I got drawn for ID unit 41 late hunt (Advice)

Hey guys,
Awesome site!

As my name implies, I'm a better fly fisherman, but I havent rifle hunted in years.

The last few years I have been archery Elk hunting. I haven't harvested yet, but I have gotten several bulls within 20 yards. Lots of stories there.

Anyways, originally from AZ I have been dreaming about desert mule deer hunting again so I put in for 41 in November.

I got drawn and am trying to learn some Intel. I've never even stepped foot in the unit, but I understand it's not as good as 40 or 42.

However I know some nice bucks have been taken out of there. But it's pretty dispersed and I was hoping someone could get me started in the right track. I sure would appreciate it.

Lot of $$ to pay as a NR for a crappy unit with low deer counts most of the bucks killed in this hunt are small bucks in the 20 inch range . F&G have finally noticed after all the years of killing forked horns in the Owyhee units that there are FEWER Big bucks & does !! Only took them about 10 years to get a Clue.Best bet pick a date later in your hunt & shoot the 1st decent buck you see IF your lucky enough too see one

Maybe it wasnt apparent, I am a resident. I personally know an out of state guy (neighbor's son) that drew 41 last year and passed up 5 decent bucks before they shot an absolute unit of a mule.

Well than you can go & check the unit out which is good for you . I personally know of over 20 people that have had this tag thru the past 7 years most of whom had a nice tag Samich the others killed bucks under 24". Good luck on the hunt

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-19 AT 10:16AM (MST)[p]>Maybe it wasnt apparent, I am
>a resident. I personally know
>an out of state guy
>(neighbor's son) that drew 41
>last year and passed up
>5 decent bucks before they
>shot an absolute unit of
>a mule.

Honestly, it sounds like you need to ask your neighbor?s son for some guidance and/or tips for the unit. I would.

For a brand new member with no prior contributions to the site, you're probably not going to get much info here from those that may have some intel. No disrespect meant, just being a realist.

Since you are a resident, have you planned any scouting trips and/or talked with the area?s warden for starting points?

BOHNTR )))---------->

I did ask him. He pointed to the map, being a non native there was obviously some luck involved there.

I was looking for someone that could share actual knowledge.

Yes of course I get it, no secret spots. But the elitest ##### on fourums for people is just out of control.

Of course I haven't contributed, I have nothing to contribute. I haven't genuinely mule deer hunted in 8 years. That's why I'm here.

I see the same attitudes on fly fishing fourums towards the beginners, but I for one enjoy helping the people that have little to contribute.

We all started there. Bull trout fly fishing in the back country in my specialty, and although I'm not going to give you GPS coordinates. I'll tell you how and why they are where they are. When they are and how you know where they will be.

After I explain that stuff, just about anyone can pinpoint these fish on a map.

Definitely in the stages of planning scouting trips. Good excuses to go camping g with he kids, I've never actually talked to a unit warden. How do you go about that?

Hunted bulls there last year. We ran into some decent bucks. Saw deer everyday biggest of which was probably 28 wide typical 4 by 4. Certainly not a high density hunt but I've always had fun and harvested when I get lucky and draw. And I'm sure you know, there's dolly's not far away...

>Definitely in the stages of planning
>scouting trips. Good excuses to
>go camping g with he
>kids, I've never actually talked
>to a unit warden. How
>do you go about that?
>

Call the main G&F Office and find out who the warden is for that particular unit. They will usually give you their contact information and you can call them and ask specific information. Don?t be discouraged if they don't call you back right away or answer immediately. They are usually pretty busy and work odd hours at times. I would definitely have a map of the unit when you can and a notepad to capture any tidbits he/she may be able to provide. Good luck

BOHNTR )))---------->

Fisherman I second this comment, I to went to ID last year and the best help and guidance I received was from the local warden. He went out of his way to chat with me about the ins and outs and were he had seen the most deer. The unit biologist on the other hand never returned any calls but might try your units and have better luck. Good luck and if you aren't seeing deer just keep moving till you do. 75% of the deer use 25% of the habitat.

Your neighbors son is likely your best source of information. If I were you, I would focus your vacation time around the 3rd week of November. Even though you have a rut hunt, finding and killing a big buck isn't a given. If you haven't hunted mule deer much the last few years, then I would recommend you practice judging their antlers if having a trophy for the wall is a priority for you. If you have been hunting a few days and are tired it is easy to convince yourself that a 20? 140? buck is bigger than he really is. Many hunters on these late hunts end up killing younger/smaller bucks. A lot also end up with ?tag soup?. If you want to get a big buck on this hunt, plan on putting in a lot of work. You might get lucky and find a big buck the first morning, but odds are you will have to work for it like your neighbors son did.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-19 AT 03:28PM (MST)[p]Thanks. Work ethic I have, I'm a "Wonder what's over the next ridge" kind of guy.

Some of my friends dont like hinting woth me because they know they will probably walk 6 miles a day at a minimum

Try the local chapter of the MDF and RMEF also they can be helpful as well. And the wardens can be awesome. Shoot in UT one of the sheriff deputies gave good scouting advise.

Good luck with that tag, hunting mulies in the rut is a blast, sadly and most likely we will never see you post anything else on this forum.

Aw, I doubt that. Anytime I actually join a Fourum I stick around.

And I think I'll probably be bit by the desert mule deer hunts that I used to love so much in AZ.

I've been just wildly distracted the last several years with archery Elk and flyfishing.

Aw, ya......not sure that is gonna happen. hope i am wrong, but history does repeat.

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

I never had the luck to draw any of the Owyhee units so I don't have boots on the ground experience. But from past research and hunting other southern Idaho units, you would be making a mistake hunting later in November. Those deer rut early. If it were my tag ide be there Nov 1-10.

Hey I drew too! Always hunted central Idaho and decided to try something new! Pretty excited but don't really know the area that well either. Not trying to steal anyone?s spots but I would appreciate some pointers. Anyone killed any big bucks?? thanks everybody!

I've spent a fair amount of time in this unit. I'd definitely be hunting the first part of the season more as I've seen several big bucks tending does Oct 22-24.
There are plenty of older bucks out there not every deer has the ability to grow 200" of bone.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom