for sometime and saw this post and decided to register. Maybe this is the right topic or at least the right place to ask for help. I can understand people getting tired of getting hounded for honey hole information on certain units, wanting to get the reward without the work. I pulled a Ibex tag and was wondering how the tag is issued in NM but the hunt is in Florida? I'm not even sure what a Ibex is or looks like. Need Help

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-10 AT 07:55PM (MST)[p]I agree with NMelkhunter...at least get a map...I have never NOT drawn in NM,either as a non-res. or as a resident.Have to not just put in for the Prime units and expect to draw....And I researched the units I have drawn fully and visited way before hand.Have gotten great info from NMDG&F,and now have friends there and in BLM offices. Have gotten and given advice to those that have drawn. Not saying I've filled all my tags but have had the best hunts of my life...mostly DIY. I'm jealous of your draw NMelkhunter...someday maybe a 16 unit elk and maybe a 2 or 5 muley,but in meantime I live right close by and have critters on my place...And nonresident,thats Florida MTNS......look at a map.

Look it up on the web!!! There are persian ibex and siberian ibex and I think another one not sure. Nonresident I feel that you were taking a crap shoot and hit your target. Not knowing what you are going to hunt? eeekkkk!!! Thats like going into a war not knowing who your targets are but you are out there. I also feel that you NEED to do alot of research talking to people etc... that is too great of a tag to just say "oh hey I have this tag and I dont know what it is"....kind of the topic of this forum. The floridas hold some good ibex. Thats all I know never hunted there. I am sure NMelkhunter can help. I wish you the upmost luck.

Just kidding, did get lucky and draw the tag. Was not expecting that particular email, had to double check and sure enough that hunt was green. I figured it would get a rise out of some people being my first post and start talking about the Ibex tag.

I also drew 16D but for the first rifle hunt. It is the second time I have hunted this hunt and I am pumped about this tag. I have been a resident for about 20 years and I love new Mexico. Also drew unit 33 for the first rifle muley. Good Year for the draw.....

Hey Wagner...if you hunt the same area of 16D could you at least tie on up for me. It's a cool unit huh? I'm really looking forward to it also. Let me know how you do.

>Just kidding, did get lucky and
>draw the tag. Was
>not expecting that particular email,
>had to double check and
>sure enough that hunt was
>green. I figured it
>would get a rise out
>of some people being my
>first post and start talking
>about the Ibex tag.

Good first post and like your name also. PM me about the ibex tag if you like.

I think when they say they know nothing about the unit, they mean they have no on-the-ground knowledge. Most of us NRs do study draw odds, topos, etc. before applying. After all, with the cost of tags for NRs, you have to either be rich or stupid to just randomly apply. So, you do a little homework and submit your application. Then, if you draw, you need to put boots to the ground, and that's where a little local knowledge helps.

For instance, I drew a 2nd rifle muley tag for GMU 51 as my 3rd choice this year. Before applying, I spent hours and hours doing research before I settled on my choices. I knew I had a slightly better than 50/50 chance with my 3rd choice, and with a little luck, I hit it. Now, since last week's drawing results were announced, I've been scouring for info on my hunt. With the technology of the Internet, you can find out lots of info, but there's no substitute for on-the-ground knowledge.

I've got a general area identified in my unit, but one thing that's hard to judge remotely is accessibility of your area of choice. I'm a backpack hunter. I like to be 2-4 miles from motorized traffic in order to get away from high-pressure areas. Looking at the area I've chosen, there are a lot of trails, and it's hard to tell from the USGS quad maps which trails are foot trails and which are motorized trails. As a result, it's very hard for me to determine where I'll need to be in order to get away from other hunters. I've been very tempted to put up a post here asking for assistance, but I have not, and it's only due to the negativity I've seen posted towards those who ask for help. I'll probably try calling the local ranger station to get the info I need, but these days, it seems that rangers and wardens are as likely to be anti-hunting as they are to be pro-hunting. Getting the info from a fellow hunter seems to be a way to get more trustworthy info.

Please keep in mind that not all NR hunters are fat, lazy slobs. Some of us work hard ALL YEAR just to do one hunt 17 hours from home. Sometimes, we just need a little help...

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
Scott

What EVERYONE needs to understand is if you know the type of animal your putting in for, given the season your hunting them and your going to the mountains... If you say you look at maps and and google earth and study the roads then you know there is an animal in the general area!!! Whether your from out of state or in state you guys are hunters! I know it's always nice to kill something so we hunters can brag, but thats why they call it hunting and not killing!!! I have no problem helping people out, but don't use that you live 20 hours away and can't make it to scout!!! Once you look at that map or make the call to the game and fish thats starting scouting in my opinion... I'm not writing this trying to put no one down. I'm just stating I've gone hunting in other states and used a map and a road and a little common sense about the animal i'm going for and I've been very successful!!!

Happy trails and good luck to those who were successful!!!

>I'm just
>stating I've gone hunting in
>other states and used a
>map and a road and
>a little common sense about
>the animal i'm going for
>and I've been very successful!!!

sin1us:

We're not all road hunters! I'm glad that's worked for you, but I don't hunt that way. A map alone does not give me the info I need for my style of hunting. I either have to put boots on the ground, or speak to someone who's done so, in order to get to where I want to be (away from road hunters).

Just because something works for you, please don't assume that it works for everyone.

Scott

>>Just kidding, did get lucky and
>>draw the tag. Was
>>not expecting that particular email,
>>had to double check and
>>sure enough that hunt was
>>green. I figured it
>>would get a rise out
>>of some people being my
>>first post and start talking
>>about the Ibex tag.
>
>Good first post and like your
>name also. PM me about
>the ibex tag if you
>like.

PM Sent

u must read my post wrong!!! I don't road hunt, never have... If there is a road to a mountain/mountains. Then there will be animals, If you know the animal your hunting for You'll find them on that mountain!!! 90% of the time if there are animals in the area you will see there tracks on the side of the road, IN THE MOUNTAINS!!!!

>u must read my post wrong!!!
>I don't road hunt, never
>have...If there is a
>road to a mountain/mountains. Then
>there will be animals, If
>you know the animal your
>hunting for You'll find them
>on that mountain!!! 90% of
>the time if there are
>animals in the area you
>will see there tracks on
>the side of the road,
>IN THE MOUNTAINS!!!!

I'm having a hard time following you, sin1us.

Sorry,
Scott

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom